Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Climate change

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:21 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This pic! See happy thread, it’s on the channel 10 news on the weather segment!!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:21 pm

I'm removing my self ban as it's clear that the drought is broken.

I was heading up to Toc this weekend, but there's been 36mm of rain in the 48 hours up to 9am today and it's going to be fkn freezing, so my chances of doing yard work are nil. I'm staying here. Sad

To put that 36mm in context, the average rainfall for April in Toc over 120 years is 32mm. So far this month they've had 88mm. Today's rainfall gets recorded as 1 May but otherwise would be over 100mm (April 2019 was 5mm)

Melbourne has already exceeded the annual average rainfall apparently and we're not quite in May. The Indian Dipole that drove the hot dry weather through 2019 has gone and farmers and water storage is the recipient.

If you don't know what the Indian Dipole is, you may or may not heard of the El Nino and La Nina https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/ninonina.html

The Indian Dipole is like the Indian Ocean equivalent, it just hasn't got much press on the Eastern seaboard

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-50602971

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 10:49 am

We had a warm few days in Perth last week.
One of the breaking stories on the 6 oçlock news was "Perth COULD have it's warmest November minimum on record". Reporters on the coast showing swimmers in the background while they spun what might happen over night... it didn't and we didn't hear another word on the subject.

So I looked at the November averages taken in Perth this year and compared them to last year (which I did the year before and found November 2021 was cooler than 2020).

Yet again, November averages have continued their downward trend.
This year, the average max of 25.5 is 0.6 less than last year and the min average is 1.0 degree cooler... imagine if those figures were reversed and the average was higher... Good Lord, we would have had greens glueing themselves to the freeway.

After the first week and a bit of December, our highest temp in Perth has been 31.7... 12 months ago there'd been 5 days warmer with a peak of 40.

No 6pm headlines?

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:03 pm

They tried global warming....

until they realised the facts didn't support that.

So they went with climate change, which is a real peach as the climate always changes. That's the thing about the climate. It changes.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:20 pm

Yes no such thing as climate change.
The moon landing was a hoax
The earth is flat.
The COVID vaccinations don’t work & are linked to 5G
Daniel Andrews only wanted mandatory masks because he was in a financial relationship with the Chinese
Vapour trails and tin hats

roar 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:23 pm

^^ Tobacco didn't cause any health issues, either.
Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 9:56 am

Hey, I'm just stating some facts.

And like I said, if the temperature average for November had of increased by the same value it has decreased over the last 3 years, it would be an "unprecedented catastrophe".

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 10:00 am

watt price tully wrote:
Yes no such thing as climate change.
The moon landing was a hoax
The earth is flat.
The COVID vaccinations don’t work & are linked to 5G
Daniel Andrews only wanted mandatory masks because he was in a financial relationship with the Chinese
Vapour trails and tin hats

It's funny, reading the book Sapiens and this is exactly what's described. Convincing humans of something, it's happened all through history.

To enable humans to co-exist, we need a belief or something we can trust, a myth will do, as long as they can convince a large portion of the population to follow a story, it will become the accepted way.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:24 pm

Skids wrote:
Hey, I'm just stating some facts.

….".

No, you were stating a (limited) observation. We were simply putting your subjective observations into a context or a pattern.

Skids Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:59 am

So December in Perth was one of the coolest I can remember. Not one day even close to the old 100 (37.8 ). The highest temp for the month being just 36.
Maximum temp average 2.3 degrees cooler and minimum average 1.2 degrees cooler than 2021... no headlines.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:12 am

That's got nothing to do with climate change. The concern is about increasing average global temperatures, not what it was like in your town. It's been quite cool here, too - although I put that down at least partly to the air-conditioning.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:13 am

Skids wrote:
So December in Perth was one of the coolest I can remember. Not one day even close to the old 100 (37.8 ). The highest temp for the month being just 36.
Maximum temp average 2.3 degrees cooler and minimum average 1.2 degrees cooler than 2021... no headlines.

And therefore what exactly?

There is no such thing as climate change?
That temperatures must always be linear?

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

https://www.usc.edu.au/about/unisc-news/news-archive/2022/september/inside-the-mind-of-a-sceptic-the-mental-gymnastics-of-climate-change-denial

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:15 am

To wit: https://public.wmo.int/en/media/news/climate-and-weather-extremes-2022-show-need-more-action

Quote:
The past eight years are on track to be the eight warmest on record. Global temperature figures for 2022 will be released in mid-January. The persistence of a cooling La Niña event, now in its third year, means that 2022 will not be the warmest year on record. But this cooling impact will be short-lived and will not reverse the long-term warming trend caused by record levels of heat-trapping greenhouse gases in our atmosphere.

The annual global temperature forecast by the UK’s Met Office suggests that the average global temperature for 2023 will be between 1.08 °C and 1.32°C (with a central estimate of 1.20 °C) above the average for the pre-industrial period (1850-1900). This will be the tenth year in succession that temperatures have reached at least 1°C above pre-industrial levels. The likelihood of – temporarily – breaching the 1.5°C limit of the Paris Agreement is increasing with time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 49, 50, 51
Page 51 of 51   

Jump to: