Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Speed Cameras

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, getting a fine for going a little bit under would be worse.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:56 pm

David wrote:
I do think there should be at least 5 km/h grace, for what it's worth. 3 km/h has always struck me as pretty draconian (and very different to the NSW/ACT model where, as far as I'm aware, you get a whole 10% margin of error).

I've noticed in NSW, there are warning signs a couple hundred metres before the mobile speed cameras. If you get get done up there, you totally deserve it.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:04 pm

Yep, it was the same in the ACT where I grew up. Hardly any police cars on the road, either. I still shudder to remember the time I did 180 km/h on the Tuggeranong Parkway racing a friend (don’t ask) and wasn’t even worried about being caught. Scary to think how differently my life might have gone if I had been (or worse, killed myself or someone else).
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:10 pm

David wrote:
Yep, it was the same in the ACT where I grew up. Hardly any police cars on the road, either. I still shudder to remember the time I did 180 km/h on the Tuggeranong Parkway racing a friend (don’t ask) and wasn’t even worried about being caught. Scary to think how differently my life might have gone if I had been (or worse, killed myself or someone else).

i had to laugh at that!! dead is dead!

I generally dont speed, it would be rare and not deliberate.
friday driving on a one lane road to Port Arlington i had a cop car behind and another in front, felt like a cross between witness protection and the fugitive! today i had one behind me through roadworks and a detour, i was sweating bullets, driving at the limit knowing full well my speedo reads 4 under, and my car is roadworthy and registered!! And i like cops!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 10:22 pm

David wrote:

180kmh, pay that.

When I was young I didn't have a car capable of that speed. my first car was a 74 HQ Kingswood that was absolutely flat knacker at 150.

The Redline can go from 100 to 140 in an eye twitch so I'll routinely get up around there on the drive up north when overtaking dawdlers. Dead straight road, visibility for ages, safe as houses.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 11:35 pm

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

i had to laugh at that!! dead is dead!

I generally dont speed, it would be rare and not deliberate.
friday driving on a one lane road to Port Arlington i had a cop car behind and another in front, felt like a cross between witness protection and the fugitive! today i had one behind me through roadworks and a detour, i was sweating bullets, driving at the limit knowing full well my speedo reads 4 under, and my car is roadworthy and registered!! And i like cops!!

I wouldn't dream of it nowadays, that's for sure! I try to keep within the speed limit wherever possible, though it's certainly easy to slip over a bit from time time. But whenever I recall that singular piece of teenage stupidity, I do come around to the view that maybe 18-year-olds shouldn't have licences. Embarassed

eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 2:14 am

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
David wrote:
I do think there should be at least 5 km/h grace, for what it's worth. 3 km/h has always struck me as pretty draconian (and very different to the NSW/ACT model where, as far as I'm aware, you get a whole 10% margin of error).

I've noticed in NSW, there are warning signs a couple hundred metres before the mobile speed cameras. If you get get done up there, you totally deserve it.

Also got big reflective stickers on the rear, very thankful for them! Was flying home from training last year on the Hume through Albury and my lights just caught something and I looked and quickly slowed down, no idea what I was doing but I wasn’t having any trouble overtaking anyone!!!

But I think cops are more effective in making people slow down. You get a speeding fine it’s a few weeks later. At least when you get done by the cops you might think ok I was stupid, better slow down. Last fine I got I was 1k from losing my licence, now I use cruise control on the freeway!
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 9:36 am

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:

180kmh, pay that.

When I was young I didn't have a car capable of that speed. my first car was a 74 HQ Kingswood that was absolutely flat knacker at 150.

The Redline can go from 100 to 140 in an eye twitch so I'll routinely get up around there on the drive up north when overtaking dawdlers. Dead straight road, visibility for ages, safe as houses.

My first car was also a HQ, 72 panel van. I don't remember the speeds I got up to!
My second car was a '63 Vauxhall Cresta. I do remember hitting 110 MPH on a dirt road near Romsey. That was bloody stupid.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:30 am

Oh geez, the HQ panel van? Bet you wish you still had that.
roar 

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:54 am

We had a HQ Statesman as our family car 1995-2005. It was great but unfortunately, no garage meant rust got the better of it.
Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 6:32 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I do, it was a Kingswood with a Premier front, metalic blue with extractors. The rear was lined with vinyl and studs. The ultimate 'shaggin waggin'.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 7:11 pm

Bruce Gonsalves wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I do, it was a Kingswood with a Premier front, metalic blue with extractors. The rear was lined with vinyl and studs. The ultimate 'shaggin waggin'.

I'm feeling a disturbance downstairs. A mate of mine had one in British racing green, fully kitted out with fitted mattress in the back and a custom 4 speed manual floor shift. I could have killed him when he sold it when he got married without giving me the chance to buy it from him.

Mine was the equivalent of the Town Bike. One of the local publicans had bought it new, used it to take caravans on holidays then each of his several sons used it as their first car. 74 model, 173 red motor, faded green paint, 3 on the tree, she was a work horse. I was still in high school when I got it in 82, the deal was mum paid $500 for the car, I spent the Xmas holidays working in a bakery to pay for the repairs to get it roadworthy and the roadworthy, dad paid the rego.

Geez I had some fun in that thing, broke a few laws and more articles of common sense and lived through it

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: