Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Collingwood’s forgotten favourites

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood had very high expectations for (from the top of my head) Terry Keys, Graham Reitchman, Mark Orval, Danny Roach, Col Kinnear, (there was also another Kinnear), Shane Muir, Chad Rintuol, Chad Morrison, Billy Morrison, Neville Shaw, Aaron James, Victor Daicos, Jamie Barham, Heath Sheppard, Leigh Walker, Colin Carpenter, Andrew Tranquilly, Athos H....kis, Paul Rizoniko, Glen McLean, Graham Atkins, Ahmed, Shorty Anderson, Bill Valli etc etc but for various reasons, they didnt work out. Like our grand final record, I have always wondered if this was all sheer bad luck or a bloody curse Question Sad Confused
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:38 pm

Lazza wrote:
Collingwood had very high expectations for (from the top of my head) Terry Keys, Graham Reitchman, Mark Orval, Danny Roach, Ben Kinnear, (there was also another Kinnear), Shane Muir, Chad Rintuol, Chad Morrison, Billy Morrison, Neville Shaw, Aaron James, Victor Daicos, Jamie Barham, Heath Sheppard, Leigh Walker, Colin Carpenter, Andrew Tranquilly, Athos H....kis, Paul Rizoniko, Glen McLean, Graham Atkins, Ahmed, Shorty Anderson, Bill Valli etc etc but for various reasons, they didnt work out. Like our grand final record, I have always wondered if this was all sheer bad luck or a bloody curse Question Sad Confused

Laz, that's quite a passing parade of under achievement there!
Poor trading, poor drafting. Injury prone. Many permutations at play here.
Many of these players were very talented and simply suffered from lack of opportunity and had to be moved on to other clubs; I was sad to see them go.

Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm

I used to love watching Neville Shaw. My favourite Shaw, but a fleeting career. Was there some story explaining his brief tenure?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 9:33 pm

I don’t really remember seeing the end come for Neville (although I saw him do his knee - I think we all expected him to come back because he was only 21 when that happened) but I’ve gone and had a look at the stats and the following might tell a tale.

He played 20 games in 1984 and 15 in 1985 under John Cahill. He probably would have played more games both years but he was suspended for a couple of games in 1984 and hurt his shoulder and missed 5 games in 1985. Bob Rose coached at the start of 1986 and Matthews took over from round 4. Neville played the first 8 games of that season in a row (the last a drubbing against Hawthorn) and never played in the seniors again. He did his ACL in that match and I think the Coach thought Neville would not get his pace back.

The end of 1986 was a time of great change. By round 1 of 1987, the list was transformed by the arrival of Paul Morwood from South, Darren Atkins and Tim Harrington from North, Glenn Howard from Hawthorn, Grant Fielke (who was supposed to be a star), Michael Christian and Craig Starcevich and the introduction of Gavin the Great, Gavin Crosisca, Jason Croall, Hyrousalakis and Keays - and later that year Alan Richardson, Mick McGuane and Paul Tuddenham, as welL as Mark Orval. There was a real clean sweep through the place with a raft of other players leaving the Club at the end of 1986, including some very prominent stars (Ricky Barham, Greg Phillips, Gary Shaw, Bruce Abernethy, Graeme Allen, Mark Williams, Billy Picken, Mike Richardson - and don’t forget that Raines was cleared to Essendon during the 1986 year).

It was also, of course, a time of great upheaval internally - the fund raising campaign to save the Club was launched (IIRC) late that season - I remember the Waverley game in the last round of 1986 against St Kilda for 2 things - BT’s 100 for the season and watching a piece of St Kilda-supporting filth scream “Not one cent, not one $&#@ing cent!” as the official call for donations was made over the PA.

It was a dreadful time to be trying to make your way at Collingwood and his injury stopped him in his tracks. He went to West Adelaide and played there under Kevin Morris as coach. He won their best and fairest in 1988 and 1989.
Uncle Jack Virgo

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 am

Thanks P4S. Couldn't have asked or expected a more comprehensive assessment
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:35 am

Ben Kinnear lol. I remember going to a game in Adelaide back in the day, (2004ish?) he was so bad the cheer squad were ducking, as a joke worried the ball would hit them in the head. I called out sarcastically "What are you worried about? At best, he will kick it into the man on the mark... And, sure enough.. he did!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 7:29 am

Uncle Jack wrote:

You’re welcome, Uncle Jack.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 1:25 pm

Uncle Jack wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^

What he said Cool

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:29 pm

I was always a big fan of Billy Picken - totally bummed we didn't get his offspring
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 2:32 pm

Ah Ben Kennear...

"Give him a whack in his far, Kinnear."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: