Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ban political comment

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:39 am
Post subject: Ban political commentReply with quote

My comments here relate to the great post from FootyMonster "Trump for our next pres? Make Collingwood win again". Perhaps this should be part of that thread but I believe it should be in its own posting.

In this forum we post about AFL in general and Collingwood in particular. We often disagree with each other and that's fine. Topics and comments sometimes drift away from Collingwood and that's ok. However, it's not ok when comments are directly political.

FootyMonster's post was satire at its best and it was brilliantly applied to Collingwood. I'd say that even if I supported Donald Trump. Heck, I've even been known to applaud good footy displayed by Carlton players. But comments posted by Abdul the Bull and Matt Dally in response to FootyMonster's post are straight out biased political comment.

I'd be happy to read their comments and views, but not in this forum. I'm not saying that we all have to be politically correct. I am saying that political comments have no place on Nick's. If I want to read political comments I can read The Age, or The Australian, or The New York Times. I hope that the mods agree with me.
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree 100% i have found in the past on here around election time people want to start turning comments Political.

Collingwood supporters come from all areas of the Political spectrum and all should be welcome.

As here your Political views don't matter. And should NOT in any way shape or form come into discussions.

All that matters on here is the Collingwood football club. And pushing for the betterment of the club.

Rant over.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:31 am

Why was my comment perceived to be political?
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:49 am

Whilst I'm not keen on banning stuff, I agree that there a many other places (including on this site) where people can be bombarded with commentary about Trump, Morrison, Andrews etc.. if they so wish.
It would be nice if the General Discussion list stuck to just Collingwood.

Also, bear in mind, that whilst FootyMonster's post was comedy, it was prefaced by political vitriol. The satire would've worked just as well without the "199% lying wannabe tyrant vermin" stuff.
You can't blame people for responding to political comments with political comments.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:06 am

We appreciate your feedback, and the mods team will discuss it, but as we are volunteers that don't have the opportunity to read every post, its nearly impossible to enforce.

What some see as fair comment, others see as "political" and with politicians of all stripes using sport as a vehicle for publicity sometimes it is on topic.

And just wait till Eddie announces his run at the federal Labor leadership!
derkd 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:40 am

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
We appreciate your feedback, and the mods team will discuss it, but as we are volunteers that don't have the opportunity to read every post, its nearly impossible to enforce.

What some see as fair comment, others see as "political" and with politicians of all stripes using sport as a vehicle for publicity sometimes it is on topic.

And just wait till Eddie announces his run at the federal Labor leadership!

I appreciate it can be hard to follow up every post. Indeed what defines a political post can be a grey area.

I think as along as the overt political comments are removed. Talking about Jeff Kennett as Hawthorn president...no need to stray unto politics.

Does not matter who the politian or party it is always going to be stepping on someones toes. I think the discussion on the club can be heated enough as it is sometimes, without adding politics to the fuel.

Again Eddie's run or not at politics is not a matter for this board. If someone wants to start a political forum feel free...it has no place in discussions on a club page...I think anyway.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:53 am

The soretoothsayer makes a valid point regarding the preface to FootyMonster's post.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:37 pm

I think the majority of wrong thinking people are right.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:17 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:

Also, bear in mind, that whilst FootyMonster's post was comedy, it was prefaced by political vitriol. The satire would've worked just as well without the "199% lying wannabe tyrant vermin" stuff.
You can't blame people for responding to political comments with political comments.

I agree totally with this. Footy Monster introduced his post with some abusive language directed at Trump. If we had a ban on all political comments, then it would have been necessary to remove FootyMonster's post, and then we would have lost what everyone agrees was a hilarious and enjoyable thread. So I am definitely against any blanket ban on political comments. If such a ban were to come into place, I think this Bulletin Board would become very sterile. Every social question ultimately has political implications, and sport is is a social phenonomen. I think every case should be examined on its merits (or lack thereof). : if any poster is outraged by what they perceive to be an offensive "political comment", then they can make a complaint to the mods. Definitely no overarching ban, as it would damage the spontaneity and the levels of humour and enjoyment currently possible on Nicks BB.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 pm

mattdally wrote:

i think the comment of yours that was perceived to be political was this one:
Unfortunately the USA people are the ones who are going to suffer now the criminals are back in charge.
I think that it is considered as such because it doesn't conform to the spirit of satire animating the thread. It simply contains your view that the Democrats are the real criminals rather than Trump.
TBH, while I disagree totally with your view, I still don't want a ban that would prevent you from posting it. If others find it objectionable/irreleveant or whatever, they can appeal to the mods to have it removed.

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:39 am

Magpietothemax writes with logic.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:36 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
mattdally wrote:

Unfortunately the USA people are the ones who are going to suffer now the criminals are back in charge.
I think that it is considered as such because it doesn't conform to the spirit of satire animating the thread. It simply contains your view that the Democrats are the real criminals rather than Trump.
TBH, while I disagree totally with your view, I still don't want a ban that would prevent you from posting it. If others find it objectionable/irreleveant or whatever, they can appeal to the mods to have it removed.

Aren't they all criminals regardless of party? Whoever wins - criminals will be in charge - maybe my point was misunderstood Very Happy
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm

mattdally wrote:
Magpietothemax wrote:
mattdally wrote:

Aren't they all criminals regardless of party? Whoever wins - criminals will be in charge - maybe my point was misunderstood Very Happy

I agree : they are all criminals. I think maybe your post was ambiguous if that was what you were meaning to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Feedback All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: