Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Official Playing List

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

35forever wrote:
Still.
All these months & it still gives me visceral pain to see their names. Stevo, Ads, Flip, Bos... Hard to describe, it’s like a fist grabbing my insides, & a hard feeling radiating up to my throat. It’s similar to the pangs you’d get as a kid when you saw a girl you still liked with someone else. I can’t avoid looking at What could be a once in a lifetime group of kids we picked up, & knowing, without doubt that they’d be a lot better with Treloar & Stephenson providing speed & run. And goals. And a bit more too. I can’t think of two guys who gave the side a bigger lift the moment they arrived than these two. And I certainly can’t believe we judged their ability & usefulness on the most �$%$ed up season in VFL/AFL history. Are we lucky they didn’t dump Grundy, Steelo, & Cox too?
I’m sure everyone has a perfectly valid & sensible reason they had to go, just don’t bother. I’ve never heard of a team that did things anything like as self-destructive as we did in our ‘suicide decade‘ & I cant shake the feeling that the next spectacularly stupid move by a club will be by us too.
We have the form.

Ok fire away...

Good post. Stevo and Ads provided real pace and game-breaking style and it's not so easy to replace. However...
+ They're both a bit f---ed up. Let's face it. It's true. Lots of money too. Stevo, with hand on heart, was terrible for us for two years. He's 50-50 how his career ends up from this point. Ads, I'm sorry, but I love his passion, ability, speed, the excitement he brings but he's getting injured and I'm pretty sure the intel at Pies inner sanctum says he's a risk.
+ Flip. Has a crack, does some nice things but let's face it - for his position he's not quick enough.
+ Bos. I'm sorry, not good enough. Not smart enough. Passionate, fast, young and may prove me wrong. But not up to it for Top 4 kinda stuff. Sorry, I want a kid his size and pace to be real game breaking type of player.
+ Given all of the above, we've reduced the $ significantly and have brought in 5 blokes who all look great 'potentially'. Two or three in particular.
Summary? Shit situation to be in but I don't mind the logic with outgoing, $ savings and potential we've brought in.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:30 am

I'll bite:
Treloar - Gun, brilliant footballer. One massive issue - scoreboard impact - not goals directly, but being involved in scoring chains and goal assists - 2020 and
2019 he was ranked in the bottom 2% of all midfielders. Not good enough.

Stevo - Clearly something was not right. 2018 was amazing, 2019 betting scandal, 2020 too many rumored issues - true or not, clearly he has fallen out with the club. Didn't look interested at all this season - did he peak already?

Phillips - courageous, endurance machine. Poor kick and he seems to have lost some pace over the last two seasons. Big salary offloaded - right call.

Atu - unknown - not sure why he was traded, but maybe club had seen enough and decided he wasn't good enough.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:00 pm

mattdally wrote:
I'll bite:
Treloar - Gun, brilliant footballer. One massive issue - scoreboard impact - not goals directly, but being involved in scoring chains and goal assists - 2020 and

Stevo - Clearly something was not right. 2018 was amazing, 2019 betting scandal, 2020 too many rumored issues - true or not, clearly he has fallen out with the club. Didn't look interested at all this season - did he peak already?

Phillips - courageous, endurance machine. Poor kick and he seems to have lost some pace over the last two seasons. Big salary offloaded - right call.

Atu - unknown - not sure why he was traded, but maybe club had seen enough and decided he wasn't good enough.

Excellent synopsis. I feel that most of us are rather less troubled by the talent leaving than the method adopted. The real issue for me is that Ads and Stevo were only recently re-signed and yet they were unceremoniously dumped. The greatest issue in all of this is the grossly inept player management.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:28 pm

Abdul The Bull wrote:
mattdally wrote:
I'll bite:

Excellent synopsis. I feel that most of us are rather less troubled by the talent leaving than the method adopted. The real issue for me is that Ads and Stevo were only recently re-signed and yet they were unceremoniously dumped. The greatest issue in all of this is the grossly inept player management.

That's the issue for me. It's not that we let them go. The issue is what we got for them. Treloar cost two high end draft picks. Stephenson cost us the high end draft draft pick we would have used on a Collingwood supporter in Aaron Naughton.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:06 am

MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Abdul The Bull wrote:
mattdally wrote:
I'll bite:

That's the issue for me. It's not that we let them go. The issue is what we got for them. Treloar cost two high end draft picks. Stephenson cost us the high end draft draft pick we would have used on a Collingwood supporter in Aaron Naughton.

Yeah, Naughton would have been handy. There were plenty of good players in that draft. In 2018 no one would have denied we picked the best player in that draft. Problem is - if Stevo was that good then why weren't 17 clubs after him rather than just the one?
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:11 am

Looking back at Callum Twomey's 2017 Phantom Draft was interesting.
He had Nathan Murphy at 16 and Stephenson at 17.
Let's hope Murphy can get a good crack at it this season.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:40 pm

mattdally wrote:
if Stevo was that good then why weren't 17 clubs after him rather than just the one?

He has a heart condition, remember? Takes medication every day

Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:28 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
mattdally wrote:
if Stevo was that good then why weren't 17 clubs after him rather than just the one?

He has a heart condition, remember? Takes medication every day

He certainly had a 'heart' condition last season.... #rollseyes#

slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:11 pm

Stephenson will be the one that we miss the most this season.
His ability to kick goals from out of nowhere is not something we that have in abundance.
Hopefully someone steps up and takes their opportunity.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:58 am

Yeah, we might have someone that actually plays the other three quarters.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:20 pm

Does anyone know how Briskey is travelling? I see we still have two spots - is that on a deadline? Can we leave them vacant?
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:59 pm

^If he gets signed on, I wonder if we have a plan for the final spot?
themonk 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:11 am

What's with Trent Bianco, when recruited he was 178 cm and now he's listed as 188 cm.

Did he really grow 10 cm in just over 1 year?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:05 pm

I very much doubt it. I reckon it’s a misprint where it was meant to be 178 cm
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:40 pm

Any one hear Brisley not being picked up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7   

Jump to: