Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Hall of Fame Thread. Fighting for Collingwood recognition

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say they'll wait until 2027-2030 to induct our guys as Legends.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:43 pm

Presti35 wrote:
So tomorrow night will be the first of four consecutive nights of interviews and highlights packages to confirm the newest additions to the HoF.

There'll be seven new inductees and one new elevated legend.

https://www.youngwitness.com.au/story/6769141/hall-of-fame-to-go-ahead-afl-confirms/?cs=11836

These are the Collingwood players that I believe have a good case to be considered for the the HoF in the near future:

Harold Rumney
Billy Picken
Thorold Merrett
Darren Millane
Marcus Whelan
Ray Gabelich
And of course Dane Swan when he becomes eligible.

Obviously we wont get to see them all go in at once, but we might be able to see one go in in the next 4 days.

As far as legends go, Dick Lee must be elevated to Legend status. And it should have happened years ago. 230 games with 707 goals, 7x leading goal kicker, 3x premiership player, former Collingwood captain and team of the century member, 19 games for Victoria and one of the original stars of the game.

Other Collingwood identities that could be considered for Legends status in the future:
Michael Malthouse (Joint with WCE and other clubs. A solid premiership player and a superstar coach. Only recently got in the HoF itself).

Jack Regan (The Prince of Full-backs. Snubbed in the AFL ToC. Considered the best fullback of the VFL era by many).

Syd Coventry (Only he, Tuck and Reynolds are 4x Premiership captains. Syd of course was captain of the mighty machine, winning 4 in a row. A Brownlow medallist and Collingwoods ToC captain).

Peter Daicos (A bit of an outside chance, but he really was a superfreak and the first of his kind).

Albert Collier (6 flags, a Brownlow, 200+ games) & Harry Collier (4 flags, a Brownlow, 250+ games).

I don't really think that Daics should be rated "an outside chance". He was THE main reason a whole generation of people watched footy. He did't win multiple flags (but there was never a better goal scored in a Grand Final than either of his in the 1990 Grand Final), or kick 100 goals in a season (largely because he didn't play exclusively as a forward until his legs were stuffed - it is a measure of his greatness that he could transition from being the most exquisitely talented midfielder of his - or probably any other - era to being the greatest small forward of all time) or win a Brownlow (he wasn't that sort of player - he was the guy who did things repeatedly that won games with a few touches) but he is the single most special player who ever took the field, week in, week out for 15 seasons. Really, which other player managed to kick 8 goals as a small forward in his last full appearance before retiring because he actually couldn't do it physically anymore - and against opposition that played in the previous Grand Final?

It is an absolute joke that Peter Daicos is not an "AFL Legend" but Baldock is. Daicos was twice the footballer - and for twice as long (and no-one could seriously rate Baldock as a Legend because he coached teams to some premierships in Tasmania).

He was also immeasurably better as a footballer on any fair view than each of Blight, Murray, Nicholls and Whitten, at the least. It is, of course, a joke that Robran is a Legend despite never playing at the highest level available but there are diplomatic reasons for that, so there is no point commenting on it, really.

Along with Daicos, the following players that I saw that you haven't mentioned in this thread should be elevated to Legend status: Brereton, Wayne Carey, Graham Cornes, Glendinning, Greig, Knights, Koutoufides, Denis Marshall, McLeod, Peter McKenna, Platten, Quinlan, Ron Todd and Michael Tuck. Either that or they have to create some intermediate category that is just below "Legend" - looking through the list of players who have been put in the Hall of Fame, I don't think it is churlish to say that there are quite a few players in there who wouldn't really be worthy to tie the boots of the guys I just listed.

As for coaches, John Cahill, Oatey and Fos Williams should all be Legends if Kennedy and Sheedy are.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I don't really think that Daics should be rated "an outside chance".

I guess just don't want to seem to pro-Pies, even tho this is a Maggies page. And seeing that we hardly ever get a mention with these sorts of things has also made me believe there isn't much chance of a Collingwood player being elevated.

I'd love to see Daics go in, but I think if they were going to put a Collingwood player in, it'd be Lee, Syd Coventry or Rose first. All deserving in my view. But how do we possibly order them??

And all this is not to say that Kennedy doesn't deserve it. Amazing he wasn't already in there as a legend.

Pies4shaw wrote:
It is an absolute joke that Peter Daicos is not an "AFL Legend" but Baldock is. Daicos was twice the footballer - and for twice as long (and no-one could seriously rate Baldock as a Legend because he coached teams to some premierships in Tasmania).

This also brings up the point that older generation identities should be going in first. But they're obviously not. Dick Lee should have gone in years ago. In fact, I'd like to see anyone that the knowledgeable football historians consider a legend from before 1960 be elevated straight away. Then address the 60's & 70's, the 80's & 90's and then the current era.

I dont want to be sitting here in ten years saying "oh look Judd is a legend" but then still have legends pre 1960 waiting to be elevated.

Pies4shaw wrote:
Along with Daicos, the following players that I saw that you haven't mentioned in this thread should be elevated to Legend status: Brereton, Wayne Carey, Graham Cornes, Glendinning, Greig, Knights, Koutoufides, Denis Marshall, McLeod, Peter McKenna, Platten, Quinlan, Ron Todd and Michael Tuck.

Again, where do we draw the line? I think I've mentioned Carey. That'll happen someday. Ron Todd only just went into the actual Hall recently which is also mind boggling.

Pies4shaw wrote:
As for coaches, John Cahill, Oatey and Fos Williams should all be Legends if Kennedy and Sheedy are.

Is it an idea to elevate coaches and players separately? We'll maybe not separately, as some coaches had great playing careers too, but just at the same time as a player is elevated too? I dont want to be waiting forever the see Malthouse go in.

So yeah, based on everything, I think Daicos is an outside chance because they'll simply put too many others in first. And where do we draw the line? I'm sure the other clubs also have players they believe should be getting the honour too and yes its hard to decide who's in and who has to wait, but at the same time, I think 2021 gives them a chance to right a few wrongs here:

Quote:
The Hall of Fame's selection committee will also consider the elevation of a number of deceased candidates for Legend status ahead of its 25th anniversary in 2021.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/134896/hall-of-fame-changes-pave-way-for-females-to-be-inducted

If this goes ahead, then we really shouldn't see any deserving legends pre-1960 without the honour going forward. Then we'll see a legend elevated every two years from 2022 on, which gives us a chance to see some of the guys P4S mentioned go in.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:31 pm

Someone mentioned in the media that Luke Ball is now eligible to go into the Hall, but we really need to hope Thorold Merrett, Marcus Whelan and Harold Rumney get a chance to go into the hall first.

Lets hope we get a player in over the next three nights.

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Johnathan Brown and Simon Black are inducted tonight. Well deserved.

But gee whizz, imagine the uproar if two Magpies went in together?

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:39 pm

Dean Cox and Greg Phillips go into the hall tonight.

Phillips did play for Collingwood briefly, but is recognised from his SANFL fame.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:46 pm

If Dean Cox is in, they’d better give Brodie his gong this year, too.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:58 pm

On the final night in 2020, media personality Dennis Cometti and Port Adelaide Magpie John Abley go into the hall.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:07 pm

With players from WCE, Brisbane x2, Port Adelaide/SANFL x2 and a media personality from WA going into the hall, I think it's Vic-Bias that a player from St Kilda went in and the legend comes from Hawthorn. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:20 pm

I'll be hoping Thorold Merrett gets into the hall next year. He'll be 87 in September. He and Weideman are the only living 2x premiership players for Collingwood.

I wonder why he hasn't gone in yet??

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:54 pm

Is this year the 125th anniversary of VFL/AFL?

Will expect a few big ones to be inducted this year. I recall hearing that they were going to induct quite a large number in the 125th year.

Collingwood chances for a HoF induction:

Thorold Merrett - 180 games. 2 Premierships. Collingwood Team of the Century. Astounding that he is not already in the hall. He needs to go in this year. He'll be 88 in September. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorold_Merrett

Harold Rumney - 186 games. 5 Premierships. Collingwood Team of the Century. Passed away in 1987. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Rumney

Marcus Whelan - 173 games. 2 Premierships. Brownlow Medal. Collingwood Team of the Century. Passed away in 1973. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcus_Whelan

Ray Gabelich - 160 games. 1 Premiership. Passed away in 2000. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Gabelich

Billy Picken - 240 games. Collingwood Team of the Century. Turns 65 in June. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Picken

Darren Millane - 147 games. 1 Premiership. Collingwood Team of the Century. A tragic story that we all know. Passed away in 1991 aged 26.

Sav Rocca - 156 games. 748 goals. Only two players in the top 20 goal kickers of all time are not in the Hall of Fame; Sav Rocca and Lance Franklin. Buddy will be inducted the second he is eligible and will probably be elevated to legend status before many others too. I think Sav is deserving to go into the hall, but to be honest, they'll probably put him in the NFL hall before the AFL does it. Crying or Very sad Turns 48 in November, so might be on the waiting list.

And of course Dane Swan when he becomes eligible (2022?).

Unfortunately we have a few guys who will be inducted posthumously. Rumney, Gabbo and Whelan all deserve to go in and will in time (if not this year).

I think Merrett should be inducted this year considering he is 87 years old and very deserving. Picken might have to wait a bit longer as he is only 64, but also deserving to be in the hall. Sav is 47 and the AFL probably haven't even considered him even though he is a top 20 goal kicker.

That brings up the Millane induction. A career tragically cut shot and somewhat a controversial choice. Theres no doubt the calibre of this player is deserving to be in the hall. And if Coleman can be elevated to Legend status with only 98 games, then it should be no issue. When the AFL is ready, I think he'll go in. But I dont know if that's this year.

Collingwood chances for a Legend status:

Dick Lee - 230 games. 707 goals. 7x leading goal kicker. 3 Premierships. Collingwood team of the Century. 19 games for Victoria. Surely this is the year. This HAS to be the year.

Jack Regan (The Prince of Full-backs. Snubbed in the AFL ToC. Considered the best fullback of the VFL era by many).

Syd Coventry (Only he, Tuck and Reynolds are 4x Premiership captains. Syd of course was captain of the mighty machine, winning 4 in a row. A Brownlow medallist and Collingwoods ToC captain).

Albert Collier (6 flags, a Brownlow, 200+ games) & Harry Collier (4 flags, a Brownlow, 250+ games).

Peter Daicos (I dont know if this is the year, but he really was a superfreak and the first of his kind. Would love to see it happen, but there's a few more that the AFL will consider first).

Mick Malthouse (Only recently inducted into the hall itself. Will be elevated to Legend at some point. Nobody has coached more games).

Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:22 pm

Does anyone know when the HoF date is going to be? And if it's true that they're going to elevate a number of Legends this year?
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 11:25 pm

Any love for one of my all time favourite footballers, Phil Carman? Controversial choice I know but on footy talent alone, he deserves it.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:19 pm

Adam Goodes has denied his invitation to be inducted in 2021.
Presti35 Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:26 pm

Presti35 wrote:
Does anyone know when the HoF date is going to be? And if it's true that they're going to elevate a number of Legends this year?

Still no date. I'm assuming that covid/lockdowns has stuffed this up.

I guess it's possible the inductions could go ahead after the season has ended?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11   

Jump to: