Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got MMM going in the background, they've been doing little tributes all day.

I thought he was older, damn shame

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:07 pm

I saw a tweet earlier today (apologies to the author but I can't find it now) that went along the lines of "The tallest tree in the forest has fallen". Says it all for me.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:02 pm

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/michael-gudinski-was-a-fearless-advocate-for-australian-music/13206622

A true self made man. Some may consider them untrustworthy, you only have to look at the quality of the musicians and other people he had contact with, who praise the bloke to see that's bullshit.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:47 am
Post subject: Re: RIP Michael GudinskiReply with quote

think positive wrote:
wow, dies in his sleep aged 68?

i dont follow behind the scenes music people much, but even i know this dude, how sad

https://www.9news.com.au/national/michael-gudinski-dead-mushroom-records-kylie-minogue/d5b291bb-3459-40bd-a414-b0cc241a189d?ocid=edm-nine.com.au-breakingnews--210302&mktg_scr=edm-breakingnews

Sad. Died in his sleep at 68. Young. We all seemed to know him. Popular and commercial music had a big reach and influence when we were younger.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:52 pm

March, 2021

So we can't get through two praccy matches without more injury carnage... Sadly, this isn't even remotely surprising. Sad

This must be Steele's first soft-tissue injury of his career. Father time calling?

It might be time for a poll on whether Nicksters believe our club has bad injury management. Expect more tired excuses about it "not being soft tissue", etc. But do people really believe you can have ten years of "bad luck"?
roar 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:08 pm
Post subject: Vale Pierre BaroniReply with quote

Long time PBS presenter and Melbourne Soul DJ legend, Pierre Baroni passed away a couple of days ago after an 18 month battle with cancer.

His program, Soulgroove 66, aired on Saturdays 3-5pm, and was an absolute treasure of entertainment and information, covering Soul and RnB from the 50s to today. Saturday afternoons just won't be the same.

R.I.P. Soul Brother.

Last edited by roar on Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:32 pm
Post subject: Re: Vale Pierre BaroniReply with quote

roar wrote:
Long time PBS presenter and Melbourne Soul DJ legend, Pierre Baroni passed away a couple of days ago after an 18 month battle with cancer.

His program, Soulgroove 66, aired on Saturdays 3-5pm, and was an absolute treasure of entertainment and information, covering Soul and RnB from the 50s to today. Saturday afternoon's just won't be the same.

R.I.P. Soul Brother.

That’s so sad. He ran one of the many excellent shows on PBS. He sounded reasonably young. I’ve subscribed to his programme before. Terrible news.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:08 pm

Pendlebury was quoted blaming Howe's injury for the club failing last year. Shocked

It's okay, as long as he doesn't really believe it...

At the start of the season, the Pies were playing some of their best footy ever, Pendles said. But IIRC Howe was injured late in a game that we were about to lose...

piedys wrote:
Johnno75 wrote:
At least we will find out the truth about Grundy now.

The TRUTH?! You can't handle the Truth!

I guess that means the truth is he was completely injury-free (except possibly psychologically).
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:16 pm
Post subject: Vale Murray WalkerReply with quote

One of the greatest and most colourful F1 commentators. He genuinely loved F1 racing and commentated some of the greatest moments.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:19 pm

97, good innings, and he really was very good, i used to watch every grand Prix! RIP
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:54 am

James and Murray were a fantastic double act. He knew his stuff and knew how to communicate it. One of the greats.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:51 pm
Post subject: Vale Doug ParkinsonReply with quote

Nice little writeup I saw on Facebook.

It is with a deep sense of sadness, and almost disbelief, that GYAV advises the sudden death of iconic Australian performer, DOUG PARKINSON, who passed away at his home this afternoon (March 15, 2021) of a suspected heart attack.
‘Exciting’ and ‘impassioned’ are just two words that could be used to describe the unmistakable soulful voice of this singing legend. The smoky-voiced singer was as near to being a household name as any and enjoyed a five decade long and remarkably varied career in the Australian entertainment industry.
Doug was the recipient of an avalanche of awards and accolades during his incredible career. He had a sound that was instantly recognisable and unmistakable, and his voice radiated the very essence of soul. He continued to receive standing ovations on the stages of Australian clubs and theatres right till the end.
Doug Parkinson was born in Newcastle on October 30, 1946, the eldest son of a Welsh mother and an Australian/German father. The family arrived in Sydney when Doug was only five years of age, his formative years spent growing up on Sydney’s northern beaches surfing with the likes of the great Australian surfer Nat Young.
Parkinson began singing while still at school and his first band “Strings and Things”, formed with the children of test cricketing great Sid Barnes, made a minor impact around Sydney. It was Sid Barnes himself who suggested Doug study at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music.
In 1967 Doug and his new band “The Questions” played as support artists on the national Australian tour of “The Who” and “The Small Faces”. Soon after he formed “Doug Parkinson in Focus” which was the ‘musician’s musician’s’ band of the time. The band would later prove to be a benchmark in Australian music folklore.
With a new manager - Michael Browning (AC/DC, INXS, Noiseworks) the band recorded the Beatles song, “Dear Prudence”. Parkinson reinterpreted this masterpiece and made the song his own. In 1969, the recording topped the charts. It became a cult recording for Parkinson and his band and was followed by another spectacular chart-topper titled “Without You”.
The same year they won Hoadleys Battle of the Sounds and played to sell-out shows around the country. In 1973 Doug took on his first major role in the concert production of The Who’s rock opera “Tommy”.
In 1975/76 Parkinson appeared in more stage shows, “Sgt Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” and “Ned Kelly”. A steady stream of music and theatre roles followed.
In 1978 he teamed up with an old friend, Duncan McGuire, to form The Southern Star Band. Once again it was a band made in heaven. The group included guitar whiz Tommy Emanuel, drum prodigy Mark Kennedy, and pianist Frank Esler Smith, who later went on to record and arrange the lush string arrangements for Air Supply.
The Southern Star Band recorded the album “I’ll Be Around” which produced two top 10 hits, “The Hungry Years” and the title track, “I’ll Be Around”. The following year they supported Bob Marley and the Wailers on what was to become the reggae king’s last tour prior to his untimely death.
Parkinson continued to tour throughout 1979/80, and in 1981 recorded a solo album titled “Heartbeat to Heartbeat”, which produced another top 10 hit – “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore” with vocalist Broderick Smith.
The early 80s saw Parkinson star in the role of Judas in the stage production of “Jesus Christ Superstar”.
In 1989 Parkinson’s reputation as an exceptional actor/singer landed him the plum role of ‘Pop Fin’ in the lavish musical “Big River”. The production ran for 18 months.
Parkinson then continued to shine in more theatre productions; perhaps his most memorable role was when he starred as ‘The Big Bopper’ in the smash-hit musical “Buddy”. The show became the box office phenomenon of its time and Parkinson’s rendition of “Chantilly Lace” evolved into a showstopper.
During this period, Parkinson also somehow found the time to appear as the Barrister in Mike Batt’s musical production of “The Hunting of the Snark”.
Parkinson went on to secure the role of Vince Fontaine in the production of “Grease - The Arena Spectacular”. Together with fellow luminaries Anthony Warlow, Craig MacLachlan, Glenn Shorrock, and Danni Minogue, this unique theatrical event redefined the phrase “box office smash hit”.
He next starred in “Happy Days - The Mega Arena Spectacular”. In his role as ‘Big Al Delvechio’, Doug stopped the show night after night with his rendition of the timeless classic “Unchained Melody”. He also starred as ‘The Cowardly Lion’ in the multi-million dollar production of “The Wizard of Oz”, directed by Nancy Hayes.
In 2004, Doug rekindled his passion to record again; the result - a beautiful selection of soul and jazz standards. The album went on to receive rave reviews.
During his extraordinary career, Doug appeared alongside many international stars including The Who, The Small Faces, Paul Jones, The Four Tops, The Temptations, The Pointer Sisters, Thelma Houston, Bob Marley and the Wailers, and Randy Crawford, just to name a few.
In 2014, Parkinson was awarded the ACE (Australian Club Entertainment) Award for Lifetime Achievement.
More recently, he toured in clubs and theatres with a tribute to English rock legend, Joe Cocker, in which he was billed as "Australia's greatest soul voice".
His imposing physique and stage presence held the audience’s attention in a vice-like grip wherever he appeared. His voice will remain part of Australian music heritage. He was an Australian national treasure; one of our greatest voices and musical mainstays.
The world is indeed a better place for having had Doug Parkinson in it. One of the truly versatile talents of Australian entertainment, he will be remembered as a true legend and icon.
Our condolences to Susie, and his many friends and fans. This is indeed a great shock to us all.
Vale Doug Parkinson – the ‘singers singer’.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1452180818436541

His version of Dear Prudence. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU2DSrY9A6s

I remember him from back in the day. The boy had a voice on him.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:51 pm

So sad. Vale indeed. His version of “Dear Prudence” takes me back, ‘‘twas a ripper.

What’s all this euphemistic stuff about dying peacefully in their sleep? (Parkinson and Gudinski) ??

roar 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:28 am
Post subject: Re: Vale Doug ParkinsonReply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

I remember him from back in the day. The boy had a voice on him.

And pretty cool facial hair.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:36 am
Post subject: RIP StropReply with quote

half of a truly magnificent comedy duo, probably more than half, wasnt he the brains! Still married to the gorgeous Delvene RIP and thanks for the many belly laughs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 84 of 100   

Jump to: