Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Collingwood Rant is now up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

An unfortunate tweet.
Thank god the club doesn't have a major sponsor that is linked to a country where Indian workers are treated like shit.
That would be really embarrassing.
Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:37 am

I dont use twitter and have no idea how it works,

one twitter account:
https://twitter.com/JCorfe

another twitter account
https://twitter.com/joffacorfe?lang=en

are they the same? I thought Joffa was living on a remote island somewhere with limited internet access.

Bruce Gonsalves Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:45 am

I wonder if Joffa's opinion of Indian people is swayed because of his time in Fiji?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 am

think positive wrote:
where did it even come from? im flabbergasted at it

with his ties you would seriously think he would realise that that is not ok

I think that you have it the wrong way around.

Isn't he in Fiji? Indians make up a lot of the local population there and many of the indigenous Fijians are quite openly racist towards them, the same as indigenous Australians are in many cases to whites here, they just want them gone.

Most on here will be old enough to recall what Colonel Rabuka did.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:28 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
think positive wrote:

Isn't he in Fiji? Indians make up a lot of the local population there and many of the indigenous Fijians are quite openly racist towards them, the same as indigenous Australians are in many cases to whites here, they just want them gone.

no he is in Queensland, he was back before christmas

makri Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 am

Extremely stupid thing for Joffa to say, my grand mother spent her final years in aged care here in Melbourne and several of the workers that looked after her were of Indian decent of which I have nothing but praise for.

Last edited by makri on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:57 am

think positive wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
think positive wrote:

no he is in Queensland, he was back before christmas

Thanks, I don't use Twitter so don't keep up.

It sounds like he has a Fijian mindset though.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:13 am

Doesn’t make it right, especially generalised crap. I have been in Fiji and although being of Sri Lankan descent (not Indian), I haven’t ever seen or heard anything of a racist or bigoted nature. So I question broad nonsensical labels like Fijian mindset etc. Let’s be brutally honest, every country has their bottom of the barrel racists/bigots/anti Muslim nut jobs but they are mostly out numbered by decent human beings wanting to live in peace and harmony.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:24 am

I guess maybe the thing that seems jarring about the club’s response here is that Joffa is from the absolute bottom of society’s class power dynamic: he was raised in an impoverished, violent and substance-ridden home, was homeless for periods of time, hasn’t attained a high level of education, and sits within a generally looked-down-upon, condescended-to, feared or ignored socioeconomic stratum – incidentally, one in which many Indigenous people are highly overrepresented (he probably has a lot more Aboriginal friends than most white people posting here). And let’s not forget that he has been a long-time advocate for and on-the-ground comrade of his socioeconomic class, whose issues are far less fashionable and carry far less cultural capital than a lot of the topics that get aired in professional middle-class spaces. But he doesn’t and never will fit a tidy corporate image, and it would have been and will be easy for the club to wash their hands of him and anybody else who looks or sounds like him.

None of this is to say that socioeconomically disadvantaged people are somehow predisposed to being racist, that they can’t help being so or that they shouldn’t be called out for it, and neither is it to excuse what he wrote – which was, to be clear, callous and hateful. But it is I think undeniable that a lot of the slurs, stereotypes and generalisations that tertiary-educated middle-class professionals have learned not to think or to say are going to be less filtered in less privileged milieus, and the stuff that Joffa says on his Twitter account probably fairly accurately reflects what you would hear at his house, or at the pub with his mates: what he would consider "calling it as it is". So the idea that the white-collar communications and marketing graduates at the club can somehow regulate his behaviour, or that he will listen to what they ask him to do, is, I think, a bit of a fool’s errand. They’re from a different world, and trying to play HR department with him will probably only be treated with resentment. I’m not at all surprised that he rejected their suggestion that he apologise, because everyone can see that they’re only engaged in the club’s own (lucrative) reputation management. They’re just not even remotely on the same page.

Again, none of this is to say that sub-working-class racism should just be tolerated, and it’s not wrong to confront Joffa over what he wrote. Perhaps there is potential for other people he knows and respects (like Eddie or Father Bob) to take him aside and explain why what he said was unfair and hurtful, and that would be great. But I feel like clashes like this are symptomatic of a growing divide between the "woke" professional corporate class and those who don’t move in their circles, and that’s going to have major political implications down the track if it isn’t dealt with. Some might say it already has.

Last edited by David on Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:33 am

Is this a real account?
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:52 am

Lazza wrote:
Doesn’t make it right, especially generalised crap. I have been in Fiji and although being of Sri Lankan descent (not Indian), I haven’t ever seen or heard anything of a racist or bigoted nature. So I question broad nonsensical labels like Fijian mindset etc. Let’s be brutally honest, every country has their bottom of the barrel racists/bigots/anti Muslim nut jobs but they are mostly out numbered by decent human beings wanting to live in peace and harmony.

Lazza,

I don't mean to be rude but before you say that something is nonsensical you should at least be aware of the basic facts. You may have been to Fiji but you don't seem to know much about its history. 1987 wasn't that long ago, you should remember and understand what occurred there then, and if don't, Google it. If you think that there has been a generational shift in attitudes between then and now I think that you may be disappointed.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:57 am

Joffa's a 60-year-old Australian man who spent, what a year of his life in Fiji? I think suggesting he has a "Fijian mindset" might be a bit of a stretch. The attitudes of many white Australians to people of Indian background isn't all that flash to begin with.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:09 am

David wrote:
Joffa's a 60-year-old Australian man who spent, what a year of his life in Fiji? I think suggesting he has a "Fijian mindset" might be a bit of a stretch. The attitudes of many white Australians to people of Indian background isn't all that flash to begin with.

His relationships with Fijians commenced a long time before that.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:55 pm

David wrote:
But I feel like clashes like this are symptomatic of a growing divide between the "woke" professional corporate class and those who don’t move in their circles, and that’s going to have major political implications down the track if it isn’t dealt with. Some might say it already has.

A very insightful comment David (IMHO Laughing ).
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:44 pm

makri wrote:
Extremely stupid thing for Joffa to say, my grand mother spent her final years in aged care here in Melbourne and several of the workers that looked after her were of Indian decent of which I have nothing but praise for.

I agree it's an incredibly stupid thing to say. My mother is in a nursing home being predominately looked after by staff of Indian extraction and they do a tremendous job. However is this a hanging offense because I see many worst things being said on Twitter everyday of the week. It should be enough to hold people who say stupid things on social media to be held up for ridicule. We know Joffa isn't a racist. Just a stupid comment to make which most of us should ignore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 14 of 27   

Jump to: