Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Royal commission into Vic Mental Health.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:15 pm
Post subject: Royal commission into Vic Mental Health.Reply with quote

When I started working in public health in 2008, Victoria actually WAS the gold standard for Mental Health in the country. WTF happened?

Quote:
Victoria's mental health system operates in crisis mode, has "catastrophically failed to live up to expectations" and must be rebuilt, a damning report from the state's mental health royal commission has found.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/victorian-mental-health-royal-commission-final-report/13203938

I look forward to the excuses of why this is Kennett or Morrison's fault.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Kennet, yes. Morrison no, though he has done nothing to fix it.

There was a laughable headline in today's paper: "Mental health system in Victoria fails to live up to expectations". What a pisser of a joke that was. It has not failed in the slightest. It has fulfilled and indeed exceeded the worst expectations of any observer with a clue.

Essentially, state governments looked at the old institutional system and ripped the guts out of it, without bothering to replace it with anything else that actually worked. The rhetoric was "community care" and "integration" but the driving motivation was relentless cost cutting. I don't remember now whether that was yet another of Kennet's disastrous decisions or whether it goes back further than that. The bottom like is that you can't complain about the Victorian mental health system because there is no system.

No state government has had the balls to even try to fix it.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:59 pm

When I started in Public Health I spent a lot of time talking to the senior Mental Health people there. They explained how the de-institutionalising that Kennett had done was best practice. They closed the asylums like Mont Park and replaced that with a community approach.

People who liked the mentally ill "out of sight, out of mind" liked the Asylums and didn't like the new approach.

I saw first hand how the psych inpatient units operated and what the philosophy and intent was behind it and sat in disciplinary interviews with people who struggled to adapt from the old days of lock em up and hose em down.

Shit, I went through a brand new High Dependency unit that had been destroyed by some mad bastard using his elbows, fists and fingernails and stood in the nurses station watching as one of the most dangerous patients in the state was gently but firmly marched to HDU after breaking a nurses jaw because she was black.

Victorian Mental Health practitioners were being invited to interstate conferences to spread the word and give guidance how to do things. Some of the initiatives at Maroondah Inpatient units weren't just leading edge in Australia but world.

12-13 years later the whole system has turned to shit apparently. The philosophy was great, what happened to the implementation.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:28 pm

The philosophy was exactly equivalent to the new philosophies that swept through the teaching community at around the same time or a bit earlier, and exactly equivalent to the "new" philosophy that swept through economics ar about the same time.

They all failed. Miserably.

And there is a reason for that. It is the same reason for all of them. It is the same reason which explains why they were so successful in becoming the fashionable philosophy favoured by bureaucrats and politicians. In a nutshell, all three "new" philosophies were grand excuses for not doing the work.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:56 pm
Post subject: Re: Royal commission into Vic Mental Health.Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
When I started working in public health in 2008, Victoria actually WAS the gold standard for Mental Health in the country. WTF happened?

Quote:
Victoria's mental health system operates in crisis mode, has "catastrophically failed to live up to expectations" and must be rebuilt, a damning report from the state's mental health royal commission has found.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-02/victorian-mental-health-royal-commission-final-report/13203938

I look forward to the excuses of why this is Kennett or Morrison's fault.

You can say some dumb shit sometimes. When I get the time I’ll walk you through some of the issues here: not even O’Brien was stupid enough to say it is Andrews fault. Sheesh.

This is Australia wide: what looked good under Kennett with bipartisan support was a mirage because deinstitutionalisation was seen as a universal panacea.

To see mental health through the narrow focus on mental illness is the basic error. Like most illness mental illness is in large part a reflection of social conditions.

Kennett cut disability by 54% I was a senior manager then in disability. Disability is in large part f*cked because of those cuts. Guess who are over represented now in mental health, emergency services and acute psychiatry: people with an ID. Now there is no alternative for these people coz ur mate cut the f*ck out of them and they never recovered. I have heard Kennett say it is his one regret how badly he f*cked ID services ( he had a sister who if memory serves me correct was a teacher in special education)

This is merely one aspect of how ur mate screwed things up big time.

I don’t have the time to go through this now but we as a society have under-funded mental health for so many years it’s good to start refocusing.

Working for the last 22 years in crisis mental health and 20 years in the busiest ED in Melbourne I can shed a bit of light. Additionally my wife spent 35 years in mental health and 25 years in the aged sector.

Various commonwealth governments cut simply cut outright funding for psychosocial rehabs, drop in centres etc. This was at it’s worst under the Abbott Government. This was a simple disgrace to the most marginalised groups in Australia.

Anyway for another time.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:13 am

Your wife worked for 60 years?
Are you her fit cyclist toy boy?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:38 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Your wife worked for 60 years?
Are you her fit cyclist toy boy?

Laughing

Of her 35 years (actually closer to 38 years) more than 20 were in Community Based Aged Psychiatry.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:07 pm

As expected, blame Kennet. Rolling Eyes

10 years of Bracks and Brumby labor governments didn't think to do anything about the ID funding or do work on the system?

And of course lets blame commonwealth funding. Dan can afford to spend $ billions on tunnels, trenches and railway bypasses, and another $1B+ on a road he didn't build but ask him to tip some into mental health and it's nahhhhhh.

He gets credit only for calling the royal commission into a system that he had allowed to degenerate to that level under his watch.

And @Tannin, de-institutionalising Mental Health wasn't a do nothing wrong philosophy. Regardless of motive what it started was to treat mentally ill people with dignity and respect as every human deserves rather than lock them up involuntarily in asylums where they were routinely abused

Quote:
"Shame should be shouldered by a generation of policy makers, those who saw the problem but failed to rise to the challenge. Speaker, that includes our government. My government," Andrews told the joint sitting of parliament.

Since 1999, Labor has been in office for all but four years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-03/daniel-andrews-victorian-mental-health-royal-commission-analysis/13208114

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: