Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Collingwood Rant is now up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:11 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they should refrain from calling it social media. Wankers like Neil Mitchell will be all over this. And probably slobbo and Caro.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:34 pm

We've learned now twice the problem when you have the individual bigger than the club. We let Eddie and Joffa represent Collingwood.
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Jaffa lives in Qld now?I thought he had retired to Fiji,what happened to that?As for his comments,they were inexcusable.And really,they couldn’t have come at a worse time for the club when it is under siege on the question of racism,and every single media outlet is looking to find examples of racism at the club.And here he is,providing them with yet another example of that.
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:11 pm

ronrat wrote:
I think they should refrain from calling it social media. Wankers like Neil Mitchell will be all over this. And probably slobbo and Caro.

Totally agree , very dumb by Joffa not impressed at all.

www.facebook/the hybernators
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:18 pm

Twitter is a cesspit of hatred. I deleted my account and haven't regretted it for a second.

I respect Joffa for the good work he has done for the community but he made an error of judgement here. He may not care but he let the club down.

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:34 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
Jaffa lives in Qld now?I thought he had retired to Fiji,what happened to that?As for his comments,they were inexcusable.And really,they couldn’t have come at a worse time for the club when it is under siege on the question of racism,and every single media outlet is looking to find examples of racism at the club.And here he is,providing them with yet another example of that.

i agree Doris. Yes we know that the professional upper middle class layers administrating our club are admonishing Joffe purely on the basis of advancing corporate interests. But that does not in any way moderate or make "understandable" the vile nature of Joffa's tweet, which must be immediately condemned. His tweet could not have come at a more inopportune time for Collingwood. Whatever the source of his racist outlook, whether due to an adaption to Fijian entho-nationalism, or simply pure anti-Asian racism, seems irrelevant to me.
I agree with "Whats ina Name" that the chickens are coming home to roost for allowing individuals such as Joffa and Eddie to represent the club for so long. I disagree with those who deny reality by saying that "we all know Eddie is not a racist" and likewise "we all know Joffa is not a racist".
It is simply impossible for either to have made the public comments that they have made unless they had a racist outlook. End of discussion.
The one hope i see in this situation is actually the stand taken by our playing group. They are young, and therefore they are idealistic. They are the one light of hope in this situation, and I am hoping that it really strengthens them as a playing group.

Redlight 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:36 pm

David wrote:
I guess maybe the thing that seems jarring about the club’s response here is that Joffa is from the absolute bottom of society’s class power dynamic: he was raised in an impoverished, violent and substance-ridden home, was homeless for periods of time, hasn’t attained a high level of education, and sits within a generally looked-down-upon, condescended-to, feared or ignored socioeconomic stratum – incidentally, one in which many Indigenous people are highly overrepresented (he probably has a lot more Aboriginal friends than most white people posting here). And let’s not forget that he has been a long-time advocate for and on-the-ground comrade of his socioeconomic class, whose issues are far less fashionable and carry far less cultural capital than a lot of the topics that get aired in professional middle-class spaces. But he doesn’t and never will fit a tidy corporate image, and it would have been and will be easy for the club to wash their hands of him and anybody else who looks or sounds like him.

None of this is to say that socioeconomically disadvantaged people are somehow predisposed to being racist, that they can’t help being so or that they shouldn’t be called out for it, and neither is it to excuse what he wrote – which was, to be clear, callous and hateful. But it is I think undeniable that a lot of the slurs, stereotypes and generalisations that tertiary-educated middle-class professionals have learned not to think or to say are going to be less filtered in less privileged milieus, and the stuff that Joffa says on his Twitter account probably fairly accurately reflects what you would hear at his house, or at the pub with his mates: what he would consider "calling it as it is". So the idea that the white-collar communications and marketing graduates at the club can somehow regulate his behaviour, or that he will listen to what they ask him to do, is, I think, a bit of a fool’s errand. They’re from a different world, and trying to play HR department with him will probably only be treated with resentment. I’m not at all surprised that he rejected their suggestion that he apologise, because everyone can see that they’re only engaged in the club’s own (lucrative) reputation management. They’re just not even remotely on the same page.

Again, none of this is to say that sub-working-class racism should just be tolerated, and it’s not wrong to confront Joffa over what he wrote. Perhaps there is potential for other people he knows and respects (like Eddie or Father Bob) to take him aside and explain why what he said was unfair and hurtful, and that would be great. But I feel like clashes like this are symptomatic of a growing divide between the "woke" professional corporate class and those who don’t move in their circles, and that’s going to have major political implications down the track if it isn’t dealt with. Some might say it already has.

I think you're probably right, the idea of 'working class' fans being something to be proud of is something that would make marketing extremely uncomfortable.

The sad thing is that his value and service to the club over many years is so easily forgotten and discarded. For all the 'side-by-side' marketing, it's the clubs actions that expose the truth. There is no loyalty and the 'values' the club claims to represent are mostly PR.

If there was a real club, in the sense that I'd like it to exist, then someone would've gone to see Joffa and have a chat about the issue. Their public statement would have expressed disappointment but made it clear that Joffa was a valued and loved member of the Collingwood 'family'.

Unfortunately CFC now seems to be the kind of family that would kick a kid out on the street if they didn't make their bed.

It's only 'Side by Side' until there's an issue, then it's 'Under the Bus'.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:48 am

Whether Joffa lives in Fiji or whether Fijians discriminate against people of Indian descent are red herrings and are irrelevant.

Joffa's comment was racist and deplorable. He does not and never did represent Collingwood.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:19 am

Redlight wrote:

I think you're probably right, the idea of 'working class' fans being something to be proud of is something that would make marketing extremely uncomfortable.

The sad thing is that his value and service to the club over many years is so easily forgotten and discarded. For all the 'side-by-side' marketing, it's the clubs actions that expose the truth. There is no loyalty and the 'values' the club claims to represent are mostly PR.

If there was a real club, in the sense that I'd like it to exist, then someone would've gone to see Joffa and have a chat about the issue. Their public statement would have expressed disappointment but made it clear that Joffa was a valued and loved member of the Collingwood 'family'.

Unfortunately CFC now seems to be the kind of family that would kick a kid out on the street if they didn't make their bed.

It's only 'Side by Side' until there's an issue, then it's 'Under the Bus'.

Do you know the club did not contact Joffa first?

Besides, he knows he is an unofficial posterboy for the club (at least in the media's eyes). There is no doubt the club would be on shaky ground with some of its sponsors and supporters. Aside from the obvious need to stand strgon against blatant racism, if they do not make a strong public stand then there would be significant financial consequences. If that happens we all suffer.

It was a selfish and stupid act from someone who should know better.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:28 am

<Some discussion about "freedom of speech" has been moved here: https://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=88469

- Pies4shaw for BBMods>
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Why is the club getting involved and tweeting about what a private citizen says on his twitter account? For crying out loud, he's not even a member anymore.

This club really knows how to throw people under the bus without hesitation. "Side by Side" is nothing more than marketing spin these days.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:22 pm

Jezza wrote:
Why is the club getting involved and tweeting about what a private citizen says on his twitter account? For crying out loud, he's not even a member anymore.

This club really knows how to throw people under the bus without hesitation. "Side by Side" is nothing more than marketing spin these days.

He is not, but Collingwood anchored itself to Eddie and Joffa so you can't just de-couple them that easily.

We reap what we sow.

The next Eddie rant / misstep will of course be linked to Collingwood.
PolarPie 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:33 pm

I am a white guy that grew up in an area as a minority. I know what it feels like and yes racism is everywhere but what offends me most about Joffa’s post is he has also been on the despicable side of people poorly judging him.
I find it inexcusable that a fat guy with a poor education, that has been homeless, that has dealt with turds trying to tear him down he would know what it feels like to be vilified. Also it is not an excuse to have a lack of educations or to allow ignorance such as being racist everyone wants to be accepted and knows what it feels like when they aren’t.
The post is a disgrace regardless of any negative personal interactions he may believe he or others have encountered.
I was sad to read it I can’t stand bullying or hate of others.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:04 pm

Well said
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:07 pm

Harrysz wrote:
Whether Joffa lives in Fiji or whether Fijians discriminate against people of Indian descent are red herrings and are irrelevant.

Joffa's comment was racist and deplorable. He does not and never did represent Collingwood.

They put him in the paining of the clubs history, remember that one.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 15 of 27   

Jump to: