Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Leon Davis endured racism from teammates and club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:28 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien wrote:
Under-rated player. Way better than Eddie Betts I reckon. People forget how good Leon was and his failure in the big games tarnishes peoples memory of his brilliance with the ball.

I think you've forgotten how good Eddie Betts was.
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:46 pm

Its funny you know...Eddie stands down over claims racism wasn't dealt with appropriately in the Club and there is 25 pages of frothing outrage, but when a Club hero like Leon comes out with this, 3 pages...practically crickets chirping for a story of this size...speaks volumes

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
CrossPie18 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:33 am

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Its funny you know...Eddie stands down over claims racism wasn't dealt with appropriately in the Club and there is 25 pages of frothing outrage, but when a Club hero like Leon comes out with this, 3 pages...practically crickets chirping for a story of this size...speaks volumes

I don’t think this is right or fair. You have to add the 50 pages on the “Do Better” report thread for a complete assessment. It’s not a lack of interest in Leon, but multiple threads on the one theme of racism. You will find commentary on Leon in that thread......which does show an interest in getting this right amongst the Collingwood constituency.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:31 pm

You seem to think you have drawn some obvious conclusion that isn't even there. You simplistic opinion is neither constructive or reflective of reality.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:35 am

... but when a Club hero like Leon comes out with this, 3 pages...practically crickets chirping for a story of this size...speaks volumes

Well, that's 3 pages more than for Andrew Krakouer.

"I knew ... that my spirits within me were broken."

“It was at that point I knew that I no longer belonged at Collingwood.”

These comments a few years ago were just ignored.

Or almost. One Nickster (who has posted a lot in the recent thread) said it was all Krakouer's fault. Another Nickster said I was mind-reading if I read anything into them.

Shocked
Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:18 am

Indeed...I guess some peoples 'reflection of reality' differs from others

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:02 pm

Disturbing read although not surprising. I see it almost every day in the workplace. Society has a long way to go.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:19 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Society has a long way to go

Society by definition always has a long way to go, the question is where Collingwood want to be on the curve

Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:17 am

Perhaps, but the goal posts keep on moving....... 10 years ago you could joke to an indigenous mate about boomerang throwing and chasing kangaroos, but you wouldn't dare do that now.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:17 am

double post
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:47 am

The goal posts have never moved, what's racist today.. was still racist 50 100 or 200 years ago - it just that we've finally accepted that here in Australia and are finally calling it out for what it is. Anyone whos old enough to remember Australia pre Bob Hawke era will know exactly what I mean regardless of which side of the fence they come from.
stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:05 pm

Leon was the first indigenous player to play 50 games for Collingwood (back in 2002). He went on to play over 200 games for us.

I remember Mick Malthouse speaking when Leon first reached 50 games about how incredible was that a big Club like Collingwood, that had been around since 1892, had not achieved this feat before. And the indigenous talent Collingwood had missed out on over the years.

How horrible that Leon had to put up with that experience at our Club.

We should listen to our indigenous players and try to make the changes we need to improve the Club.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:15 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:
I’ve always been dirty with Mick for dropping Leon for the grand final rematch. I often wondered if it wasn’t about how many kicks he got, but just that Mick didn’t like him. After reading the article, I can imagine Leon still wasn’t accepted by certain people at the club for speaking up about racism and rocking the boat.

Mick loved having Leon at the club. Purely team balance replacing Leon with Goldsack for the replay. Leon accepted it in good grace, unlike Derek Kickett when he was dropped by Kevin Sheedy in 1993. I think Leon got a premiership medal so he was still part of the premiership team.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:43 pm

Listen to our pain: Davis says it’s time for hard truths at Collingwood

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/listen-to-our-pain-davis-says-it-s-time-for-hard-truths-at-collingwood-20210225-p575y4.html

"Leon Davis wants Collingwood to understand. He wants them to listen and learn, to hear the hard truths of what it was really like to be an Indigenous Collingwood player.

He wants his club and his old teammates - many still close friends - to understand how it was that he, the club’s Indigenous games record holder, nearly walked away from the Magpies and the game itself, multiple times during his decorated 225-game career.

Davis, a proud Balardong Whadjuk Yuat Yamatji man, is not just speaking of Collingwood, but also of Australia.

He can’t disentangle the two
– much of his club’s responses, he feels, stem from a society-wide ignorance of the history of genocide of Australia’s First Nations people.

He knows the Collingwood Football Club intimately. He knows its painful failings and despite his experiences, he has an abiding passion for the club and the friends he made there. He wants to be part of the solution and the education of players and people, but only once the club comes to terms with its past."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: