Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eddie Gone

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronrat 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Damien wrote:
Homophobia? Why would he. He was always bragging about his ability with the ladies.

That worked/ Fuzzy turned to chicks as well

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:25 pm

ronrat wrote:
Damien wrote:
Homophobia? Why would he. He was always bragging about his ability with the ladies.

That worked/ Fuzzy turned to chicks as well

Well, you probably explained in this post why Lumumba was so opposed to homophobia. Not that he was gay, but he had a very good friend who was.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:12 pm

Lazza wrote:
Just an aside. When I visited the States on the nineties, I was intrigued (for want of a better word) that the African Americans were happy to call each other the n word but were upset if another non African American person did this🙄 If this was such an insulting word, why would keep its usage going? And if it’s a matter of being selectively offended, why is this? You cannot be half pregnant? I found this selective use offensive and illogical. Go figure🙄

This is surely a shit stir post, c’mon now...

It’s about taking the word back, about owning it, about turning it in its head as a form of camaraderie amongst fellow brothers to dilute its negative connotations, the way my fellow ethnic brethren use the W word as a term of brotherly endearment and inner circle reference, yet rightfully frown upon its use from outsiders (i.e. common white anglos, unless endorsed within ons friendship group), and rightfully so. Clearly this is something ‘white’ people will never comprehend if you’re still asking this type of question. In 2021 I would’ve thought this is pretty clear to everyone by now.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Lazza wrote:
Just an aside. When I visited the States on the nineties, I was intrigued (for want of a better word) that the African Americans were happy to call each other the n word but were upset if another non African American person did this🙄 If this was such an insulting word, why would keep its usage going? And if it’s a matter of being selectively offended, why is this? You cannot be half pregnant? I found this selective use offensive and illogical. Go figure🙄

It’s about taking the word back, about owning it, about turning it in its head as a form of camaraderie amongst fellow brothers to dilute its negative connotations, the way my fellow ethnic brethren use the W word as a term of brotherly endearment and inner circle reference, yet rightfully frown upon its use from outsiders (i.e. common white anglos, unless endorsed within ons friendship group), and rightfully so. Clearly this is something ‘white’ people will never comprehend if you’re still asking this type of question. In 2021 I would’ve thought this is pretty clear to everyone by now.

And I would have thought it was pretty clear to everyone by now as to what Lazza’s background was.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:06 pm

^ disagree - I find it pretty strange too... I've hardly got a drop of anglo saxon blood in my veins - anyone calling me a W - friend or not - is an idiot.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:59 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
^ disagree - I find it pretty strange too... I've hardly got a drop of anglo saxon blood in my veins - anyone calling me a W - friend or not - is an idiot.

Finally agree with you, Daffy. Non-English migrant parents, never identified with “white Australia”, copped racism (my old man especially), tried hard to be “Aussie” so we could fit in... classic PoC migrant story, but because I’m fair skinned I don’t get that honour, I’m considered white and my whiteness goes back to the first fleet. It’s bloody bizarre and hypocritical how we’re all judged. The diversity of “white” Australia needs to be part of the convo.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:07 pm

^Funny isn't it. You're never "really" an Aussie.
Until, of course, it's time to talk about genocide, racism and privilege and then you're suddenly lumped in as a 100%, true-blue Aussie.
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:54 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Lazza wrote:

You either accept the word or not.
I heard Nick Giankopolous once say that the word “w*g” was him wanting to take ownership of the word....as a person of ethnic origin I couldn’t help but laugh at the stupidity of that comment.

The word is either offensive to you or not. You can’t have it both ways.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:31 pm

On what plausible basis do you assert that a "word is either offensive to you or not"? It all depends on context and who is using it. Almost everyone can and does have at least some words that do "have it both ways".
slangman 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 4:53 pm

I can’t work out if you’re just joking or not because it’s quite clear what I wrote.

W*g is either a word you accept or don’t accept. Being selective in who you accept it from is absolutele hypocrisy.

So would it have been ok if Leon Davis called Lumumba “c***p” because he isn’t white but absolutely offensive if the rest of the team did the same?

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:20 pm

No, I'm not joking. As to your example, it's not for me to say. Language is very much more complex that you would like to pretend. So, if, eg, one of my friends calls out to get my attention by shouting "Oy, c*&t", I am going to respond to that very differently than if someone I've never meet speaks to me in the same way. It's all dependent upon context.

Your premise that being selective in who you accept a derogatory term from is hypocritical is, with respect, silly beyond belief. Think reflectively about it and you will find that to be so on a daily basis in your own life.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:42 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
No, I'm not joking. As to your example, it's not for me to say. Language is very much more complex that you would like to pretend. So, if, eg, one of my friends calls out to get my attention by shouting "Oy, c*&t", I am going to respond to that very differently than if someone I've never meet speaks to me in the same way. It's all dependent upon context.

Your premise that being selective in who you accept a derogatory term from is hypocritical is, with respect, silly beyond belief. Think reflectively about it and you will find that to be so on a daily basis in your own life.

So your friends consider you to be a cnut.
Must be because you are a Pies supporter.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:57 pm

Probably. Although, most people I meet eventually call me that, for one reason or another. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:02 pm

Leon: “The fact he has done what he has done for so long and he has made mistake after mistake after mistake, to have that personal relationship with him and do the work at the club I have done over the years and educate people there and always be there to give him advice, it is very disappointing and hurtful that time after time after time you see that same attitude, ‘Oh it was just a joke’.”
Peponi 

There is only one team. And that team is Collingwood.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:47 pm

Racism is trivial and funny to those who haven’t experienced it preferring to dismiss those who have.

We have a loooooong way to go in Australia.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 30, 31, 32  Next
Page 27 of 32   

Jump to: