Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:26 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Context differs depending on your viewpoint.

People who created that meme would likely be of the view that Israel is on stolen land and they should kicked out and the land handed over to people of a nation that never existed.

I don't subscribe to that view.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 7:31 pm

Example.

Israeli actress Gal Gadot makes this tweet.

https://twitter.com/GalGadot/status/1392496742822776839/photo/1

and gets hammered by so called progressives for it.

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/gal-gadot-facing-online-heat-after-israel-tweet/news-story/55691e22f385661c251b8b660eb2d955

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:20 pm

https://twitter.com/IDF/status/1392764137185423362
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:27 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Context differs depending on your viewpoint.

People who created that meme would likely be of the view that Israel is on stolen land and they should kicked out and the land handed over to people of a nation that never existed.

I don't subscribe to that view.

Views are views and nearly everyone invested in one side or the other has an agenda, but I've been loosely following this for a few weeks now and as far as I can tell everything in that meme is true.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:18 pm

It may well be, but keep in mind who's attacking and who's retaliating.

Hamas is firing rockets into Israel indiscriminately, hoping to kill or maim as many innocents as possible.

Israel has good defensive mechanisms so their death toll is minimal

Israel fire back at the rocket launch sites which Hamas has deliberately placed near innocent civilians, resulting in casualties. Their intent is to detroy the rocket launch sites, not to kill innocents.

I put it to you that it's Hamas that's to blame for any Palestinian casualties.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:41 pm

^ I know there’s a lot of pro-Israeli propaganda around, but even given that I don’t know how anyone could reasonably believe that the Palestinians are the attackers and Israel is merely retaliating. Like, it’s actually depressing to read that.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Israel don't fire missiles at the Palestinians unless they are fired upon first, do they?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 9:25 pm

Quote:
Militant group Hamas has fired 1,800 rockets from Gaza into Israel, according to the Associated Press.

The rockets have brought life in parts of southern Israel to a standstill, and several barrages have targeted the commercial centre of Tel Aviv, some 70 kilometres away from Gaza.

The four-day burst of violence has pushed Israel into uncharted territory — dealing with intense fighting with Hamas while simultaneously coping with the worst Jewish-Arab violence inside Israel in decades.

Saleh Aruri, an exiled senior Hamas leader, told London-based satellite channel Al Araby early on Friday that his group had turned down a proposal for a three-hour lull to allow for more negotiations toward a full cease-fire.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-14/gaza-conflict-intensifies-with-rocket-barrages-and-air-strikes/100139024

But it's all Israels fault. Rolling Eyes

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:01 am

Bernie writes:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/14/opinion/bernie-sanders-israel-palestine-gaza.html

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 11:31 am

This current episode started off with Israeli hubris. However the winners now are the Islamofascists of Hamas and Netanyahu on the Israeli side: the former because they had become largely irrelevant and the latter as he was on his way out with current corruption proceedings and a coalition forming without him. Continuation of the conflict will serve Netanyahu’s interests.

Continuation will operate against Hamas’s interests.

The losers will be the civilians as per usual and mostly Palestinian civilians. However, statistics so to speak are invariably hard to corroborate in Gaza. Hamas does not allow independent verification and amplifies civilian casualties while Israel minimises that by referring to Hamas and Islamic Jihad amongst the casualties.

Hamas will be seen as the Muslim world defenders of Jerusalem however their continued use of missiles into Israel has lost the initial support they would have got from Biden.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:14 pm

^ I don’t disagree with much of that, but surely you’re dreaming if you thought Biden would ever say a word in Palestinians’ favour.

stui magpie wrote:
Israel don't fire missiles at the Palestinians unless they are fired upon first, do they?

Much of this was started by unprovoked attacks from Israelis. As per page 1, there were numerous cases of attacks on Palestinians by right-wing extremist Israelis (who the government does nothing to rein in) and then the military attacking protesters, long before any missiles were fired.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 pm

David wrote:
^ I don’t disagree with much of that, but surely you’re dreaming if you thought Biden would ever say a word in Palestinians’ favour.

stui magpie wrote:

Much of this was started by unprovoked attacks from Israelis. As per page 1, there were numerous cases of attacks on Palestinians by right-wing extremist Israelis (who the government does nothing to rein in) and then the military attacking protesters, long before any missiles were fired.

No, Biden was no lover of Netanyahu, why would the democrats be that given the contemptible way he treated Obama and his love fest for Trump. At the same time the so called 2 state solution which Netanyahu has done his best to sabotage means some justice for Palestinians. In that way Biden was cautious in the beginning. However, once the barrage of missiles occurred then end of story so to speak.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:48 pm

Military ruse: The Israeli’s told the western media mostly that there was an ground offensive, an incursion into Gaza. This was quickly and widely reported.

As a consequence, Hamas moved their fighters underground into their labyrinthine network of tunnels referred to as the “Metro”. Once this occurred Israel pounded the tunnels, destroying the tunnels (? To what extent) killing the fighters in the tunnels. 2 hrs later or so they changed the message they gave the media as no ground incursion occurred:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-heavy-bombing-of-hamas-metro-destroyed-miles-of-tunnels-killed-dozens/

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:51 pm

Natural selection.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 2:09 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Military ruse: The Israeli’s told the western media mostly that there was an ground offensive, an incursion into Gaza. This was quickly and widely reported.

As a consequence, Hamas moved their fighters underground into their labyrinthine network of tunnels referred to as the “Metro”. Once this occurred Israel pounded the tunnels, destroying the tunnels (? To what extent) killing the fighters in the tunnels. 2 hrs later or so they changed the message they gave the media as no ground incursion occurred:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/report-heavy-bombing-of-hamas-metro-destroyed-miles-of-tunnels-killed-dozens/

Nice work.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 2 of 43   

Jump to: