Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Collingwood Rant is now up!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 pm
Post subject: A Special Crisis Edition of The Collingwood Rant!Reply with quote

Nathan Buckley, Collingwood's coach for the last ten years, has resigned.

Join Sly and Spook, but not Mark Robinson and his faulty internet connection, as they discuss what this means for Collingwood, the possible replacements, and what they'd look for in a coach!

All on The Rant in this special crisis edition!

Check out the episode on YouTube or listen to the podcast.

Listen to our Podcast.

Like our Facebook page.
CarringbushCigar Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

First time I've tuned in and listening now.

Thoroughly recommended content here.

Magnificent work guys.
Sly Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:29 am

Cheers, CarringbushCigar.

P.S. Ripper avatar!
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:27 pm

Been listening since last year guys, mostly on YouTube. Love the work and the content.

I only just discovered i can get your podcast on Spotify. Makes life much more simple.

orie Cancer

A MADPIE FOR LIFE

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:59 pm
Post subject: the collingwood rantReply with quote

I suppose you have both given up the beer for Champagne now that Bucks is Finally gone.

I used to enjoy listening to your thoughts on the games each week, and you did make me smile sometimes. However the last month it has been so full of negativity , sarcasm and disrespect towards Bucks that i will not be watching anymore. I know everyone has their opinion , however you have trashed this man in so many ways. You must think he had a great list to work with all that time. He has put his heart and soul into this club, as a player and a coach and he and Eddie, although they didn't always get things right, they never gave up fighting for the club...Until they were MADE to..
This early push was totally a political ploy by the board to save their skins.

Well, . We will see.
"ALL I CAN BE""

derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:41 pm
Post subject: Re: the collingwood rantReply with quote

orie wrote:
I suppose you have both given up the beer for Champagne now that Bucks is Finally gone.

I used to enjoy listening to your thoughts on the games each week, and you did make me smile sometimes. However the last month it has been so full of negativity , sarcasm and disrespect towards Bucks that i will not be watching anymore. I know everyone has their opinion , however you have trashed this man in so many ways. You must think he had a great list to work with all that time. He has put his heart and soul into this club, as a player and a coach and he and Eddie, although they didn't always get things right, they never gave up fighting for the club...Until they were MADE to..

Well, . We will see.
"ALL I CAN BE""

Your correct, they have a right to thier views. They are also not all negative on Buckley. In my humble opinion, The fact is Buckley also has to wear part of the blame for why the club is where it is...as does Eddie, as does most of the current board.

For mine, we simply must must have fixed terms for the President moving forward. We cannot allow another 23 year dictatorship. Say what you will of Eddie....23 years without a member election in any other sphere is called dictatorship. It is not healthy. It also can't be allowed to happen again.

Also Mods if thier is any risk of this post starting another debate. Please feel free to remove my post.

stoliboy Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:07 pm

orie wrote:

That’s what makes the show so much fun to watch Very Happy

Keep up the great show boys

Sly Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:00 am

orie wrote:

Well, . We will see.
"ALL I CAN BE""

Sorry you feel that way, Orie.

We've never professed Buckley had some brilliant list. We've always said they've lacked genuine KPs and that list management under him has been problematic.

However, we have pointed out (for the last three years) an issue that many have begun to highlight this season: gameplan. That is Buckley's responsibility. And we've seen the on-field problems in every year he's coached but 2018. Why did we go from this free-scoring team in 2018 to a spluttering side in 2019, to this slow, indecisive, indirect team? The list hasn't changed that much. Arguably in 2019-20, it got better with the additions of Roughead, Moore, and Elliott.

There are things we don't talk about publicly (in terms of what we hear), but from which we draw our opinions.

I think you're going to find in the years to come, information will start leaking out about how deeply issues ran behind the scenes. He's underrated in the pantheon of AFL greats.

I love Buckley as a player -- I always say, he's one of the best players I've seen.

I wanted him to coach. But with ten years of evidence now to judge from, I am glad we've decided to make a change.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:15 pm

^ Sly, I feel similarly to Orie, for what it's worth. Smile

I too enjoyed your podcasts and had some good laughs along the way.
In recent weeks though, there was a tipping point for me where the unbridled negativity just became too much, especially as it was repetitive. I guess the whole environment surrounding Collingwood has been doom and gloom for quite a while, so perhaps your podcast was just reflecting that too.
Anyway, perhaps when the new coach is appointed, you might be inclined to discuss matters in a more positive light. When that next instalment for the club happens, I'll do a test run and see if the tone of your podcast has changed to a more uplifting one. Wink

Just my feedback, which I accept you may or may not take on board. All the best.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:16 pm

And then there are others, of course, who listen and think it's still a little too moderate for the ridiculous circumstances in which the Club finds itself. I read some of the negative posts above and thought I should have a listen. The first 20 minutes was both an outline of a post-2011 tragedy of operatic proportions and accurate at the same time. I don't agree with all of it but it is refreshing to hear a concerted effort to analyse what has happened and how the Club got to where it is.

The bottom line is, the last decade has been a debacle and it's nice to listen to the views of people who are willing to say so. Listening, in particular, to the rehearsal of the ages of the players at the end of 2010, it is extraordinarily difficult not to think about what might have been if we'd had (or kept) a more capable coach.

In 2010, I genuinely thought we were at the edge of a period of sustained greatness, not on the edge of the abyss.

I do understand that there are many, many people who think that what has happened since the end of 2010 has been acceptable. I am not one of them.

Keep up the good work, lads.
derkd 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 8:20 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
And then there are others, of course, who listen and think it's still a little too moderate for the ridiculous circumstances in which the Club finds itself. I read some of the negative posts above and thought I should have a listen. The first 20 minutes was both an outline of a post-2011 tragedy of operatic proportions and accurate at the same time. I don't agree with all of it but it is refreshing to hear a concerted effort to analyse what has happened and how the Club got to where it is.

The bottom line is, the last decade has been a debacle and it's nice to listen to the views of people who are willing to say so. Listening, in particular, to the rehearsal of the ages of the players at the end of 2010, it is extraordinarily difficult not to think about what might have been if we'd had (or kept) a more capable coach.

In 2010, I genuinely thought we were at the edge of a period of sustained greatness, not on the edge of the abyss.

I do understand that there are many, many people who think that what has happened since the end of 2010 has been acceptable. I am not one of them.

Keep up the good work, lads.

Can anyone name me a club that has effectively sacked a coach a year after winning a premiership? Can't be many.

Much like Sly and Spook i am still flabbergasted that the club allowed the salary cap to get to such a point.

It is more then one persons fault beacuse from the President and board down they had a duty to run the club correctly. Ned Guy was made to take some of the rap...and look my clearest memory of that time was the utter train wreck of interviews that Bucks and Ned gave just after the close of the trade period.

That for me was when it really hit home. The club was clearly so devoid of leadership and control that they could not even come together to build a coherent story on what and why players had been traded away.

I can tell you right now if any of us had shown such a level of ineptitude in our day to day jobs, as the club had shown during last years trade period we would also be looking for new jobs.

I have very little sympathy for the current board and those whom have already gone. Now no one individual holds the blame but collectively they all are culpable. And what is worse it is a build up of failure over many years.

Lord Maximus Farquaad Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:01 pm

Tony Jewel coached Richmond to the premiership in 80 and was sacked in 81 in favour of a favourite son.
MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:33 pm

Yeah and less than a year 🤣
And Jezza did last long after 79 at you-know/where

MickMCG34 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:33 pm

Not last long
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:48 pm

Richmond's coaching roundabout in that period is startling. After Hafey (4 flags and 5 GFs in almost 11 seasons, ending in round 21, 1976), they gave Barry Richardson 2 full years (after he took over from Hafey for the last game of 1976), then had Jewell for 3 years (he won the flag in his second and then missed the finals in his third), followed by Bourke for 2 years (took them to top position and a GF in his first year, then fell away badly), Patterson for a year, Sproule for a year and back to Jewell for 2 years. So, that's 6 coaches (or 5, if you don't want to count them reverting to Jewell) across 12 seasons.

By contrast, since Hafey left Richmond, Collingwood has had only 6 coaches, plus Erwin, who was caretaker in 1982 for the last 12 rounds after Hafey's tenure ended with 1 win and 9 losses in the first 10 rounds of 1982.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Page 23 of 27   

Jump to: