Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Should we have hung on to pick 2?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephenson was the correct call on talent. How he went from star in a Grand Final team to unable to get a kick after 1/4 time is anybody's guess.
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:42 am

I expect our boastful club song got into his head and ruined him
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:38 am

Interesting

Would North bid for father sons just to screw the opposition into using their picks early? NO.

If North selects Daicos but then is outbid, then it selects Darcy and gets outbid, so then it selects Horne at pick 3.

So Horne comes in knowing he wasn't their real choice.. not once, but twice, and his salary is reduced because pick 3 earns less than pick 1.

If it's close, North should just select Horne or whoever they are likely to get and cast those doubts aside, celebrate their new number 1 pick.

If Daics isn't clear #1, good chance clubs may have fallen in love with other players and for similar reasons, will bypass Daics in the first handful of picks.

I hope.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:00 pm

^ ^ ^

Nothing wrong with hope.

Except the Crows called out Ugle - Hagen ( same academy principle ) when they were never going keep him. I doubt if Thilthorpe was disappointed at going at # 2.

At some point, clubs have to keep the opposition honest, so you can’t continue not to call out a player just because you know you won’t secure him.
Clubs aren’t looking to give Collingwood and the Dogs free hits by letting those father / sons slip through to double digits.
The smart thing to do is for the Kangas to say to these clubs, what’s in it for us if we don’t call out their names first. Maybe a lop sided trade or swap of picks could make all the difference.
The other thing to remember is that if North were to call out Daicos and Darcy with # 1 and # 2, then North’s later picks ( and other clubs ) will automatically move up the draft order.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:11 pm

jatsad wrote:
K wrote:
MC's Mix wrote:
Top few are almost all mids, keys are often duds in the top few.
Looking at 2017 draft (because 4 years is about right for a key to develop) the best couple so far are Oscar Allen and maybe Noah Balta? Both in the 20s. Naughton at 9 has been ok but probably not as good as the other 2 imo. Brander? Again, not as good.

I disagree!

We'll spend the next decade regretting not getting Naughton.

I agree. And he was a massive pies fan. But clueless never recruited big guys cause he liked his grunt players.

Folks who disagree with us should watch more WB games. Kicked a lazy 4 today in the west. Always looks an aerial threat. And still very young.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:48 pm

As previously posted, this would be the best thing that could happen for us at the draft. Darcy could seriously knock off Daicos from the number one spot if he keeps performing like this every week.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/638856/six-goal-haul-rockets-son-of-a-bulldog-gun-sam-darcy-into-no1-draft-pick-race
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:00 pm

If North are still interested in JDG, and come to us with an offer we can't refuse, do we do it?

Lets say they offer us Pick 1 and 19, then we can use Pick 1 on Darcy, which the Bulldogs match, we then pick Horne and match for Daicos at 3.

We get both Horne and Daicos, and Daicos instead of costing us 3,000 less 25%, costs us 2234 less 25% which would be largely covered by points for pick 19.

Added bonus is that we free up heaps of salary cap space to target a desperately needed key forward.
jatsad 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:18 pm

thebaldfacts wrote:
If North are still interested in JDG, and come to us with an offer we can't refuse, do we do it?

Lets say they offer us Pick 1 and 19, then we can use Pick 1 on Darcy, which the Bulldogs match, we then pick Horne and match for Daicos at 3.

We get both Horne and Daicos, and Daicos instead of costing us 3,000 less 25%, costs us 2234 less 25% which would be largely covered by points for pick 19.

Added bonus is that we free up heaps of salary cap space to target a desperately needed key forward.

I like the way you think, but I'm not sure we get 1 and 19 without something going back

thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:25 pm

jatsad wrote:
thebaldfacts wrote:

I like the way you think, but I'm not sure we get 1 and 19 without something going back

All depends how desperate North is and how hard we wish to haggle. Hopefully we have a better crew negotiating than last years lot. Besides, North owe us, we gave Stevo away to them.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:33 pm

No way Nth is going to give us pick 1# for JDG... let alone also pick 19#
MJ23 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 12:30 pm

I get genuinely confused by this argument and how little so many know of how the system works.
As has been said - unless we finish dead last we come out in front. Thats a gamble Id take unless we planned to tank.

For that one pick we got Poulter, McMahon and third round picks for points for Daicos. Essentially, three players for one.

We started our rebuild at the draft LAST YEAR and will round the youth out with the mid season this year and Daicos.

Trading our first pick was right then and is no less right now.

Lazza 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:30 pm

Thanks for making this clear to me. I was one of those confused 🤔
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:30 pm

With the run home Nth have this season anyone would have thought they have won 3 out of the last 4 flags. So forget tanking, impossible to come last.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:35 pm

Time to move on folks. Rolling Eyes
derkd 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:12 pm

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
No way Nth is going to give us pick 1# for JDG... let alone also pick 19#

Our supporters are some of the worst at over stating our players value at the trade table.

De Goey now, would be only worth a pick 8 to 15. We could have got far far more for him when North were chasing him a few years back.

The Nuaghton arguments are wonderful 20/20 hindsight....yep we should have taken him.

But would he even be the player he is now at Collingwood? The Dogs have a gun midfield that can deliver the ball on a silver plate to the forwards. We (Collingwood)are a 1986 commodore to the dogs Bugatti Veyron..Naughton at Collingwood would have been trained into the ground done 5 hammies. Signed to an absurd contract (probably 7 years on 1 mil a year by the board) ....and be dyeing of cold in the forward line....welcome to Collingwood 2021 Aaron....for the sake of your career and success your better off at the dogs mate.

Edit: on Stephenson if I can dig up the post I will. But I remember saying at the time I felt the worst thing for his career would be winning the Rising Star...and I am right...go back and look at the list of past winners and name me those who went on the have Stella careers ...you can count them on one hand.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: