Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Israeli–Palestinian conflict

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 10:12 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I wouldn't want to be sharing office space with the Nicks corporate headquarters when the Israelis find out what is occurring on this forum!

Hey, we’ve got people posting literal IDF propaganda verbatim, so I think we’ll be okay!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 2:12 pm

Hey, I'm just putting up the IDF view, not saying it's correct but it is what they're saying.

On the other hand for those playing at home, a little easy reading background to the whole mess.

https://www.news.com.au/world/middle-east/the-uns-1947-proposed-partition-of-palestine-70yearold-map-at-heart-of-intractable-israel-crisis/news-story/f21e297216e470b780fa8c49f2e800ff

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 5:54 am

In amongst the murderous exchanges of best friends (Hamas and Netanyahu) comes some glimmer of hope:

https://m.jpost.com/israel-news/jewish-israeli-murdered-in-lod-riot-gives-life-through-organ-donation-668533

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2021 3:35 pm

Ceasefire.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-21/israel-gaza-conflict-ceasefire-announced/100154602

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:29 pm

Meet the new government, same as the old one …

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/israeli-airstrikes-target-gaza-sites-fire-carrying-balloons/100221800

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:32 am

David wrote:
Meet the new government, same as the old one …

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-17/israeli-airstrikes-target-gaza-sites-fire-carrying-balloons/100221800

What, so they should invite more balloons laden with fuel and bombs to continue to set ablaze forests, buildings and people? Pathetic David.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:54 am

Strangely it is possible to condemn violent retaliations without endorsing provocation. (Having said that, this does not seem to have, as I presumed when I posted that, so far resulted in another round of attacks on civilians. But I don’t hold high hopes that the new government will pursue a fundamentally different approach.)
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:08 am

David wrote:
Strangely it is possible to condemn violent retaliations without endorsing provocation. (Having said that, this does not seem to have, as I presumed when I posted that, so far resulted in another round of attacks on civilians. But I don’t hold high hopes that the new government will pursue a fundamentally different approach.)

There were no deliberate attacks on civilians David. That is a false premise.

However: https://www.timesofisrael.com/photos-show-hamas-tunnel-dug-underneath-courtyard-of-unwra-school-in-gaza/amp/

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:28 pm

I didn't say "deliberate", although I think the kindest adjective you could use is "callous and indifferent". The fact is that unarmed civilians were injured (2000) and killed (128, over half of them children) by these latest military strikes, and that this has occurred in every major Israeli military campaign in Gaza (not to mention the destruction of crucial infrastructure, which sometimes does indeed appear to be deliberate). Any attempt to semantically explain that away is just sophistry.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:54 pm

David wrote:
I didn't say "deliberate", although I think the kindest adjective you could use is "callous and indifferent". The fact is that unarmed civilians were injured (2000) and killed (128, over half of them children) by these latest military strikes, and that this has occurred in every major Israeli military campaign in Gaza (not to mention the destruction of crucial infrastructure, which sometimes does indeed appear to be deliberate). Any attempt to semantically explain that away is just sophistry.

This isn't semantics. no one wants any civilian to be harmed but apparently it's OK for Israeli civilians to be harmed.

The numbers were way over inflated by Hamas. The fact that the population of Gaza is over 70% minors then statistically the numbers are quite low.

Secondly, some of the so called minors were older adolescents and part of the military wing.

Remember Israel retaliated to missiles. There were over 4000 missiles fired. I thought Israel's reaction was moderate.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:11 pm

^

We're on the same page here. It's a circle of violence designed by a psychopathic marketing expert designed to elicit media sympathy for those in Gaza and simultaneous condemnation of Israel at the expense of civilian casualties. And it works.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:44 pm

watt price tully wrote:
David wrote:

This isn't semantics. no one wants any civilian to be harmed but apparently it's OK for Israeli civilians to be harmed.

The numbers were way over inflated by Hamas. The fact that the population of Gaza is over 70% minors then statistically the numbers are quite low.

Secondly, some of the so called minors were older adolescents and part of the military wing.

Remember Israel retaliated to missiles. There were over 4000 missiles fired. I thought Israel's reaction was moderate.

Firstly, these are official UN statistics. Secondly, I don't know how to dignify the two following paragraphs but it's appalling to me that anyone would suggest the numbers of underage deaths is "quite low" because of population demographics or justifiable because some minors are trained fighters (as are nearly all Israeli adults, for what it's worth ...). I know it's a fraught topic, but we don't need to throw our moral compass out the window just because the Israeli government did years ago.

stui magpie wrote:
^

We're on the same page here. It's a circle of violence designed by a psychopathic marketing expert designed to elicit media sympathy for those in Gaza and simultaneous condemnation of Israel at the expense of civilian casualties. And it works.

If you're only seeing the propaganda coming from one side, then I don't think you're really seeing anything close to the full picture. There's an aggressive marketing push on both sides to say the least, and plenty of resources devoted to making you think that Palestinians are the sole antagonists and that Israel is merely defending itself.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:26 pm

This has escalated to horrific levels overnight
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:30 pm

Goodbye Gaza.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:48 pm

Yep. Attacking military targets is one thing. Capturing 50 hostages and parading a dead German tourist is another.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41, 42, 43  Next
Page 4 of 43   

Jump to: