Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Progressive Politics

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't call David. He'll call you. Wink
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Free VPT? Free of Mods? Free to go hell for leather?

I'm interested.

Neutral

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZX-H5pxW0

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:06 am

Just saw this short video of the late David Graeber talking about centrism and thought of this thread. Reckon he sums up the status quo of contemporary two-party political systems pretty well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-9afwZON8dU

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:30 am

^^ That was a very interesting and morbidly funny view of the current situation. Thanks for posting it, David..
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:06 pm

^

Ditto, as far as political commentary goes, pretty sharp.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:46 am

He's right in terms of general herd behaviour, but there is a sophisticated market/bureaucratic thesis, which he waves away with a straw man at the beginning.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:16 pm

While I’m sure he’d disagree with your view on that (from what I know of his work), I don’t think he’s dismissing the possibility of an effective market/bureaucratic synthesis here so much as describing how such political forces are and tend to operate right now. While there are at least some meaningful differences between the policy agendas of, say, Blair and Obama, and Macron and Albanese, can we say confidently that there are any major centre or centre-left political parties in the Western world that don’t function exactly as he describes? And can you say that any of them are effectively prosecuting (or, if in opposition, arguing for) a positive and transformative agenda?
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:08 pm

David wrote:
While I’m sure he’d disagree with your view on that (from what I know of his work), I don’t think he’s dismissing the possibility of an effective market/bureaucratic synthesis here so much as describing how such political forces are and tend to operate right now. While there are at least some meaningful differences between the policy agendas of, say, Blair and Obama, and Macron and Albanese, can we say confidently that there are any major centre or centre-left political parties in the Western world that don’t function exactly as he describes? And can you say that any of them are effectively prosecuting (or, if in opposition, arguing for) a positive and transformative agenda?

That's a bizarre way of framing the world as we know it, though. There are no governments anywhere at any scale implementing transformative agendas, except of the radically bad variety.

It took a world war to get post-war growth, a Marshall Plan and a New Deal. It took a world war and atomic bombs to get a post-war Japan. It took the same war and a string of dictators to get modern South Korea.

That's the degree of social shift needed to get 'transformative' change. So this frustration with the world not looking like someone's mind's eye strikes me as very self unaware. Change is not Lego in the toddler's hands. Vision exists to help get you 10% betterment, not the new earth.

As I said with Biden, I'd take a 10% shift in a sensible direction, but still expect 25% of the country to be crazed. That's not because of some imaginary 'centrism'; it's because of centuries of geographically isolated weirdo religion, delusional exceptionalism and massive inequality. There's no switch to flick or posture to take on the political spectrum to get you beyond two centuries of social trends in five minutes. Well, unless you send the Enola Gay back to do its 'transformative' work.

As for someone like Macron, he does seem useless which is to say incapable of even getting that 10% improvement in many areas. But there is no one 'transformative' in French politics to replace him, except some extremist group ardently driven to transform things 30% to the worse.

This obsession with 'transformation' leads people to sit around stewing in their imaginations and dreaming up nonsense, instead of working out how they can get that first 10%, lock it in, and build on it.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:59 am

I guess this is the crux of it: what constitutes 10%? None of his supporters thought Sanders would usher in a new Eden, but did hope that he would work to shift US policy forward in significant and urgently needed ways. Biden marks an improvement on the wrecking ball that was Trump and has undone some of the damage he wrought, but I think the real measure of his success is whether he can be said to offer 10% (or, hell, 5%) improvement on the highly dysfunctional pre-Trump situation in 2016. If not, then the country is in a holding pattern at best – and quite possibly a lot worse off than that because of the likelihood that the next Republican administration undoes any marginal improvements and does a whole lot more than that. Same story here over the past 20+ years. And that reality reflects Graeber’s argument: you have one party offering to protect people from the dangerous backsliders opposite while not achieving much of anything when they get their turn at the wheel.

What a lot of countries – particularly the US – clearly need right now at the very least is a period under a Whitlam-style government that can achieve a lot in a short time, so that even if not everything sticks, a significant leap forward is still locked in. (An actually functional Whitlam government that can defend its gains and stick around in office would be even better still.) Gains that are too incremental won’t cut it when the situation is as dysfunctional as it is. So, yes, 10% might be something to hang one’s hat on. But is Biden really offering that?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:03 am

This poll perhaps gets to the crux of the matter: only 25% of Dems and 6% of Trumplicans rate inequality as their primary economic concern. That's nowhere near enough people worried about the biggest problem of the lot.

That 25% makes the Dems meaningfully preferable without being enough to fix the problem, thus the periodic lashing out at the 'centre'. But it's a hopeless equation anyhow if only 6% of the religious nutters on the other side are moved by it, if not being radically driven to oppose anything that might alleviate it.

https://thehill.com/hilltv/what-americas-thinking/566297-poll-inflation-named-as-top-economic-concern-among-voters

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:36 pm

This is as good a place as any for this.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-14/twitter-social-media-bullies-political-journalism/100458714

Lee Sales, ABC Journo, calls out the Left on Twitter.

Couple of selected pieces.
Quote:
Something has changed recently which is making political bullying far more insidious and increasingly challenging to bear.

It is that the bullying and harassment now comes, not in an occasional phone call from a real person, but at a furious pace on social media from politicians' acolytes, lackeys, fans and proxies, mostly — but not always — operating anonymously. It is non-stop, personal, often vile, frequently unhinged and regularly based on fabrications. It has the effect of an angry phone call from a politician magnified thousands of times over.

Quote:
Let's not duck the common thread here — it is overwhelmingly left-leaning Twitter users who are targeting ABC journalists for abuse. Of course, there are right-wing attacks too but the most ferocious campaigns are reserved for any journalist who questions, in even the most anodyne manner, the policies or public statements of Labor politicians, particularly the Opposition Leader Anthony Albanese, the Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews, the Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk and the West Australian Premier Mark McGowan.

Yep, I see people borderline frothing at the mouth in their desire to abuse people.

Quote:
This is an unusual experience for ABC journalists because we are usually targeted in the real world by the right.

Yep again. Is it a back handed compliment that if your views are somewhat centre and/or balanced then both extremes accuse you of being biased toward the other?

Quote:
One would imagine that in a democracy, restrictions on citizens' movements and freedoms should be subject to the most rigorous scrutiny. One might also assume all citizens would welcome journalists' questioning of such policies and indeed, view it as not merely desirable but essential..........

For example: should journalists raise the fact that a fully vaccinated Victorian resident with a negative COVID test who agrees to two weeks in quarantine is currently barred indefinitely from returning to their home if they are in New South Wales, unless they are granted a rare exemption? I asked that question last week and was attacked non-stop. According to the mob mentality on Twitter, questioning that decree is unacceptable.

Lots more, well written article, final point is spot on.

Quote:
journalists who remain on the site should stop reporting Twitter reaction as if it signifies anything remotely representative of the Australian public.

The ABC's last Australia Talks survey found that only 6 per cent of Australians use Twitter regularly — the same proportion as Reddit. Sixty-seven per cent of Australians say they never use Twitter. It is not a reliable gauge of public sentiment. It is well past time for news websites to stop running lazy stories that begin with "Twitter has reacted angrily to [insert latest moral outrage here]

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:45 pm

Completely agree with the last suggestion, but that’s entirely the fault of lazy journalists, not "the left".

Also, I don’t doubt what she’s saying she’s experienced is true, but it really does sound like her issue is with ALP partisans. Not trying to nitpick, but their lack of actual ideological conviction is surely a key part of the point here: it’s team-first thinking like that that sees enemies in anyone who goes against the Divine Word of Saint Dan and friends. Personally, I feel like it’d be nice to see them stop standing with Dan and start standing for some of the many important causes their party is failing on, but I guess that’d take more effort than being a 24/7 Twitter reply guy.

(Also, much more could – and I suppose will, in response to this article – be said about the problem with Sales’ ultimately chummy relationship with politicians vs her antipathy for the unwashed masses outside that professional bubble, but that’s another matter.)

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:57 pm

Agree,

It's not an indictment on all Left Leaning people, it's an observation about a subset, particularly Labor fanbois and gurls who inhabit Twitter.

The example of the restriction of movement was a good one. You could make a balanced argument about why border closures are wrong and also why they're necessary but simply viciously attacking anyone who criticises decisions made by your political party of choice isn't the sign of a balanced human.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:49 pm

One might quibble about the tenuous connection between the ALP and "progressive politics", too, of course.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:04 pm

^

Fair comment, I don't believe I made that link even tenuously. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: