Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Keane not returning from Ireland

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rd10.1998_11.1#36 

rd10.1998_11.1#36

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Faye is not even on the list at this point. No need for him to be
Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:56 am

My take is, the club rated his potential, gave him a contract. They allowed him to go back home in August. But in the end, the lure of home was too much.

Keane was developing well. Unfortunately, I think we all sensed it, he was plodding. As we now know, his heart was elsewhere.

In his time we delisted quite a few players… so it's part of the process to win some and to lose some.

Casting the net wider just means it might be less of a chance, but why exclude the option.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:26 pm

Charlie Oneeye wrote:
Casting the net wider just means it might be less of a chance, but why exclude the option.

Exactly the way I see it. I just don’t get the angst and the whinging about snaring players from anywhere. Historically Collingwood have never been great exponents of taking risks when compared to other clubs and we now can’t criticise this practice. Obviously the chances of getting a good player are worse than normal but to me it’s worth the effort.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:57 am

For a minute I thought this was old news, and then I remembered that it was Tohill who went back at the end of last year!

It's pretty understandable, really: it's obviously not an easy time to be on the other side of the world from your family. I think he showed some good signs last year and might have stepped up this season, but situations like this kind of come with the territory when you're importing players from the other side of the world on a temporary basis.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:41 am

Cats have suffered the same fate with one of their irish recruits deciding to stay home and play Gaelic instead.

During these COVID times, it will be difficult to bring in the irish players if they are not already established here like Tuohy for example.

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 4:48 pm

Sad indictment on the whole Cat B rookie concept for mine; that spot should be going to a young Australian player rather than pissing the investment away on an AFL vanity project

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:04 pm

SteveH67 wrote:
Cats have suffered the same fate with one of their irish recruits deciding to stay home and play Gaelic instead.

During these COVID times, it will be difficult to bring in the irish players if they are not already established here like Tuohy for example.

Agreed. Would be surprised if clubs took the punt down the track, even after COVID is no longer an issue – the reward vs expenditure doesn't really seem to be justified given how few who were not already based here have made it.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:32 pm

Im over this bloody Irish experiment, it never works out hardly. Give it up and go for some more home grown Indigenous players, who wont piss off and let us down.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:22 am

Piesnchess wrote:
Im over this bloody Irish experiment, it never works out hardly. Give it up and go for some more home grown Indigenous players, who wont piss off and let us down.

So no kid from the Tiwi islands or remote W.A. came to play football in Melbourne, got homesick, and decided to go back to his community?
Plenty of kids, from interstate, from remote communities, from the bush "piss off", it's not just the Irish.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:16 pm

thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

So no kid from the Tiwi islands or remote W.A. came to play football in Melbourne, got homesick, and decided to go back to his community?
Plenty of kids, from interstate, from remote communities, from the bush "piss off", it's not just the Irish.

By far most indigenous players stick, the Irish experiment is cactus, the only really good one was the late, great, Jim Stynes, and that Cats defender, maybe one other, thats bout it. Confused

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:48 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
thesoretoothsayer wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

By far most indigenous players stick, the Irish experiment is cactus, the only really good one was the late, great, Jim Stynes, and that Cats defender, maybe one other, thats bout it. Confused

Hey Piesnchess, I loved the way Sean Wight played and wouldn’t have minded him in magpie colours.

think better 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:12 pm

Has to be said - I guess Keane just wasn't keen
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:02 pm

Ronnie McKeowns boots wrote:
Sad indictment on the whole Cat B rookie concept for mine; that spot should be going to a young Australian player rather than pissing the investment away on an AFL vanity project

Except the Cat B rookie list is separate to the primary list, young Australians don't qualify unless they come from a different sport like Wilson or Keeffe.

Same reasons as if he had of decided before the draft, we wouldn't have had an extra spot on the list nor can we replace him in the midseason draft.

I've got no problems with taking a speculative punt on a kid from a different sport or from overseas, if they don't work out or decide to go home, that's life.

SteveH67 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:35 pm

So now he wants to comeback and try again.

Would the club be interested, or will he have to go elsewhere?

https://www.afl.com.au/news/754544/-i-d-love-to-come-back-irish-ex-pie-open-to-afl-return

Born to Pie 

Born to Pie

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 7:39 pm

I posted this in the mid season draft discussion, as they said in the article he probably would have been in the team now due to injuries in Roughead and Dean, I think he's missed his chance.

He stepped away due to homesickness, but he hasn't even been playing Gaelic football while he's been away, he's been playing hurling.

We took Marty Clarke back and saw that once you break the development momentum, you can't get it back.

No guarantee that Wilson, who grew up playing footy, was ever going to make it. But he stepped away to play basketball, and we've been putting the effort into him for a few years now and I really don't see him making it at AFL level.

I for one think this Irish experiment (and our current USA one) are done!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: