Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Oz cricket coach.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:32 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

"Andrew McDonald has been appointed head coach of Australia's men's team after a successful period as caretaker that saw him spearhead a historic Test series victory in Pakistan.

Cricket Australia has appointed McDonald, who has served as an assistant since 2019, on a four-year deal that will see him oversee the Test, ODI and T20 sides.

The 40-year-old takes charge ahead of a significant 12 months for the men's team, which will include Test tours of Sri Lanka and India plus a T20 World Cup on home soil."

CA

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2022 10:10 pm

Well credentialed and well deserved.

Coached Victoria to 2 Sheffield Shields. Good enough for me. Very Happy

K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:25 am

Skids wrote:
Langer to coach the Poms?

McDonald quoted saying it'd be good for box office. Shocked
K 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:27 am

K wrote:
K wrote:
And who is Jeff Vaughan?? Laughing Never heard of him before!!

"From boyhood backyard cricket in Broken Hill to assistant coach of the Australian team, it's been a 30-year journey for Jeff Vaughan.

But that didn't stop him from representing South Australia for a number of years as a player, before transitioning into coaching, before later becoming Tasmania's head coach in 2020.

During his short stint with the Tassie Tigers which began in 2017, the incoming batting coach has received plenty of praise from players like Matthew Wade, who said Vaughan is, "As good a batting coach as I've worked with".

"He's got a great ability to be able to let players make their own decisions and if it doesn't work then he'll provide another opportunity to help you find a way," according to Wade."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-03/from-broken-hill-to-batting-coach-of-australia/100263948

Going back to coach Tassie, so McDonald will have a couple of new assistants.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:28 pm

K wrote:
Skids wrote:
Langer to coach the Poms?

McDonald quoted saying it'd be good for box office. Shocked

Langer ruled out by England.

And Key (England's director of cricket) says his first choice would've been Ricky Ponting, if he had any interest.
K 

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 9:03 pm

K wrote:
... McDonald will have a couple of new assistants.

Media name Vettori as possible deputy.

One bonus of Vettori would be giving the clueless Oz batters practice against SLA bowling. Of course there's prolly nothing anyone can do to improve FTB Smith's batting against the ball that spins away... 'Cos FTB's whole batting technique is defective. He relies on swiping across the line to the legside to score... Obviously disastrous if there's spin away... Which is why he's hopeless against SLA and legspin bowling.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:02 pm

Wowee... Langer was seething with anger in a recent keynote speech.

I guess no surprise. That's his nature... And why the dressing room turned against him! He doesn't seem to get it.

Meanwhile, Baz McCullum has taken the England job. No previous 1st-class coaching experience... But some slogathon experience. The past appointment this feels closest to is Lehmann's.
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 3:02 pm

*Brendan.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:38 pm

K wrote:
Meanwhile, Baz McCullum has taken the England job. No previous 1st-class coaching experience... But some slogathon experience. The past appointment this feels closest to is Lehmann's.

Cricket media are in love with "Bazball". Who came up with that name?? Surely, not Baz himself...
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:08 pm

Cummins attempts to heal rift with greats over Langer’s departure

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cummins-attempts-to-heal-rift-with-greats-over-langer-s-departure-20221118-p5bzhh.html

'Test captain Pat Cummins has met Adam Gilchrist in the first act of a diplomatic campaign to ease the tension between past and current players stemming from the messy departure of former coach Justin Langer.

Neither Cummins nor Gilchrist would comment to the Herald and The Age about the meeting in Adelaide this week...

Current players and support staff believe there is an “agenda” behind the pile-on. ...

The latest is Mark Waugh...

Waugh’s column said Australian fans were no longer connecting with the team since the players forced Langer out. Waugh also questioned the style of current coach Andrew McDonald, who was a senior assistant under Langer from late 2019.'

Bemusement, frustration: Langer outburst inflames player feud

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/bemusement-frustration-justin-langer-outburst-inflames-player-feud-20221123-p5c0og.html

'Justin Langer’s recent interview has further inflamed the intergenerational feud in Australian cricket...

Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s chief executive, came to the defence of the national men’s team on Wednesday, confirming multiple rounds of feedback had been handed to Langer, and saying he was disappointed by comments “unfairly criticising some of our players”.'
K 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:16 pm

Ponting looms as peace broker around Perth Test

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/ricky-ponting-looms-as-peace-broker-around-perth-test-20221124-p5c13r.html

'“Punter kept JL very even,” one current player told The Age and The Sydney Morning Herald.

Langer and Cummins have been in communication for some weeks, and the publication of the interview has not ended the chances of that dialogue continuing in person around the Test match.'

Langer says he’s not ‘bitter, twisted’, didn’t call Cummins a coward

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/langer-says-he-s-not-bitter-twisted-didn-t-call-cummins-a-coward-20221125-p5c19o.html

'In a News Corp podcast, Langer hit out at people who gave anonymous quotes against him to journalists saying the word “sourced” should be replaced with the word “coward”.

“There’s sort of talk about relating the word coward with Pat Cummins. It could not be further [from the truth]. If you listen to the podcast, I was actually praising Pat. ...”

“I keep reading about Langer has got a let it go, and he’s bitter and twisted. Oh man, I’ve never been this happy in my whole life. I feel really happy,” Langer told Seven.

“Those guys we’re talking about, I ate with them, I drank with them, I celebrated with them, we got through COVID together, we got through sandpaper together, we won the World Cup together. We won the Ashes together. They are like my little brothers.”'
K 

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:31 pm

Geoff Lawson:

Langer has done a disservice to himself and cricket, and game must move on without him

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/langer-has-done-a-disservice-to-himself-and-cricket-and-game-must-move-on-without-him-20221126-p5c1gw.html
K 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:45 pm

'Both Cummins and current coach Andrew McDonald have said that a four-year term is enough in their high-pressure roles, the same length of tenure Langer had as coach. It was endorsed this week by veteran opener Usman Khawaja, who claimed coaches should have four-year terms like US presidents.

“I think there is a use-by date. When you come into a role, you want to have an impact, and you want to have fresh ideas,” said Cummins. “After a certain amount of time, it’s time for someone else to have a crack at it.

“That’s in the back of my mind, that the day will come. I won’t just be finished my career and captaincy with it, hopefully I can feel the right time to pass it over, I’m still right to keep playing.

“And coaching is a really, really tough role in cricket, especially three different formats. You spend 10 months a year away. You can’t just take it lightly. There’s not many breaks.”'

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/no-cowards-in-australian-cricket-team-cummins-20221129-p5c26g.html
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:45 pm

... and your opinion, K ?

K 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:06 pm

Donny wrote:
... and your opinion, K ?

Coaches def have expiry dates... But Khawaja's fixed-term call is much more rad than anything Cummins and co said.

Fixed terms are normal in admin e.g. AFL Boards, etc. 'Cos someone like Eddie can hang around forever without them. But coaches normally get the shove soon enough anyway,

So... Dunno... Interesting idea... But prolly more important is having different coaches for the different formats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: