Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies v. Giants. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

perthmagpie wrote:
10.1 to 8.17 after quarter time. If both teams had 50% accuracy we would of won by 9 goals.

I was thinking the same thing,about how the result should have been so much greater but for our inaccuracy.It’s strange how two teams playing on the same ground in the same conditions can have such wildly divergent accuracy rates.I don’t know how it’s possible,especially when we were the home team.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:42 pm

I don't want to continue on the umpires - but how do they pay a 50 against Adams for not standing the mark (or whatever rubbish they said he did when he was moving backwards to where the umpire said the mark was?) but they don't against the GWS player who TACKLED WHE while he was running back to take his kick after a free kick in (I think it was) the second quarter. It was clearly after the game had stopped and WHE had run back about 10 metres already, it was clearly way WAY over the mark (like 10 metres over the mark) and a GWS player was standing the mark at the same time! AND it clearly stopped WHE from kicking the ball, which is the whole reason the 50m penalty was brought in the in the first place. One 50/50 decision if you're being kind to the umpires, one dogs balls obvious decision they didn't pay.

Surely they can get the obvious ones right most of the time and the dubious ones right some of the time, but for us it's the other way around. At least they feel guilty enough about it to pay make up free kicks sometimes (see vs. Pendles in the last quarter), which clearly don't have the same impact but make the overall free kick count look better.

- Ben
piffdog 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:04 pm

Just got around to the replay and if we played that game 10 more times 11 points would be the narrowest margin.

Not only were we pretty unlucky/sloppy in front of goal, but we had a bunch of gilt edges chances too (checkers, billy dropped chest marks 15m out in front). Josh Daicos wont miss those three shots again this year, Henry and Checkers running into goal unpressured 25m out, Chugg with a sneaky cross from one that flew over the back of the pack, Cox wouldn’t miss from there 9/10 times. It was pissing rain too which makes those tighter set shots very difficult.

We probably only got a couple of flashy ones (Henry 4q, Checkers soccer off the ground 2q).

Despite them closing at the end it was still dominant Pies in that 4th q. This post isn’t intended to be critical - but I think it says something about the development of the team that we can get the points when we squander a lot of chances. Last couple years we had to make every post a winner to stay in the game. God help an oppo who comes up against us when we are taking our chances if we can win the contest and defend like that.

the fuzz 

Fuzz loves Bruzz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:24 pm

Great post. 100%.
When we click for the whole 4 quarters, we will dominate.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:30 pm

I have commented a few times on their ability to shut down a dangerous momentum swing that threaten,s a loss and it happened again Sunday

This is a combination of some very experienced seniors plus some less experienced playing their rolls as they have been instructed to

Fly said they are process driven and you can see it

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 11:37 pm

I agree. The ability to respond to opposition momentum is something that we have established this year. I think we took very significant learnings from the game in particular against Geelong where we were unable to answer their momentum in the last quarter.

In our last few games, we have demonstrated that we have the capability to contain and arrest opposition momentum. Our recent games, against Carlton, Hawthorn and GWS demonstrated the tremendous resilience and capacity for holding out that we have developed. The game against Melbourne likewise. In the 2nd quarter, and initially in the 3rd, it looked like they were going to run rampant, but we were able to hold them off and launch the counterattack.

This resilience, this capacity for winning in a desperate battle, has actually reminded me of Hawthorn in their (shudder to remember) three peat era. Many commentators in the media have likened our game style to Richmond's. But I also detect the same diabolical refusal to give in that Hawthorn had in their golden era.

slangman 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:17 am

Make no mistake, if it wasn’t for below AFL average accuracy, we would be sitting on top of the ladder.
The losses to Geelong and WCE in succession were on the back of our inaccuracy and their ability to capitalise on every one of their opportunities.
Although we lead the Cats by 37pts late in the 3rd qtr, in reality we squandered plenty of easy chances and should have been at least a further 2-3 goals ahead at the last break.
As for the WCE game, it was summed up Cameron's miss from the top of the goal square and Kennedy snapping a goal from 40m on the boundary.

We have the game style, we have the personnel, we have the endeavour….but there is one thing holding us back. Fix that and we are a REAL threat!!!

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:05 am

[quote="BazBoy"]their ability to shut down a dangerous momentum swing that threaten,s a loss and it happened again Sunday [quote]

I saw that too baz. It was with 10 min to go in the first that we decided on tightening the screws on them when controlling the footy and pace of the game. Unfortunately for the commentators they were still calling out at that stage that the game will be a shoot out regardless of what was unfolding before their eyes.

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:01 pm

piffdog wrote:
Just got around to the replay and if we played that game 10 more times 11 points would be the narrowest margin.

I really liked that.

Even though we have a core group, we have a new game plan, coaches, we are clearly adding a high % of experience every week.

We have been impressive.

If we keep this up, in the years to come, in similar circumstances, we will keep the door shut.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:16 pm

I watched the game again last night and when GWS (assisted by a 100 metre penalty and Moore crusifixion) scooted within 2 kicks we went into an intense lockdown
Every player stuck to an opponent like glue—caused contest after contest which chocked GWS

Even with the closeness I felt the shutdown momentum style kicked in

Charlie Oneeye Scorpio

charlie oneeye

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:15 pm

Yea, we knuckled down. Credit to the team for doing that. We should remind ourselves it's far easier to say than to do. It seemed par for course. Noteworthy.

I know this is strange to say, but we look more reliable, more resilient. Please nobody ever ever repeat this... We look more like Mathews Lions than Collingwood. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: