Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:06 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading the quotes I feel the need to read more xxx

RIP

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:08 am
Post subject: RIP Queen Elizabeth the second.Reply with quote

My English heart is so sad today. Xxxx

You can have your republic now.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:21 am

London Bridge is down.

Good innings, well played. RIP.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:28 am

A wonderful, graceful lady and a brilliant role model. RIP Madam.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:05 am
Post subject: Re: Health concerns for Queen Elizabeth IIReply with quote

David wrote:
Some suggestions the Queen might be about to cross the rainbow bridge:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-62836057

She would be happier there than with people

I’m guessing you hijacked my thread.

I guess I should have left the tavern to your stupid wordle and politics

Disrespect says far more about the person doing it than the one it’s about

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:06 am

pietillidie wrote:
^Yep. Breaking news here on telly as we speak.

She was inoffensive as far as these things go. RIP.

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61585886

Your not, go you

Huh I should have known better

Cheers enjoy your fucktardery

Ps if you want to be arsewipes there is a what made me happy thread

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:19 am

think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Chill, I merely combined the two existing threads on the same subject. I even kept your title! Shocked

Those feeling sad about Liz's passing are absolutely entitled to pay their respects, but keep in mind she wasn't just your personal queen – she was the head of state for all of us, and we're all entitled to express our own views on her, her office and what she represented more broadly.

Personally I've been thankful to encounter a bit of humour today on social media as opposed to wall-to-wall performative grief, which I'm sure a lot of the TV and radio stations are full of at the moment. But each to their own.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:11 pm

Very sad and a truly extraordinary reign.

You would have to be at least 75 years old to have remembered her becoming Queen, which just shows her longevity at the top.

96 is a good innings. RIP.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:12 pm

While I'd very much prefer to be a member of a Royal family than live in abject poverty I'd still prefer to be part of the majority that is neither of those two groups and live my life free from endless scrutiny and invasion of privacy.

In reality the Queen and her family are still just people and while they might be more famous and wealthy than most I sense people would be shocked that away from public view their family unit is filled with the same light and shade us our own, sometimes flawed, sometimes selfish, sometimes capable of much love and compassion.

For her family today her loss will be grieved every much we would do our own mother or grandmother and that in itself is enough reason to show a little respect.

While I'm no monarchist I'm also not so hate filled I have anything against a group of people who find themselves in a privileged but totally bizarre situation based on a birth right. While the presence of the Queen wasn't of major significance in my life, she has still been a presence throughout it and when you've reached an age your own grandmothers have long since gone she served as a reminder of them. In a strange way that provided a little comfort if only for the hope your own mother can live such a long and healthy life.

As for the talk that she and the Royal family have given nothing back for the privilege afforded to them or are a leech on the English taxpayer I can't agree.

The English Royal family are synonymous with how the the wider world views the United Kingdom, their continued status when other European monarchies have faded from view would generate vast tourism dollars every year as people flock to landmarks where they can see a glimpse of all the history, pomp and ceremony attached to the Royals. Then of course there would be the countless memorabilia sold (most unofficial) each year that would generate extra income for a range of retailers big and small.

Personally I feel they more than pay their way.

As for not giving back that doesn't seem fair or remotely correct.

While I'm clearly no expert on these matters did she not give back when traveling to many Commonwealth countries which in the days before airliners would have been long journeys by cruise ship, attending God only knows how many official engagements across the decades, meeting heads of state, bestowing the Royal title to important institutions like hospitals or using her status to provide a comforting voice in difficult times, push a charitable cause or voice her concerns privately to people in power.

The fact that she continued to do many of those things well in to her 90's and with failing health (hell she only met with the new British PM a couple of days ago) shows very much how seriously she viewed service to country.

May she rest in peace.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:34 pm

I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.

Last edited by David on Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:36 pm

Very sad news, RIP

Most people have only ever known one monarch, this will bring forward the republic debate as was always expected once Charles became the king.

To think Collingwood won the last ever Queens Birthday Blockbuster!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:39 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
David wrote:

Chill, I merely combined the two existing threads on the same subject. I even kept your title! Shocked

Those feeling sad about Liz's passing are absolutely entitled to pay their respects, but keep in mind she wasn't just your personal queen – she was the head of state for all of us, and we're all entitled to express our own views on her, her office and what she represented more broadly.

Personally I've been thankful to encounter a bit of humour today on social media as opposed to wall-to-wall performative grief, which I'm sure a lot of the TV and radio stations are full of at the moment. But each to their own.

you $$%^%%$ chill, you as good as called her a dog. and you didnt mean it nicely. it wasnt the same subject at all, yours was news, mine was a tribute thread.

insults dressed as humour are still insults! ive said it before and im sure ill say it again, start another thread called ill be an areshole about a dead person.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:54 pm

eddiesmith wrote:
Very sad news, RIP

Most people have only ever known one monarch, this will bring forward the republic debate as was always expected once Charles became the king.

Good point. It wasn't her actual birthday, but what happens now? Does the holiday stay the same, or same day but now Kings Birthday or what?

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:00 pm

think positive wrote:
pietillidie wrote:
^Yep. Breaking news here on telly as we speak.

She was inoffensive as far as these things go. RIP.

BBC: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61585886

Your not, go you

Huh I should have known better

Cheers enjoy your fucktardery

Ps if you want to be arsewipes there is a what made me happy thread

WTF? I'm distinguishing her from the rest of the nonsense. Most Brits I know make the same distinction; i.e., they like QE2 far more than the rest of it.

There's nothing weirder than Aussies trying to out-royal locals.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:00 pm

stui magpie wrote:
eddiesmith wrote:
Very sad news, RIP

Good point. It wasn't her actual birthday, but what happens now? Does the holiday stay the same, or same day but now Kings Birthday or what?

Same day but now called King's Birthday is my bet. Apparently the notion of celebrating the monarch's birthday at around May/June goes back to the eighteenth century:

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/celebrity/will-the-queens-birthday-public-holiday-change-now-that-charles-is-king/news-story/bafb169f7f030f36fbd68a85951ed613#:~:text=The%20celebrations%20are%20normally%20held,and%20her%2070%2Dyear%20reign.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 89, 90, 91 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 90 of 100   

Jump to: