Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

HECS debt.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:36 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

nomadjack wrote:
I've worked in the sector since the mid 1990s including at most Victorian unis at one point or another. Melbourne and Monash are cash making machines but the rest are not. I'm lucky enough to be in a continuing position now, but spent 11 years working on a casual basis from 12 week contract to 12 week contract and another 9 years as a research only staff member across 3 separate contracts. I love the work but it's not a career I recommend to those coming through now. Reliance on short term contract labour and casuals means that approximately half of all uni staff on in insecure work. Average Vice Chancellor's salaries are north of 1million a year. At the same time 21/40 Australian unis have recently been or are currently under investigation for wage theft. If I had my time again, it's probably not a career I'd choose and that's from someone who actually loves the job itself.

Dips my lid. I taught at RMIT TAFE for a little while in the 1990’s ( and Wangaratta and Wodonga TAFE’s for 6/12 at 0.6 at both) worked my arse off for not too much. I also did some sessional work at Uni which was fine if I didn’t want a career in it. Hard way to make a living.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: