Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

What made you sad today?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:48 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken. I know exactly how you feel. But you can't blame yourself. None of the friends in my group spoke about what happened until many years later. One of our group actually committed suicide which then got everyone talking (we were in our 20's then) and wishing we'd said something sooner... we were just terrified kids.

I still haven't told my parents about the monster who lived 4 doors down, who they thought, was their friend.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:31 am

Thanks Skids, sad to hear that you have also suffered. I have decided to reach out to someone I know that has gone through this for some advice.
I thought that I was okay but I do believe that I might need some help.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:48 am

KenH wrote:
My family I should have told and hope I haven't lost their trust. They won't say that but there must be doubts.

It's always hard to know how people will react, but I feel like people who love you will never blame you for keeping something like this from them. Trauma affects people differently, and ultimately you don't owe that disclosure to anyone. It's good it's come out now, but that's about you and your healing – not what you owe others.

Anyhow, I reckon it's a really good idea to see someone. The mental health care plan that you can organise through a GP is a great start, I reckon, as it means you get a minimum of six sessions with a psychologist. I don't know if Castlemaine is too much of a hike from where you are, but I can recommend someone I've seen in the past who's based there if it helps.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:38 pm

I agree with David, Ken, get in touch with a professional. There's plenty who work in the sexual trauma space. I can probably get some contacts for you if you like.

And Skids, shit man, sorry to hear it.

KenH Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:12 pm

Thanks David and Stui, I have reached out to a professional and will take advice. Thanks to all on here this place helps a lot.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:59 pm

Goodonya mate, take care.

It's a bit like a family on here at times, often more Manson than Partridge but hey. Wink

But seriously, where I work at the moment, apart from other things, they provide services to kids and families who've experienced trauma, violence and sexual assault. I can easily ask for some contacts in your area and pass them on, just PM me if the one you've got doesn't work out.

Good luck.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:09 pm

Well it’s great this thread has been dormant for a couple of months, Ken I hope you are well xx

My sister in law who was married to hubby’s brother had a brother who woke up about 35 years ago and had lost his memory almost completely, his recall was less than 5 min. No explanation has ever been found. He was a lovely guy. I didn’t know him before it happened but apparently he really was. He passed away this morning, I’m sad for his family but TBH I’m guessing there is relief there too. He’s been in a nursing home for the last few years, his wife kept him home for so long, she’s truly amazing. RIP Greg, xx

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:26 am

I’ve officially joined the orphan club. My Mum died peacefully last Sunday. and Family were able to say goodbye and tell her they loved her. She was 88.

This is a de-identified post from my youngest:

My grandmother (WPT’s Mum) died on Sunday. She was a tour de force - kind, beautiful, funny, intelligent, at times difficult, and always loving. She was born in Warsaw in 1934, survived the holocaust, and married my zaida in a displaced persons camp in Germany when the war finished. They moved to Australia in 1950 first Fitzroy North, then East Brunswick, and later Caulfield South. WPT’s Mum had three children by the time she was 22. She taught herself English, and spoke it fluently alongside Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. In Australia, she worked in a nail factory, worked as a clerk in a hospital, went to university late in life and studied arts and law, completing her honours in Russian language. 

Later in her life, WPT’s Mum ran a 1/2 marathon, became president of her rotary club, climbed to Mount Annapurna basecamp and taught jewish history. She taught/volunteered at a local “community school” for kids who have issues fitting in to regular school.

She was also a talented painter and writer, and the most incredible cook. Dinners for Rosh Hashanah or Passover went all night, with gefilte fish, chicken soup, briskets and cakes. As a young child, WPT’s mum always seemed glamorous, lots of gold jewellery and painted nails. She could also be embarrassing - in any cafe we would go into in Caulfield she would announce to everyone that I was her granddaughter…, and that she was so proud of me. 

Alzheimers cruelly marked the last few years of her life. While her mind and memories became unreliable in the end, her love for her family never did, nor did her love for talking with me about the law. 

On Friday, I got to sit with her, and I washed her hands and painted her nails and told her I loved her. I will miss her deeply ❤️
……………………………………………………………………………….

For me a mix of it being sad, awful and a relief. Taking this week off work.

Last edited by watt price tully on Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:46 am

Condolences, WPT. That's a beautiful tribute, and she sounds like she was a remarkable woman. Thoughts are with you and the family.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:08 am

^ Thanks David.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:46 am

Yeah, Condolences Jim. Wonderful tribute there by the daughter, sounds like she packed a fair bit into that life, finally at peace.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:41 am

stui magpie wrote:
Yeah, Condolences Jim. Wonderful tribute there by the daughter, sounds like she packed a fair bit into that life, finally at peace.

Cheers Stui 👍 in many respects she was remarkable. Just got on with it. She never did finish the law course to her regret.

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:06 pm

What a sensational tribute from your daughter, wow. Sorry for your loss.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:19 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
What a sensational tribute from your daughter, wow. Sorry for your loss.

Cheers Lazza 👍

Dark Beanie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:58 pm

Sorry for your loss WPT.
From your daughters tribute, a life well lived.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 60, 61, 62 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 61 of 70   

Jump to: