Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:28 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of player was Troy Broadbridge? I don't think I remember seeing him play...
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:35 am

Go to the Demons website via AFL.com and look him up. There may be two articles before his tragic passing.

He has played for three years, been out for one injured. I think he has played 46 games. Showed potentional by all reports. He is a better player now than when he played by all media reports.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:23 am

It's wonderful that you grieve for Troy Broadbridge Tess. I am sure the out pouring of sympathy his new wife and family have been heard and are helping them through this.

The Tragedy in all this is the overkill by the media. In the end it will do more harm than good. People will become desensitized and switch off. The damage will take 5 to 10 years to repair/rebuild. If people switch off it will become a lost cause.

No one is telling you not to grieve. I have not read that anywhere.

I am more concerned people are spruiking a medal/cup/game in his name. For a player who has played less than 50 games who most have never heard of until now. This to me is an insult to the likes of people like Bob Rose.

The Melbourne Football Club will honour Troy Broadbridge and that is what counts.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:28 am

I noticed Broadbridge a few times. He was rangy, athletic, and could have given them a very versatile player who would have been hard to match up on in a few positions. A bit like Ryan Lonie, less talented, but harder at the ball. Mainly played across back from what i saw, a little bit like a young Clement who with continued improvement and filling out body wise, could have perhaps turned into a very similar player to Clement.
foxychick Gemini

jay

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:15 pm

well God bless his soul and all the other victims of the tsunami no matter who it is no-one deserves to die in such a matter
blacknwhitechic Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:12 pm

I agree that we have to put things into perspective when talking about this tragedy...You look at the whole scale of it and we are talking about 150,000+ are dead, plus how many people injured, homeless and have lost their whole families, not just one person the way the media portrays it. I got really enoyed with my 10yr old tonight who told me he didn't like something that I put on his plate....I told him he should be grateful that he even has food to eat and that their are some people that have been affected by this that haven't eaten since the Tsunami hit.....

RIP to all the people who died in this awful tragedy......
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:55 am

Pie calls for courage from death
09 January 2005 Sunday Herald Sun
By JACKIE EPSTEIN
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,11886386%255E20322,00.html

Quote:
FORMER Collingwood champion Mick McGuane believes the death of Troy Broadbridge will galvanise the Melbourne players and lead to on-field success this season.

McGuane, a close teammate of Darren Millane who was killed in a car crash in late 1991, said the Demons would bond in the wake of this traumatic experience.

Broadbridge was in Phi Phi Island on his honeymoon with wife Trisha when he was killed by the Boxing Day tsunami disaster.

"It does galvanise the group, I've got no question about that," McGuane said.
Eunos 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:32 pm

And now the Dreamons are "retiring" his guernsey.
How many games did he play?
What a joke.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:50 pm

i don't think it's a joke.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:06 am

Eunos wrote:
What a joke.

No joke. Good decision. They'd obviosuly had councelling, and made their decision on it. He was a popular clubman, and you can imagine how hard it would have been.
London Dave Aquarius

Jete jedna pivo prosm

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:18 am

Eunos wrote:
What a joke.

Fair enough to 'retire' it for a season or two, though I tend to agree with you Eunos that it's a bit OTT. We'll have the 'Troy' fest for a while, whilst all the 'grieving' goes on. It's the Aussie way now, remember the mourning over a rockstar who died masturbating?

I kinda recall the pies retired 13 for a while after Wayne Gordon's early death through cancer. I think the player who resumed use of the number was John Bourke, who copped a big suspension for belting an ump (or booting one?) in a 2nds game. Pretty sure it ain't been seen since!
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:01 am

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11909750-23211,00.html

Quote:
The club confirmed Broadbridge's No.20 guernsey has been retired for at least this season.

Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:04 am

Johnson#26 wrote:
Tess wrote:
Perhaps we could start looking at dedicating the Queens Birthday match against Melbourne to him, or to one of the charities that are doing so much.

Good idea Tess, but he was from ther Port Magpies, so prehaps the Dees and Power should play off for the Broadbridge Memorial Cup?

J26, perhaps they were reading this thread here on Nicks?

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,11909746-23211,00.html

Demons-Port tribute match
By Rebecca Williams
January 11, 2005

A PERPETUAL trophy between Melbourne and Port Adelaide is among the suggestions being considered by the Demons to honour the memory of Troy Broadbridge.

As the Melbourne players came together yesterday to publicly remember their teammate, coach Neale Daniher said the club was considering ways to make a lasting tribute to Broadbridge.

Hired-Goon Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:05 am

True about all of the fuss etc, but it just breaks your heart to see him leave a wife behind, a new life that was just about to begin ended so abruptly. Rest in Peace.

I find it ridiculously easy to be ignorant to the emotional effects and the bearings that such disasters can have on lives, but its personal stories like these that really do hit home hard.
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:23 am

I don't really see how it's a joke. the guy has passed away what would you like them to do, nothing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 13 of 100   

Jump to: