Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Your Fav Pie Memory's

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greg J Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 9:55 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

My first game at Vic Park, was in the 70's, must have been 74, maybe 75. My family had just moved back from Western Oz, and my brother and I had chosed to support Collingwood, my 2 sisters Carlscum. The battle lines were drawn.

I must have been 7 or 8 when my mum took me brother and I to Vic Park to see us play North (my mum's team).

I think we got there late, as I remember the game already being on when we got there. We never got a seat, initially we just stood in the race between the grandstands and tried to watch the game.

What I remember, is the crowd of black and white. And I do mean crowd. I could barely see the game, but I do remember catching glimpses of my heroes Peter McKenna and Len Thompson in full flight (and also the original man who ate the last donut, Doug Wade).

It was enough for me (and my brother). Even though we did not see much of the game, even though we did not really understand whereabouts in Melbourne we were, even though we copped heaps each Monday morning at our new school, even though we had barely arrived in Melbourne and had just chosen our team, we knew we had chosen correctly and that we were Collingwood men for life.

Our family north in 1979 and we became separated from our beloved Collingwood. I took to reading the Australian just to get the scores. We survived on a single (albeit live) Saturday game each week (if you did not have to go off to basketball training).

We put with the Pies making and losing the '79, '80 and '81 finals. I remember being 17 and watching the '81 final in the hotel opposite the Manly Pier. My brother went to the toilet in the fourth quarter and by the time he came back, it was all over (he has vowed never to go to the toilet during a game since. There was nothing left to do except get pissed. I remember being at a party later that night committing a cardinal sin. I told all the stupid Sydney people that my dad owned the Collingwood footy club (I told them everyone knew the VFL clubs were privately owned). I explained that our dad had banned us from attending, coz we had been to the previous two grand finals and we had lost then both, so we where considered bad luck. Argh to be young, irresponsible and amongst football cretins!
London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2000 1:36 pm

Magpie Greg, I remember your games 9, 10 and 11 well. I recall a game v Fitzroy in the 79-81 period at VFL park. Must have been 50pts down at 3/4 time (well, a lot anyway) and we got up and won. I mentioned in an earlier post those were the best kind wins. Tuddy was pretty awesome in the 66 2sf. He was a bloody hard man. According to two of may mates who were there, and saw it, it wasnt O'Dea that clocked Greening, it was another well known Saints player.
What do people think of Brian Taylor. I always liked him cos he had a bit of mongrel in him, and was good value. perhaps we could do with a few loose nuts like him now.
joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 3:51 am

I dont want to sound like "perceptive fellow" here

But i can remember a collingwood side that used to be feared

we used to win more than we lost.

we were guaranteed a finals spot every year.

and the sad thing really is it wasnt that long ago

WE CERTAINLY HAVE COME FROM BUCKINGHAM PALACE TO THE RUINS OF BAGHDAD.........

London Dave Aquarius

Ješte jedna pivo prosím

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2000 9:11 pm

I stand corrected Magpie Greg. I just remember that game cos it was a great comeback. Whilst not on the magic game memory, 20 odd years ago, and ex pie player from the great 20-30's sides lived next door to my mate (Fitzroy) in Alphington. He was pretty old, but I remember him asking me over for a beer after he heard I was a pies fan. I had no idea who he was before going into his house. He had this magpie shrine in his house, with all his old stuff, pics of the legends of the time (including him I s'pose) and stuff like that. Talking with this guy (I think his name was Les or Len) was just awesome.
Joffa, your last post reminded me of the day, cos this bloke was pretty old but you could see his eyes burning with passion when he talked to me about the pies. I think its the only time in my life I ever just listened! In those days we were feared! Lets hope they return. I also recall hearing Ron Richards deliver a few half time addresses when he was ressies coach. There is a bloke with black and white blood!
Spidergirl 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 5:24 am

kewl story London Dave u r heaps lucky. Magpie shrine
--->wicked, like some of our places. I wonder just how many players r like that these days??? Probably the only Magpie Shrine they got is their paypacket!

???

joffa#2001 

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2000 2:04 pm

I live in a magpie shrine spides.you should come one night
and check it out!!....lol

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: