Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Terrible Tiffin

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 12:23 pm
Post subject: Terrible TiffinReply with quote

Tiffin today has given two terrible lbw's today. He had a shocking game in Melbourne last week and was just as bad when he was out here last season.

If we're going to have international umpires then thats fine but if Zimbabwe can't produce a good one then one use one from there.

Fradam Wrote This
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tiffin's terrible display enhances the chances for third umpire lbw decisions. At the very least the ump could get on the two-way just to check if the ball pitched outside leg. That is one area where the replay is definitive.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 9:42 pm

Yeah I agree with Donny. The decisions today were shocking no wonder Hayden was breaking glass and then he's the one that gets into trouble for doing so and Gilchirst gets in trouble for swearing like come on I don't blame them! I get mad at the footy but geez was I made today probably even more than when I'm at the footy!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:26 am

the umpiring in these 4th and 5th tests compared to the first 3 have been chalk and cheese. bucknor and koertzen(? something like that anyway) were fantastic and although it would be great, we probably cant expect all umpires to be that good. But to have such poor performances, consecutively, is a worry. not just referring to langer's dismissal either...just simple things. bichel only bowling 5 ball overs on 2 occassions, wrong decisions on sundries(byes called when off the bat, vice versa etc), i think it was Tiffin who referred to the 3rd ump for a decision to determine if the fieldsman managed to keep his feet off the rope, then didnt bother to wait for the response, instead incorrectly calling it 4 after seeing a grainy replay on the big screen 100 metres away. vaughan, langer, hayden all given out when not... a mistake every now and then happens and is expected and accepted but its been woeful, particularly when they are part of a group of just 8 international umpires. the standard needs to be raised.

[This message has been edited by ramjet21 (edited 06 January 2003).]
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:50 am

Tif's at it again. Another shocking lbw against Bichel. I've got the feeling it's going to be a long Captains Report after the game from one S Waugh.

Fradam Wrote This
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:54 am

Don't forget England have copped some rough decisions as well. Vaughan had every right to be upset as he was robbed of a double century!!! Yet he controlled himself and didn't go breaking stuff.

In New Zealand v India there have been even worse decisions given in relation to caught behinds etc yet the players controlled themselves.

I have to say it but Australia are not graceful in defeat. England have lost the previous four tests yet didn't going damaging property. The worst was Butcher flicking the stumps with his bat.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:19 am

Vaughan was one of the two shockers. I forgot to mention which ones they were. I thought he got the Ponting one right. Langers was the absolute shocker. I cant see how he couldve possibly thought it pitched in line.

When Butcher was given out his was plumb so I dont know why he smashed the stumps.

You don't go near a batsman in the rooms after he has come back from a bad lbw. Just steer clear for a while.

You cant do anything anymore. Whilst walking off after a poor decision dont fo as i did which is throw your bat up in the air and catch it again because the umpire will have a talk to you after the game.

Dont smash the stumps, the windows or throw your bat kids.

Fradam Wrote This
scud 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:52 am

stupid idea having glass doors in a cricket change room.
Tufin's worst decision would have been Trescothic's off Macgill in Melbourne followed by langer's yesterday. both were discraceful. He's worse than Tony Foo.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 6:07 am

Umpires, not just Tiffen, seem to forget the basic rule of the umpire's code. Particularly with lbws.

It is: You must be 100% sure the batsman is out to give him the finger. Fairly sure, ooooh that was close, gee he might have nicked that etc. are all easy decisions - NOT OUT.

With lbws, once you've checked the relevant technicalities - where did the ball pitch, did it hit in line, would it have hit the stumps etc., then if ANY doubt remains, the decision is simple - NOT OUT.

Yes, there have been shockers against both teams but the most recent come to mind. Vaughan, Langer and Hayden were glaringly wrong and Bichel's was just as easy to give not out. A big off cutter that hits a pad in front of leg or even middle and leg is missing leg stump!

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
ramjet21 Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:23 pm

can anyone explain what rule it was hayden broke? its probably not the best to go tearing the dressing room apart but surely its only dissent on the field. at least from what i read it was never suggested he was in dissent of the decision(albeit that it was wrong). a bloke can walk 3 feet inside the dressing room and smash his locker to peices with his bat in frustration and annoyance if he wants to - whats the difference with the glass? he offered to pay for it, he even suggested he made sure no one was in danger of being hurt before he did it... what law in the rule book did he break?

Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 1:28 pm

It's an ICC player code of conduct rule he broke. There are Levels 1-5. His was a level 1.

I suspect it was brought in after Ian Healy through his bat up the stairs in South Africa. I thought him losing the vice captaincy for it was punishment enough.

Fradam Wrote This
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: