Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Warney to Retire from One-dayers !!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:08 pm
Post subject: Warney to Retire from One-dayers !!Reply with quote

Shane Warne to retire from international one-day cricket
Australian Cricket Board - 22 January 2003

Australian leg-spinner Shane Warne announced today that he will retire from international one-day cricket after the International Cricket Council World Cup 2003 which starts in South Africa next month.

Australia's leading one-day international wicket taker said he made the decision after discussion with medical advisers, national selectors, the national coach, John Buchanan, Australian team captains Ricky Ponting and Steve Waugh and the Australian Cricket Board (ACB).

"Having suffered a second major injury to my right shoulder has made me think about what I can do to prolong my playing career, particularly in Test cricket," he said.

"I have been pleased with my recovery since the injury on 15 December but I have now suffered two major injuries to the one area, I am 33 and I'm not getting any younger."

"I'm really looking forward to completing the recovery and hopefully helping the boys successfully defend the World Cup in February and March".

"My number one priority after the World Cup is playing Test cricket for Australia and I will not be doing anything to jeopardise that".

Chairman of selectors Trevor Hohns said selectors and Warne had talked through the long-term pressures of one-day international cricket.

"The selectors agree that removing those pressures should prolong his effectiveness as a Test bowler," Hohns said.

Warne is still hoping to force his way back into the side for the current VB Series finals between Australia and England.

Longer term, he plans to continue playing for Victoria and Hampshire, subject to constant medical monitoring of workload and fitness designed to ensure his ability to play Test cricket is not compromised.

Warne has played 191 one-day internationals for Australia since his debut against New Zealand in Auckland in 1992-93, including 11 as captain. He has taken 288 wickets at an average of 25.79 with best figures of 5/33. He has made 1016 runs at an average of 13.19, with a top score of 55. He has held 80 catches.

His last one-day international for Australia was against England at the MCG on December 15, during which he dislocated his right shoulder while fielding to his own bowling. He is the sixth highest wicket taker in one-day international history, and the highest wicket-taker for Australia.

He has played 107 Tests for Australia, taking 491 wickets at 25.71 since 1991-92 and is the second highest wicket taker in Test history behind West Indian Courtney Walsh, who took 519 wickets in his 132-Test career.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Warney goes out on a high note If anyone deserves to win another world cup its him

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Fradam Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 3:17 pm

Good idea Warney, Test Cricket is far more important than one day cricket (besides the world cup).

May the test career go on and on and on and on coz Warney, we need ya!!!!!!!!

Fradam Wrote This
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 4:20 pm

I agree that test cricket is far more important but yeah it's still sad to hear!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
bwphantom Virgo

It's Better to Burn Out Than to Fade Away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 7:49 pm

Sad to see this happen no matter how inevitable. I believe that you might see McGrath say the same thing. We have plenty of good young talent. Hogg is proving himself as an effective one day spinner. I don't think they will Warne much in SA. Only the real crucial games. However, he is such a champion that he will probably make himself available for every match.

If he looks after himself, he still has 4-5 god years of bowling at test cricket level. Smash those records champ.

If your not bleeding Black and White, you don't truly support Collingwood!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 2:45 am

Very Interesting to see that Warne was one step ahead of the selectors and has bowed out on his own terms Maybe Australian selectors in future will respect champions Warne didnt want to be treated in the same way as the Waugh brothers.

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Brown26 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 4:36 am

I think the selectors would pick Warne until ponting got too old to push Warnes wheel chair down his run up.

to suggest he was on the edge of being kicked out by the selectors is a bit off in my opinion - assuming he recovers from his shoulder injury. I think Warnes injury must've been worse than everyone thought, or maybe warne wants more family time, not sure. but I don't thikn he was in any threat from teh selectors!

Warne is the only spin bowler I have seen who is effective on pitches that don't spin at all. He is a master at line and length, a master of tactics and preperation. How many spinners could bowl at the death knock? Bowl the last over? Hogg is ok, but comes a very distant second to warne in terms of accuracy and potency.

I hope he plays for many years at test level to make it worth it, cause without Warney, ODI's have lost something special.

- Ben

Pies for Premiers 2002, 3, 4, 5, 6....
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:39 am

Well read the article in the Herald Sun and you will reach the same conclusion as myself

jlc

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:43 am

Is it possible for you to post it here, m8, so we can all read it. Thanks.

Donny.

GO THE MIGHTY WOODSMEN !! ALL THE WAY IN 2003 AND BEYOND !!!!
JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:47 am

I'll do it my way, says Warne
By JON PIERIK and ROBERT CRADDOCK
23jan03

SHANE Warne says the fear of being pushed into oblivion was a major reason for his decision to end his limited-overs international career after the World Cup.

A philosophical Warne last night revealed he wanted to go out on top of his game and didn't want to suffer the same fate as champions Steve and Mark Waugh, who were controversially dumped from the Australian one-day side last summer.
"It's an opportunity for me to go out on my terms," Warne said. "A year or so down the track I don't particularly want to get the tap on the shoulder.

"I am going out in my way, the way I wanted to go out and while I am still at the top of my game.

"And hopefully I can play my part in the VB Series and the World Cup."

Warne, the sixth-highest wicket-taker in one-day history with 288 scalps from 191 matches, hopes his decision will prolong his stellar Test career for another five to six years. If it does, Warne, who already has 491 wickets in 107 Tests, could ultimately break the 700-wicket barrier.

"It hasn't been a decision that's come lightly," Warne said. "The No.1 priority for me is to play Test cricket for as long as I can. Hopefully it can prolong my Test career and I can play five, six years."

Warne hinted in Kenya in September he was contemplating quitting the one-day game. But he fast-tracked this thought after dislocating his shoulder against England in the VB Series match at the MCG on December 15.

"It was brought forward when I was carried off, and going through all the rehab with my shoulder I've come to that decision," he said.

"It's brought home just the pressures of one-day cricket on my shoulder and my body.

"I think the rigours of one-day international cricket, throwing yourself around, I think to give me my best chance of playing Test cricket for a long time is if I give up one-day cricket.

"At the moment I still feel like I am at the top of my game and I could keep going in one-day cricket for a while.

"If you keep playing, something else is going to go wrong injury-wise and that could affect Tests."

The 33-year-old consulted one-day captain Ricky Ponting, coach John Buchanan, national selectors, the Australian Cricket Board, family and friends before deciding to call it quits after cricket's showpiece event in southern Africa beginning next month.

"It's a decision that's been respected by the selectors, the board," he said. "Everyone I have spoken to thinks it's a positive and smart decision and also a pretty gutsy one. We thought it was best to do it now rather than wait until the end of the World Cup.

"Obviously the dream would be to win the World Cup and then say that's it. But we didn't want to distract from the World Cup.

"I wanted to get it off my chest. I didn't want to go through the World Cup thinking about it. In some sort of small way it might help out the guys as well."

The Victorian captain said the thought of spending more time at home with wife Simone and their three children had also been a consideration and he looked forward to playing more with the Bushrangers and English county side Hampshire.

He will continue to play in the ING Cup for Victoria.

Warne said he couldn't think of a better way to retire than to retain the World Cup.

"The World Cup last time (in 1999) brought the best out in me. When the crunch was on, the team raised its level and played extremely well," he said. "When the pressure was on me with the ball, I thought I produced the goods."

Ponting said he could understand why Warne had opted to retire.

"As a captain, I'm a little bit disappointed. Losing one of the great players out of your side is obviously going to be a very hard spot to fill," he said.

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: