Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eurydice Dixon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

watt price tully wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
While it might have been highly inappropriate, spray painting on a piece of grass in a public park still appears less offensive to me than those who would choose to graffiti a permanent war memorial or an individuals headstone in a cemetery.

Why introduce an irrelevant comparison to this awful act rahter than adress the act itself? By way of doing so, you intentionally or unintentionally try to make allowance for the pretty f*cked behaviour.

It is sadly, another act of another pathetic male.

I agree with your comment, but I wonder if there is really a population difference between the propensity for evil between men and women. Men are certainly more violent, and it was 99% certain that this idiot would be male. But I’ve met many women with a capacity for doing harm in other ways. I suppose it depends on the way we define evil.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:19 am

I agree.

I know a few evil women! Sneaky, probably why I get along with blokes, I don’t like game players. Men are simple creatures. Probably a good thing that in general women are not as physically strong as men! Mental pain can do even more damage.

We been here before, is there good and evil, and how do the numbers compare for the sexes with mental illness?

And I still reckon shitty lazy parenting is the cause of a lot of grief today.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 am

If we defined evil as something like “desire to do harm”, then I agree that many women have such impulses and that they may not always manifest with as much physical immediacy. But that doesn’t necessarily indicate that this desire averages out to exist more or less equally between men and women. As a case in point, why do men dominate in nearly every category of crime perpetration, not just those that depend on physical strength? Shouldn’t we see an equal (or, indeed – because of their limited desire/ability to commit other crimes – greater) number of women vs men involved in crimes like fraud and blackmail if this hypothesis were true?

One possible explanation might be that people of each gender on average possess a roughly equivalent desire to harm, but that the (sociologically derived?) male tendency towards ambition (i.e. being ‘doers’) is what tends to bridge the gap between desire and action. But I’m not aware of any actual data supporting that hypothesis.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:41 pm

David wrote:
If we defined evil as something like “desire to do harm”, then I agree that many women have such impulses and that they may not always manifest with as much physical immediacy. But that doesn’t necessarily indicate that this desire averages out to exist more or less equally between men and women. As a case in point, why do men dominate in nearly every category of crime perpetration, not just those that depend on physical strength? Shouldn’t we see an equal (or, indeed – because of their limited desire/ability to commit other crimes – greater) number of women vs men involved in crimes like fraud and blackmail if this hypothesis were true?

One possible explanation might be that people of each gender on average possess a roughly equivalent desire to harm, but that the (sociologically derived?) male tendency towards ambition (i.e. being ‘doers’) is what tends to bridge the gap between desire and action. But I’m not aware of any actual data supporting that hypothesis.

Still to many down trodden women to catch up! On a brighter note today I played the player that led me to write such a dark grumpy post! It might have been a little evil, but it was for the greater good, and oh my God it felt soooo good!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 pm

David wrote:

Another is a simple chemical explanation. Men have significantly more Testosterone than women, women have significantly more estrogen than men. The effects of these chemicals on behaviour is fairly well documented.

it's by no means the only factor, there are many factors.

But, case in point, at my last Dr's appointment we discussed me losing some weight. She made a throw away comment during the conversation that was "Exercise will lose you weight, you have testosterone"

It's a circular argument as exercise can actually boost testosterone levels as well.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:59 pm

think positive wrote:
... On a brighter note today I played the player that led me to write such a dark grumpy post! It might have been a little evil, but it was for the greater good, and oh my God it felt soooo good!

Oh, you have to give us some details now. I am searching for the "rubbing hands together with glee" emoticon.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 pm

This is reasonably farked up.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/amateur-comedian-charged-over-offensive-graffiti-at-eurydice-dixon-s-memorial-20180704-p4zpir.html

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:40 pm

Oh a web page.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:47 pm

stui magpie wrote:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/amateur-comedian-charged-over-offensive-graffiti-at-eurydice-dixon-s-memorial-20180704-p4zpir.html

I agree. That tie is awful.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:47 pm

David wrote:
Surprised that they were able to track him down. Will be interesting to hear the motive and whether my theories were correct.

I wonder about that too. Anyone know more about how that was done?
(They seem to have put more effort into this than into usual nonviolent crimes, but does effort alone solve crimes?)
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:50 pm

Who, specifically?
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:59 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

I agree. That tie is awful.

As is the knot. Looks like a loose double straight, which is less wankerish than a full Windsor I suppose but still.......

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:09 pm

These are knots? I have someone do mine each day, for a modest fee.
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:

I'd be very interested in finding out how the police identified this guy.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:16 pm

Tsk Tsk,

Being able to tie a tie is an essential man skill.

Like being able to use power tools (and hand tools), change a tap washer, change a car tyre and repair almost anything using gaffer tape, WD40 and cable ties.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 8 of 14   

Jump to: