Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

"The Circle" can VC recipient.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
David wrote:
5150 wrote:
The panic merchant sponsers are dropping like flys. Now Jamaica Blue (a coffee or something?) has bailed.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/sponsors-ditch-circle-amid-dudroot-fallout-20120305-1uceo.html

In a statement today, Jamaica Blue's owner, Foodco Group, said it had axed it sponsorship of The Circle "after much deliberation".

"As Foodco has previously stated, we do not – in any way – endorse nor condone the offensive remarks broadcast on The Circle last week regarding SAS Corporal Roberts-Smith," the company said.

"We're grateful to our many customers who have contacted us via Facebook and other channels to express their strong feelings concerning Jamaica Blue's association with The Circle.

"Foodco's decision to end our partnership with The Circle was ultimately based on a range of factors – including the strong feedback of our Jamaica Blue customers."

Geewhiz. I hope people realise that, whatever their thoughts on Negus and Stynes' comments, this is an incredibly sinister outcome: essentially, corporate censorship. We're fast becoming a very thin-skinned society.

Thin skinned maybe, but I don't see a problem with companies choosing who to advertise with based on how that program or organisation acts publicly. That's the choice of the advertiser.

There's plenty of precedent.

Look at how much trouble MTR had in getting advertisers. Companies didn't want their product associated withe them.

TAC withdrew their sponsorship of Collingwood after an incident involving Sharod Wellingham.

Nothing new here.

You're right, it's their choice to be gutless

Oh what I would give for a company with the balls to stand up and say '**** you all'!
sq3 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:01 am

OEP wrote:
Gone from Cpl Roberts-Smith to WW2...this thread has it all.

Correct - maybe we should get back to the topic.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:41 am

Sure.

David wrote:
OEP wrote:
You mentioned in your previous post that the people Cpl Roberts-Smith "engaged" had family too and what considerations had been given regarding their deaths and the affect that would have on their family. Well they chose to become members of a group of people that have dedicated their lives to the repression of women via executions and amputations, terrorism, and they harboured Osama Bin Laden after 9/11.

Your feelings of injustice for these people is completely misplaced.

Don't know if you can be bothered to watch this, but it sheds light on who many of the so-called "Taliban insurgents" actually are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2rTyN6gOv0

I apologise for providing that link with no context – it's an hour-long discussion between Julian Assange and John Pilger about the leaked US embassy cables, so a lot of it isn't really relevant to this thread. What is relevant is this exchange, at about the 34:39 mark:

JA: Some of these events are, on the surface, disturbing. The highest kill-count event in Afghanistan killed 181 people, in a US operation led by Canada called Operation Medusa, in December 2006. Among that kill-count of 181, there was only one wounded. [The report] says no civilians were killed, and no captures. [...]

JP: Do they call these all 'Taliban'; the enemy?

JA: Yes. They're all called the enemy. [...] During that week they say they killed about 1000 Taliban; but actually, what happened is that this was in a region about 20k out of Kandahar, where there are a lot of vineyards. The government installed by US forces post the 2001 invasion had become extremely corrupt, and the local people had grown to support the Taliban in a united effort to clean out this government. Then, when the Western forces came in, these people - not just Taliban, although there do seem to have been Taliban there - the local population, were supportive; so, the men in the vineyards, the workers in the vineyards were killed along with these others. If you read the press reports at the time, some say it was 50/50 Taliban and local people - it's pretty hard to gauge from the on-the-ground reporting, but we look at events like this and we see something pretty disturbing: a lot of people killed in very little time using indiscriminate fire, and no investigation into 181 people being killed. [...]

JP: I suppose those doing the killing, I'm assuming, regard everyone as Taliban, or insurgents. So, who isn't?

JA: The pattern we see in Iraq and Afghanistan, the very clear pattern - and it's not just me who sees this, but other war reporters - is that anyone who's a man and dead is an insurgent. That's how they're always listed on reports. It's only after there's some investigation - usually stimulated by the press or competing military reporting - that there's then some kind of pull-down from that number. So, any man who is dead is insurgent or Taliban. Children, if their bodies are whole enough to see, are listed as children - so, not insurgents - and women can go either way.

I urge you to listen to the rest of this part of the interview, as it sheds a real light on the way these things are portrayed.

Last edited by David on Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks for telling me your taste in men. Kids are cool.
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:03 pm

I definitely see the need to show support for the military through expressions of public gratitude and respect as it's such a tough and stressful job we're asking people to do. At the same time, however, you can't support idiotic wasteful wars such as Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and claim to care about military personnel.

Did companies also pull ads from hawkish television stations whose pundits sanctioned needless military death, injury and psychiatric damage in Iraq and Afghanistan? Accountability is a two-edged sword and ought to be applied fairly.

sq3 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:29 pm

pietillidie wrote:
I definitely see the need to show support for the military through expressions of public gratitude and respect as it's such a tough and stressful job we're asking people to do. At the same time, however, you can't support idiotic wasteful wars such as Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan and claim to care about military personnel.

Did companies also pull ads from hawkish television stations whose pundits sanctioned needless military death, injury and psychiatric damage in Iraq and Afghanistan? Accountability is a two-edged sword and ought to be applied fairly.

Very true mate.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:01 pm

Nick - Pie Man wrote:

Oh what I would give for a company with the balls to stand up and say '**** you all'!

It would be good, I've seen some companies that have been particularly soft in dropping programs, but I guess having balls is bad for business.

The comments weren't as bad as I've heard from others, but they probably were going to backfire one way or another. All parties apologised, the man accepted it. I think that should be the end of that.

I think the abuse thrown around on their Facebook page is unnecessary. I don't think she should lose her job for the joke as some on that page have suggested, she probably should lose it for other reasons, but not this.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:56 pm

I don't believe that. Having balls can only be good for business. It puts the customers in their place. Dominate or be dominated
Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:10 pm

They are now reporting death threats agiant Yumi and now 3 sponsors have withdrawn support including Big 4 Holiday Parks.

It is certainly getting well out of control. Enough is enough.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:19 pm

The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:29 pm

David wrote:
The vocal minority are well and truly getting their way here, by the sounds of things. Bitch long and hard enough (on Facebook!) and the corporates will cave in eventually. Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this? What sort of precedent does that set?

I guess the Eurythimics were ahead of their time!

You can fool with your brother...

but don't mess with a missionary man!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-Q3cp3cp88
Nick - Pie Man 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:32 pm

David wrote:
Does anyone actually want The Circle pulled off air over this?

Yes, but not over this
5150 Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:42 pm

Member 7167 wrote:
They are now reporting death threats agiant Yumi and now 3 sponsors have withdrawn support including Big 4 Holiday Parks.

It is certainly getting well out of control. Enough is enough.

So what type of people are watching this show to create the sponsers to leave.

Swisse Vitamin eating, Jamaica Blue coffee drinking, Big 4 trailer trash!

I think The Circle is happy to get rid of these low class scum and get some ballsier sponsers on board like... Skoda, Kotex and Big Kev...
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:05 pm

The Prototype wrote:
Nick - Pie Man wrote:

It would be good, I've seen some companies that have been particularly soft in dropping programs, but I guess having balls is bad for business.

The comments weren't as bad as I've heard from others, but they probably were going to backfire one way or another. All parties apologised, the man accepted it. I think that should be the end of that.

I think the abuse thrown around on their Facebook page is unnecessary. I don't think she should lose her job for the joke as some on that page have suggested, she probably should lose it for other reasons, but not this.

For the companies it all depends on the demographic they're after.

You reckon booze or condom companies give a rats if they get complaints from Grannies? That's not their market.

If they get complaints from the consumers they want to keep about a program, they'll dump it faster than a mule in a Bali airport toilet

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:15 pm

stui magpie wrote:
For the companies it all depends on the demographic they're after.

You reckon booze or condom companies give a rats if they get complaints from Grannies? That's not their market.

If they get complaints from the consumers they want to keep about a program, they'll dump it faster than a mule in a Bali airport toilet

You raise a good point, I could have expanded on my point but you are right in what you are saying. I can see another reason for them to pull out, it does put their names out there more in the media, and could connect with more people as well.

There are some companies that could enjoy any press, that comes their way, I suppose it depends as you said their demographic.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24   

Jump to: