Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post match. Pies demolish Dees - All comments.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil Appleby wrote:
BTW Donny, what's with quoting AF points? Now that I know what they are I can push this a little more Very Happy.

Every time I go looking for stats, I notice Dream Team points and you seem to like the AF ranking.

Can you tell me how these two rankings differ and how they are arrived at?
Is one more reliable than the other? Does one gave more emphasis to accurate disposal or marks or goals scored?

Whilst I'm at it, which scoring system do the coaches look at?

Yes, Neil. I only include the AF points in my game summaries because they are, simply, a stat. I certainly don't see them as a table of best players, in order.

For the GB Medal, I voted Young on top (2nd. in AF points), Keeffe second (7th.), Pendles third (3rd.), Swanny fourth (1st) and Dwyer fifth (8th.).

I take all the stats I use in my match summaries from the AFL site. Last year, I included Dream Team points. They had a column for DT points, it's now for AF points. Maybe, it's just a re-naming of the same thing. (Perhaps some other Nick's member can extrapolate)

Also, in the AFL site, there are 'Advanced Stats' which include those finer points you mentioned - contested possessions, effective disposals, time on the ground etc.

I've no idea how the coaches arrive at their votes but I do know the umpires check the AFL site stats before giving their Brownlow votes.

Ps. Neil, I clicked on 'NAB AFL Dream Team' in the AFL Coaches' site and it re-directs to the AFL Fantasy Team.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy

Last edited by Donny on Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:47 pm

jackcass wrote:
MattyD wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
MattyD wrote:
Cloke - I know it is treacherous to even breathe this, but, I think he has very poor decision making. Let alone goal kicking ability.... very sorry to say. Yes, it was a dour game plan from Roos and a few of our boys had a bad day... but still something is amiss there.

A win is a win. Bring on the Bulldogs.

The season is starting to look very interesting

Very Happy

Disagree on Cloke, Matty; I thought he continued to show signs of getting back. His marking certainly was much stronger. And wasn't it nice to see him lead and have the ball delivered to his chest for a change? He needs to lead more often and do less of the out-muscling stuff.

He took seven marks and kicked two goals in a very low scoring game.
Yes, the chest mark was a rare sight.
I just noticed in a few games this year where his decision making under pressure was really poor. I guess that's true of lots of players especially under pressure. But seriously how long does it take to get into form? It's round 12.....

I think we (and supporters generally) make too many assumptions in ignorance. Scotty Burns in an interview on ABC suggested Cloke had had some injury issues early in the year and was working through them, even dropped a suggested knee issue... tendinitis? who knows... my point is we see these guys running around for a couple of hours during a game and make our judgements based on what we see. Just think we should be a little more forgiving as we never have the full story.

I agree about assumptions in ignorance, absolutely. I am sure we don't get told about all the injuries and niggles otherwise half the membership might drop off! haha yeah, perhaps I was a bit harsh on Cloke. He doesn't look injured to me though.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:50 pm

Great to see Young getting plenty of the ball & doing nice things with it. I also enjoyed seeing Seedsman's attacking run & carry, Frost gets that fist in with excellent timing & accuracy & Keeffe will gain plenty of confidence from that performance - Well done troops!

I hate getting too far ahead - particularly with such a young & inexperienced team - but we have the game this week against the Doggies to sharpen up for our first assault for the season against the Hawks.
Lets get busy!
GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:34 pm

As collingwood fans do we give up a crap about QB as the skiiers. To me it seemed there wasnt alot of pie fans there i went and was surround by try hard demon supporters
Lazza 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:57 pm

MattyD wrote:
I agree about assumptions in ignorance, absolutely. I am sure we don't get told about all the injuries and niggles otherwise half the membership might drop off! haha yeah, perhaps I was a bit harsh on Cloke. He doesn't look injured to me though.

I disagree. In my opinion, Cloke is still to play fully fit this season. He may only have niggles that wouldn't necessarily keep him out of a game but restricts him in some way. I can only hope that as it gets towards the finals, Cloke will get better as his slight injuries heal and his form and confidence builds up. We have yet to see the best of Cloke this season and my gut feeling is that it is not too far away.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:09 pm

GreekLunatic wrote:
As collingwood fans do we give up a crap about QB as the skiiers. To me it seemed there wasnt alot of pie fans there i went and was surround by try hard demon supporters

For Melbourne, this will be their biggest crowd of the year. For us, it was slightly below average at the 'G (our average is 70,000). So for them it's a big event.

didick 

didick

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:57 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

For Melbourne, this will be their biggest crowd of the year. For us, it was slightly below average at the 'G (our average is 70,000). So for them it's a big event.

When I was walking to the ground and once I got there I would have thought it was a Pies home game.

MattyD 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:05 pm

didick wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
GreekLunatic wrote:

When I was walking to the ground and once I got there I would have thought it was a Pies home game.

I agree. There were more Collingwood fans at the game, not a lot more, but definitely more.

And red stands out a lot more than black so that's why you notice them.

When Collingwood supporters wear white (like the cheer squad does now) we stand our more.

This was Melbourne's grand final and their fans were acting like it. We weren't. For us it was just a step towards another finals series.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:27 pm

IF Lyon, the Deees and Roos expect to get another 68 000 crowd like that next year, after bringing that pathetic paint drying negative shit to the table, utterly mind numbing boring, they can think again. Many there yesterday, would have sworn off going to future QB games, if that's what negativity Roos and his gang will dish up. I actually nodded off to sleep on the couch in the third qtr, just so mundane, and it wasn't the fault of the Pies, that I do know.!

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
jackcass Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:36 pm

MattyD wrote:
jackcass wrote:
MattyD wrote:
Neil Appleby wrote:
MattyD wrote:
Cloke - I know it is treacherous to even breathe this, but, I think he has very poor decision making. Let alone goal kicking ability.... very sorry to say. Yes, it was a dour game plan from Roos and a few of our boys had a bad day... but still something is amiss there.

A win is a win. Bring on the Bulldogs.

The season is starting to look very interesting

Very Happy

Disagree on Cloke, Matty; I thought he continued to show signs of getting back. His marking certainly was much stronger. And wasn't it nice to see him lead and have the ball delivered to his chest for a change? He needs to lead more often and do less of the out-muscling stuff.

He took seven marks and kicked two goals in a very low scoring game.
Yes, the chest mark was a rare sight.
I just noticed in a few games this year where his decision making under pressure was really poor. I guess that's true of lots of players especially under pressure. But seriously how long does it take to get into form? It's round 12.....

I think we (and supporters generally) make too many assumptions in ignorance. Scotty Burns in an interview on ABC suggested Cloke had had some injury issues early in the year and was working through them, even dropped a suggested knee issue... tendinitis? who knows... my point is we see these guys running around for a couple of hours during a game and make our judgements based on what we see. Just think we should be a little more forgiving as we never have the full story.

Might explain his improved form over the last few weeks if he's managed to get over a couple of niggles.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:01 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:

Unless I missed something, Ball failed to have an impact when he came on.

11 touches and 2 clearances. Not bad work for a quarter and a bit Wink.

FWIW, the radio commentary (SEN) was of the view during the match that he turned the game our way whenever he went on the ball.

Bad call by me obviously. Sometimes a player like Ball does his stuff but because he's doing it on the inside it doesn't always get noticed....not by me anyway. Apologies to Luke.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:10 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
IF Lyon, the Deees and Roos expect to get another 68 000 crowd like that next year, after bringing that pathetic paint drying negative shit to the table, utterly mind numbing boring, they can think again. Many there yesterday, would have sworn off going to future QB games, if that's what negativity Roos and his gang will dish up. I actually nodded off to sleep on the couch in the third qtr, just so mundane, and it wasn't the fault of the Pies, that I do know.!

I said in the pre-game forum that this fixture has bored me for years and that I vote to hand it to another club. I want my Monday public holiday back so i don;t have to engage in teh AFL on my day off! We Pies supporters have ANZAC Day ... one public holiday a year to watch our team is enough!

roar 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Agree, Raw Hammer. Really over this "blockbuster" and would be really happy for any other team to have it.
Beast 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:13 pm

T'was nice of Melbourne to let us work on the defensive set ups in match simulated conditions. The 4 points, no injuries, getting fitness into some of our blokes and covering the betting line were simply cherries on the cake.

And just a few thoughts.
Swanny and Beams didn't extend themselves and only lifted when it was needed. Pendles was outstanding in the first half.
Cloke is on struggle street and we're about to run out of excuses trying to justify his 2014 form.
Blair, Witts and Dwyer are our weakest links and should be phased out of the side at the business end.
Take away JT's 2 oof's and he had a decent game.
Keeffe continues to make those who rubbished him after the Adelaide game stupid.
Frosty and Langers continue to raise the bar.
Thought H played his best game of the year.
Fas had a shocker, seems to be one of was those players relying on confidence.
Grundy will be a genuine star of the comp once he gets a much better tank. Ditto Seeds.
Dasher is getting into the grove and was an awesome get for the Club.

Carn the Maggies.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:03 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

I said in the pre-game forum that this fixture has bored me for years and that I vote to hand it to another club. I want my Monday public holiday back so i don;t have to engage in teh AFL on my day off! We Pies supporters have ANZAC Day ... one public holiday a year to watch our team s enough!

Agreed, why not Melb v Adelaide on the QB day, build it up as a sort of interstate rivalry game, us v them, ala the big V of years ago, I really think its time we junked this junk game, Anzac day is fine for us. Idea

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10   

Jump to: