Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

PURA CUP

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:45 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, JLC, even though you don't really know it, you're right about Steve's decision. It wasn't exactly crazy but it did surprise me. The Blues needed an outright win and the Vics didn't. He played into their hands.

Had he declared earlier, with both teams still a chance to win outright, at least there was a chance for his team to win but by batting on, the only option for The Bushies was to grind it out for first innings points.

At close of play, NSW were 4/113 with Bradstreet 42 n.o. Haddin made 34 and Slats, 21. Inness took 3/27

Donny.

THE BOYS ARE BACK IN TOWN !!!!
Danzy Rocks!!! 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 3:47 pm

mrs taz - bring on tomorrow

DANNY FANS UNITE!

www.geocities.com/danzy_rocks30
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

I love you Chrissy Tarrant you rock!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 5:38 pm

Yeah mate I will see you there! I can't wait to see Slats again!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:38 am

Mrs Tarrant,
You mention only two, you left one out.
These players came across by themselves, to increase there Australian team selection chances, not as the refugees you have playing for victoria. How many vic born players were in the side?

COLLINGWOOD RULES no one else matters!!!!!!

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 6:10 am

Trippy Pie,
What's your problem with 'refugees', as you call them? Players like Arnberger, Mott and Rummans were not getting a game for their state and were not 'pinched' by Victoria. They came to another state to try their luck.

They became the good players they are because they had the courage to make the change, were determined to play cricket at a high level and have thrived on the encouragement and training they got in Victoria.

Bradman, Greg Chappell, AB, Thommo, Lillee, Miller, Lehmann, Siddons, Watson, Dan Marsh, Wilson, Williams, Spofforth, Jackson, Fleming and many more have played for more than their native state.

Should all the Collingwood footballers be native Victorians?

Donny.

[This message has been edited by MAGFAN8 (edited 09 February 2003).]
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:09 am

Magfan8,
Very true and valid points, but all I was trying to get across was, why does the vca import players without developing their own home grown players?
A short term fix can, as we have seen many times, does lead to long term problems.

If you remember state cricket was at it's best when Victoria and NSW were both at their very best.
The decline of the Victorian state team over the years worries me for the future of the game in general.

Yes you are right, players have been playing for different states (or football teams) since the beginning of the Sheffield Shield(remember that) over a hundred years ago, nothing new there as you stated but how can a state of Victorias size justify the ammount that played in this weeks pura cup?

Well done to the vics in gaining the 2 points.

Pity the pitch was a feather bed and denied the public a good game through to the end. Beyween the one in Tassie and the one at the G, I do not know what did more damage to the game.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:46 am

Welcome to the cricket forum, Trippy Pie, and thanks for such a rational and well written reply to my post.

The Bellerive wicket certainly didn't do any good for cricket but the MCG wicket produced some excellent cricket even though the teams weren't fighting out a thrilling outright finish on the last afternoon.

There were 5 centuries, 2 of them doubles, a wonderful bowling stint from Katich and some very courageous batting from Roach, Harwood and Lewis as the Vics overtook the huge NSW total.

And amongst this glut of runs we saw 8 good batsmen score 6 or less. Slater, Katich, Hodge (ducks), Bradstreet, Moss, Hussey, White and Mail.

And bear in mind, this was a four dayer. With NSW 3 wickets down and only 100 ahead, 1 more day could well have seen a great finish.

Donny.

Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:03 am

MAGFAN8,
Thank you for your welcome.
Judging by your reply you enjoy your cricket.
I agree their was some wonderful cricket played, but I do enjoy results.
Perhaps the captains of both sides upon realising that the pitch was a doddle could have both agreed to play for a result. I am surprised that the greatest captain our country has produced did not do this.
I also think that like my self you would prefer 5 day games instead of the current 4.

JLC Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:10 am

Yeah on 3AW there was a bit of debate at Hussey being chosen ahead of a local district cricketer who scored a double century and century the week before. His first name was Luke and surname Monohan or something i think.

I would match rather pick a local player than a "refugee" At the end of the day Victoria should be producing local players and developing them into potential players.

The one exception to this would be a wicket keeper as i understand their predicament as there is only one spot for them in the team.

jlc

Symonds picked on potential for the fifth year running ;)

Essendon 2000 premiers
2001 runners up
2002 fifth
2003 ????
The slide continues
MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:56 pm

I don't think I need to reply to you Trippy Pie as Donny said everything perfectly!

View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Trippy Pie Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 2:25 am

Mrs Tarrant,
Do you mean the post where he agreed with me.

MrsTarrant Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:47 am

Trippy Pie why are you getting smart with me for? I can't see where Donny agreed with you at all! He said and I quote "Thanks for such a rational and well written reply to my post" I don't think that means he agrees with everything you said. I understand what you are saying about Victoria having to produce more of it's own players o.k fair enough but criticising them the way you did is just not on. I think in the end you agreed more with Donny than he did with you.

Bartros Scorpio

THIS ONE TIME AT BAND CAMP

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 6:11 am

Okay I know have a question for everyone on here! I feel that D.Berry is the best keeper in the country the only reason why he hasnt played for austriala is because he cant bat.

So my question to you is, If berry could bat aswell as gilly you would you rather have berry or gilly?

On a personal I would take Berry, because i have never ever seen gilly take a leg side stupming off anybody?

Long Live the mite and power of
Shane Morwood (member of 1990 team,1988 Vic rep)
Donny Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 7:46 pm

Well, m8, if Berry could bat as well as Gilly, wouldn't you have them both in the team?

Donny.

Donny Aries

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 9:37 am

The Bushrangers sent The Bulls in at the Gabba and have them 5 down for 150 after 53 overs. Perren is batting well and is 71 n.o.

Moss has taken 2/9 and Inness, 2/25
--------------------------------------------
The Tassies Tigers are 6/181 against the Redbacks with Marsh 75 n.o. Rofe has 3/48 and Cleary, 3/57.
--------------------------------------------
NSW are no wicket for 46 at the WACA. Slats is 31 and Mail, 14

Donny.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Nick's Sports Bar All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: