Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:
An actual Brit?

You're an Aussie who lives there, and you're welcome to it.

Last I checked I was a British citizen from birth who permanently lives, works, votes and pays taxes in Great Britain and the UK Confused

Nothing I'm saying here is against Australia or reflects on you. I love both Australia and the UK, and as you know have a very strong affection for South Korea and Ireland. All have their strengths.

It's the clingy weirdo Tony Abbott-type Australians that unsettle people. Even more bizarrely, they're often the very same people who vociferously idolise the vile Donald Trump.

How's that for strange bedfellows? The dignified and devoted QE2, and the repugnant self-serving narcissist Donald Trump.

Everyone knows the fawning after recognition and security that drives this is infantile. It speaks to a very different motivation than that which underlies the justified admiration of QE2 for her devotion to public service, which everyone agrees upon.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:18 pm

I bet your fun at parties
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Abbie Chatfield, you low life.

She's a degenerate.

How so many people look up to this idiot is beyond me.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:23 pm

Sorry, I must have missed a meeting, I thought you were born and raised Victorian.

I hope you like it there, England is not a place I have any desire to visit let alone live.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 9:29 pm

Jezza wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Abbie Chatfield, you low life.

She's a degenerate.

How so many people look up to this idiot is beyond me.

‘Famous’ because she was on a dating show, no credibility just another pathetic wannabeee

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:06 pm

swoop42 wrote:
While I'd very much prefer to be a member of a Royal family than live in abject poverty I'd still prefer to be part of the majority that is neither of those two groups and live my life free from endless scrutiny and invasion of privacy.

In reality the Queen and her family are still just people and while they might be more famous and wealthy than most I sense people would be shocked that away from public view their family unit is filled with the same light and shade us our own, sometimes flawed, sometimes selfish, sometimes capable of much love and compassion.

For her family today her loss will be grieved every much we would do our own mother or grandmother and that in itself is enough reason to show a little respect.

While I'm no monarchist I'm also not so hate filled I have anything against a group of people who find themselves in a privileged but totally bizarre situation based on a birth right. While the presence of the Queen wasn't of major significance in my life, she has still been a presence throughout it and when you've reached an age your own grandmothers have long since gone she served as a reminder of them. In a strange way that provided a little comfort if only for the hope your own mother can live such a long and healthy life.

As for the talk that she and the Royal family have given nothing back for the privilege afforded to them or are a leech on the English taxpayer I can't agree.

The English Royal family are synonymous with how the the wider world views the United Kingdom, their continued status when other European monarchies have faded from view would generate vast tourism dollars every year as people flock to landmarks where they can see a glimpse of all the history, pomp and ceremony attached to the Royals. Then of course there would be the countless memorabilia sold (most unofficial) each year that would generate extra income for a range of retailers big and small.

Personally I feel they more than pay their way.

As for not giving back that doesn't seem fair or remotely correct.

While I'm clearly no expert on these matters did she not give back when traveling to many Commonwealth countries which in the days before airliners would have been long journeys by cruise ship, attending God only knows how many official engagements across the decades, meeting heads of state, bestowing the Royal title to important institutions like hospitals or using her status to provide a comforting voice in difficult times, push a charitable cause or voice her concerns privately to people in power.

The fact that she continued to do many of those things well in to her 90's and with failing health (hell she only met with the new British PM a couple of days ago) shows very much how seriously she viewed service to country.

May she rest in peace.

Great post, Swoop.

Very classy and well summarised.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:14 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Sorry, I must have missed a meeting, I thought you were born and raised Victorian.

I hope you like it there, England is not a place I have any desire to visit let alone live.

I was born in Melbourne, but I've always been a British citizen by descent and had one eye on coming here eventually. So after leaving South Korea that's what I did, with some time in Ireland in between. I can't see us moving again now, though.

I just don't have the stomach to start as a newbie in another country now, especially given we've worked so hard to get our careers on track.

It takes too long to settle properly somewhere, which is why people who want to do this kind of thing need to start young. Flitting from place to place is useless in my experience, because it takes five or so years to get the lay of the land.

But I don't imagine I'm an Aussie in Britain, no. I used to call myself an Aussie Brit, but that's evolved into being a Brit who was born in Australia. I never voted in the Brexit referendum because I felt I didn't own it, even though obviously I opposed Brexit. But I sure as hell would now, just as I feel comfortable writing on UK business, policy and the economy.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:50 pm

stui magpie wrote:
An actual Brit?

You're an Aussie who lives there, and you're welcome to it.

So yes he’s an Aussie who lives in England, just as I’m a Pom who lives in Australia - with dual citizenship!

Your correct Stu!

You can call yourself what ever you want, you can take on another countries citizenship, but where you are born is where you will always have been born!

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:51 pm

Jezza wrote:
swoop42 wrote:
While I'd very much prefer to be a member of a Royal family than live in abject poverty I'd still prefer to be part of the majority that is neither of those two groups and live my life free from endless scrutiny and invasion of privacy.

In reality the Queen and her family are still just people and while they might be more famous and wealthy than most I sense people would be shocked that away from public view their family unit is filled with the same light and shade us our own, sometimes flawed, sometimes selfish, sometimes capable of much love and compassion.

For her family today her loss will be grieved every much we would do our own mother or grandmother and that in itself is enough reason to show a little respect.

While I'm no monarchist I'm also not so hate filled I have anything against a group of people who find themselves in a privileged but totally bizarre situation based on a birth right. While the presence of the Queen wasn't of major significance in my life, she has still been a presence throughout it and when you've reached an age your own grandmothers have long since gone she served as a reminder of them. In a strange way that provided a little comfort if only for the hope your own mother can live such a long and healthy life.

As for the talk that she and the Royal family have given nothing back for the privilege afforded to them or are a leech on the English taxpayer I can't agree.

The English Royal family are synonymous with how the the wider world views the United Kingdom, their continued status when other European monarchies have faded from view would generate vast tourism dollars every year as people flock to landmarks where they can see a glimpse of all the history, pomp and ceremony attached to the Royals. Then of course there would be the countless memorabilia sold (most unofficial) each year that would generate extra income for a range of retailers big and small.

Personally I feel they more than pay their way.

As for not giving back that doesn't seem fair or remotely correct.

While I'm clearly no expert on these matters did she not give back when traveling to many Commonwealth countries which in the days before airliners would have been long journeys by cruise ship, attending God only knows how many official engagements across the decades, meeting heads of state, bestowing the Royal title to important institutions like hospitals or using her status to provide a comforting voice in difficult times, push a charitable cause or voice her concerns privately to people in power.

The fact that she continued to do many of those things well in to her 90's and with failing health (hell she only met with the new British PM a couple of days ago) shows very much how seriously she viewed service to country.

May she rest in peace.

Great post, Swoop.

Very classy and well summarised.

Agree, very classy and respectful.

Judging by the crowds at Buckingham palace, and listening to the people, the monarchy is far from dead.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:21 am

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
I think that's a fair analysis, Swoop. Personally, I hold no antipathy towards her or her family members; I understand her presence brought comfort and meaning to some people's lives and that's all to the good, but I also find attempts today to put her on a pedestal as some great person a bit overwrought and insincere. Her main achievement in life really was just simply existing. That's not a high bar to meet, and when I think of all the people in the world who toil away quietly helping others without receiving a fraction of the plaudits, it does all seem a bit offensive. I also, for what it's worth, find the intrusive way that she and her family members have been treated by the tabloids and the gossip magazines to be abominable and dehumanising, and find some of the dancing on her grave today by her more humourless critics to be tacky and opportunistic.

The bottom line for me is that who is in the monarchy is a far less important consideration than the fact that the monarchy itself is a terribly outdated institution and I'm not sure I can agree that the industry surrounding it really justifies the public expense of maintaining it. But that really should be a matter for the British people to decide for themselves; there can be no doubt that we here in Australia should have long since cut ties, and really none of this should be any of our business.

So I do hope that this post-Elizabeth push for a republic that we've been promised does come to pass. It's time.

Show some farking respect.

Like Abbie Chatfield who decides now is time to comment about Charles???

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.

I have to say this is pretty funny coming from one of the most consistently irreverent posters on the site (and I don't mean that as a criticism). Anyway, I'll pass thanks. Laughing

I haven't the first clue who this Abbie Chatfield person is, but I googled the horrible thing she's supposed to have said and this pretty much sums it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBCcM6GVLOU

This is all such a tired and predictable script, really – the pious performative mourning going hand in hand with aggressive policing of any non-conformist who steps out of line. I get tired of culture wars and the way they play out on this and every other topic, but thank god for dissent actually being possible. Thank god, too, that we live in a country where "showing respect" is actually an option and something you can be sincere about either way, rather than us all being forced into North Korean style weeping and gnashing of teeth.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:41 am

^My favourite bit was being told what my identity is because, well, because Jesus said you have to draw the line somewhere or life would devolve into anarchy, despite being a British citizen living here, working here, voting here, paying taxes here, being settled here, having no thought of going anywhere else, and being considered a Brit by people here culturally, social, legally and in every other possible way conceivable Laughing

You could almost hear people's heads explode when I said I'm a Brit. But, but, the rules! What about the rules? What if boat people decide they're Aussies when they are mere permanently settled Australian citizens who live, work, study, pay tax, vote and partake in everyday life here? Laughing

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:27 am

Pompous arse

Yep that’s a truly British thing

roar 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:33 am

What'sinaname wrote:

This is NOT the time to discuss you thoughts on a republic.

It is NOT your call whether it is the time or not.

roar 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:36 am

pietillidie wrote:
As an actual Brit, let me break to you: locals love Australia but are nauseated by clingy Australians.

Can't say I blame them. It's beyond cringeworthy.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:52 am

i bet they disapprove of people who are not actually British born passing themselves off as British too! Thats a global thing. Clingy Aussie! what exactly does that look like? i cant think of anyone that describes!

judging by the crowds at the Palace and elsewhere, i doubt the Royals are finished, yes of course you get the squeaky wheels chiming off, whats new about that? they dont take action just bitch. people who seem to buck systems for the sake of it, but still take advantage of them.

As for the Republic, take a vote, whatever, it wont change whats in the hearts of people who believe in, or love, the Monachy.

I'm not a fan of his but i liked Kind Charle's speach.

The Queen is Dead, long Live the King.

cheers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 92, 93, 94 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 93 of 100   

Jump to: