Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

St Kilda still trying to top up their list...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DaVe86 Scorpio

Man of Steele

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:37 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

gamble is a decent pick up because they need a defensive forward who can actually trouble his opponent. Eddy and McQualter defended but had no attack. At least Gamble can be dangerous.

But Polo is a shocking decision. They already have a few of his type. Way better to get games into Steven and Armitage.

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:01 pm

Who would you rather... Polo or Eddy?

Geez, if they lost Goddard, they'd be lucky to win 10 games. He carries that team.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:32 pm

Hmm Eddy... 2010 regular first teamer. Participant in both Grand Finals. Yet would anyone bat an eyelid if he could not find a team willing to take him next year? I know I wouldn't.
Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:43 pm

Polo is about as relevant to St Kilda's fortunes as Anthony Corrie was to ours, and he cost them even less. He may play a role in the team, maybe not, but at pick number 108 it's nowhere near the big deal people are making of it in my opinion. The Andrew Lovett debacle last year was a far greater mistake IMO and may well have cost them a flag.

It's easy to laugh at St Kilda, and easier still to forget that if the ball had wobbled a different way late in the final quarter of the first grand final, they'd have won a premiership and we'd be the ones still bleeding. They're actually not that far off the pace. Sure, they have a pretty ordinary last half-dozen in their team, but they're hardly in rebuilding mode yet - they've got some of the best players in the competition and one of them, Lenny Hayes, is 31. Obviously they are trying to sneak a premiership before their window completely closes, as they should.

Polo's not a great player, but he's a bit of insurance, and does anyone really think pick number 108 would have broken into their side next year? Pretty unlikely.

The Prototype Virgo

Paint my face with a good-for-nothin smile.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:48 pm

You never know Polo might come out and be a better player, probably never be a champion player, but might be serviceable if needed.

But still, a big risk by the Saints.

https://www.facebook.com/davehardingphotography
https://www.facebook.com/Davage
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:04 pm

Risk? Sure it's a risk. A massive great risk! Hell, they might have piissed that cruically important Pick 92 right up against the wall? Shocked

But I agree with your main point, Prototype - Polo has played some good football here and there - notably against us! - and who is to say that he won't turn over a new leaf at a new club with a different coach and become a useful contributor?

Mind you, if Dean Polo is the biggest threat they can muster next year, I don't exactly think the likes of Collingwood, Freo, Hawthorn, Geelong and Footscray are going to have too much to worry about.

Daicos Mullets 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:58 pm

Kingswood wrote:
wtf does lyon think he is getting at with this sort of comment??

Quote:

Asked how Polo would get a game for the Saints when he wasn't able to break into the Richmond line-up, Lyon said: "That's a simple analysis but you need to scratch a little deeper."

"You can see with (Collingwood's Brent) Macaffer and those types that if you get players that can play to your game plan, which I think Polo can, you can really grow."

-----

god this guy is a tool.

That's an extremely unfair comparison for Macaffer.

3RRR

The Pies are back at Vic Park!
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:11 pm

BBHS wrote:
You need some young super talented kids to win a flag. Not a bunch of has beens. I'm happy they are going down this path again.

So am I. Wink Laughing
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:15 pm

Kingswood wrote:
wtf does lyon think he is getting at with this sort of comment??

Quote:

Asked how Polo would get a game for the Saints when he wasn't able to break into the Richmond line-up, Lyon said: "That's a simple analysis but you need to scratch a little deeper."

"You can see with (Collingwood's Brent) Macaffer and those types that if you get players that can play to your game plan, which I think Polo can, you can really grow."

-----

god this guy is a tool.

WTF? Shocked The Caff can play. Razz Laughing

Tannin wrote:
Errr ... Mr Lyon, Sir? Ummm ... I don't really want to be the one that has to say this, but .. er ... well, it's like this .... Brent Macaffer is a very disciplined young footballer with a huge talent who forced his way into a premership team, displacing genuine stars like Paul Medhurst to do it, while your boy is a proven dud who couldn't get a game with one of the wooden spoon contenders.

Couldn't have said it better myself Tannin.

They're a basket case St Kilda. A complete basket case. Laughing
jack_spain Aries

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:23 pm

Pied Piper wrote:

It's easy to laugh at St Kilda, and easier still to forget that if the ball had wobbled a different way late in the final quarter of the first grand final, they'd have won a premiership and we'd be the ones still bleeding.

But it didn't and we're not. Razz

No sympathy for the Linton Street mob from me. Let's kick them while they're down I say. Do you agree Nick the Pieman? Wink
Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Pied Piper wrote:
It's easy to laugh at St Kilda, and easier still to forget that if the ball had wobbled a different way late in the final quarter of the first grand final, they'd have won a premiership and we'd be the ones still bleeding.

Jeeze I get tired of this rubbish argument. I expect better from you, Piper.

This is one of those ridiculous myths that just go and go forever. Yes, sure, if, but the only damn reason the ball was anywhere near Milne in the first place was because it took a very weird bounce indeed to negative Ben Johnson's comprehensive outpositioning of the St Vomirt player. The second weird bounce (away from Milne) simply balanced things up again.

Further, they did not deserve to be anywhere near that close to us. The only reason they were was that our guys lost their nerve and took their feet off the pedal. If they had fluked a win, it would have been a genuine undeserving win against the form line - they would have pinched it, same as we would have pinched one in 2003 if we had somehow managed to stumble over the line against the vastly superior line-up of the salary-cap cheating Bears. And if we are going to talk very small chance items that influenced the outcome of the season, then we had better rewind back to the first final they played when Geelong beat them by a goal, only to have the score reversed in a very controversial umpiring decision.

The 2010 Grand Final was unjust. No, not because the wrong team won it - we were the best side for the year and worthy winners - but because the wrong team were runners-up - St Vomit sneaked in by a fluke against Geelong and it should always have been a match between the best two sides in the comp that year - Collingwood and Geelong.

But that's footy - you never know what flavour you're going to get until you open the ball. Or bounce the chocolate. Or something.

FlagPie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:28 pm

Gamble and Polo.. well it's no Jolly and Ball that's for sure Smile
FlagPie 

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:29 pm

Pied Piper wrote:

It wasn't the wobble, it was Milne playing it safe and not attacking the ball.

Pied Piper Aries

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:09 am

Tannin wrote:
Pied Piper wrote:

Jeeze I get tired of this rubbish argument. I expect better from you, Piper.

This is one of those ridiculous myths that just go and go forever. Yes, sure, if, but the only damn reason the ball was anywhere near Milne in the first place was because it took a very weird bounce indeed to negative Ben Johnson's comprehensive outpositioning of the St Vomirt player. The second weird bounce (away from Milne) simply balanced things up again.

Further, they did not deserve to be anywhere near that close to us. The only reason they were was that our guys lost their nerve and took their feet off the pedal. If they had fluked a win, it would have been a genuine undeserving win against the form line - they would have pinched it, same as we would have pinched one in 2003 if we had somehow managed to stumble over the line against the vastly superior line-up of the salary-cap cheating Bears. And if we are going to talk very small chance items that influenced the outcome of the season, then we had better rewind back to the first final they played when Geelong beat them by a goal, only to have the score reversed in a very controversial umpiring decision.

The 2010 Grand Final was unjust. No, not because the wrong team won it - we were the best side for the year and worthy winners - but because the wrong team were runners-up - St Vomit sneaked in by a fluke against Geelong and it should always have been a match between the best two sides in the comp that year - Collingwood and Geelong.

But that's footy - you never know what flavour you're going to get until you open the ball. Or bounce the chocolate. Or something.

There you go, I said something you disagreed with! Let's have a ding-dong!

PP: Is this the right room for an argument?
Tannin: I've told you once.
PP: No you didn't.
Tannin: Yes I did! (etc) Laughing

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:14 am

Can you do me a small favour mate?

Just run my side of the argument for me till morning? I'm going to bed, but I'm sure that you can manage to play my role satisfactorily. If in doubt, just rant, spray, and wave your arms around in a slightly lunatic fashion. That's what I always do and it seems to work OK for me. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6   

Jump to: