Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The Tom Hafey Cup

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

We should play for the Tom Hafey Cup
Yes
68%
 68%  [ 22 ]
No
31%
 31%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 32

GreekLunatic 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

we play for the dick pratt cup he was a crim. i like the idea of the statue that both us and richmond pay for
Stupied 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 4:54 pm

David wrote:
Stupied wrote:
David wrote:
How about a 'Stunning' Steve McKee certificate?

How about stop being a cock?

Sorry, I wasn't aware that joking about trophies was taboo (for the record, there's a big difference between disrespecting the dead and making fun of those demanding their immediate canonisation).

Anyway, I appreciate your good sense of humour.

It's a thread about honoring a guy who has played a major part in both pies and tigers history, who was highly respected across the entire football community. There are few more deserving in AFL history of being honored.

You aren't disrespecting the dead, but you are disrespecting everyone who has been saddened/upset by his passing. It says a lot about you that you feel the need to be a smartarse in this type of thread, and even more that you would think that nobody should mind that you're doing it.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Just give a medal named after him for best on ground v tigers, thatd be adequate.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Yeah, I'm with the "No to the Cup, yes to the medal" crowd.

But sometimes these medals get forgotten about.

i.e.:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jason_McCartney_Medal

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:01 pm

It had slipped my mind that Tom also coached Geelong and Sydney. They too have a claim to his memory. So how about this: all four Hafey sides play for the Tom Hafey Cup. It starts with Richmond v Collingwood, the winner holds the cup (say it's us) and defends it next time they play any of the other three. Geelong beat us, the cup passes to Geelong. If the Swans beat the Cats, the cup goes up to Sydney until the next time we go up there and take back from them. And so on. It would be a unique competition within the competition.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:05 pm

i'd rather see a statue at the g or near punt rd oval.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:28 pm

Stupied wrote:
David wrote:
Stupied wrote:
David wrote:
How about a 'Stunning' Steve McKee certificate?

How about stop being a cock?

Sorry, I wasn't aware that joking about trophies was taboo (for the record, there's a big difference between disrespecting the dead and making fun of those demanding their immediate canonisation).

Anyway, I appreciate your good sense of humour.

It's a thread about honoring a guy who has played a major part in both pies and tigers history, who was highly respected across the entire football community. There are few more deserving in AFL history of being honored.

You aren't disrespecting the dead, but you are disrespecting everyone who has been saddened/upset by his passing. It says a lot about you that you feel the need to be a smartarse in this type of thread, and even more that you would think that nobody should mind that you're doing it.

yep, I have to say when I read that I arced up. I used to go to every game when Tommy coached, including catching a train to the Sunday Commodore cup matches (i think that's what they were called) and Tommy would always be there, in his T Shirt. he always had a smile and a Hello, he was an absolute legend and just a top bloke.

when the Pies sacked him, I almost switched to Geeeelong, the team I now despise most. I also cant imagine switching teams now!! I was so hurt for Tommy. David your too young to remember, but I remember it all. those painful losses in the Grand finals. (i was at 3 of em) the recriminations, and the dreaded collywobbles. a little respect for those of us who are ancient enough to still feel the pain would be appreciated.

Cancer is a bitch, and has taken too many that I care about. its too raw for jokes yet, for me any way, I cried last night, and I cried again tonight. and ill damn well cry again when the footy show does its tribute.

and I say yes to a cup or a medal.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:29 pm

John Wren wrote:
i'd rather see a statue at the g or near punt rd oval.
at the G would be great.

how many player coaches are still loved by all the teams they were involved in? ive personally never heard anyone say a bad word about him.

that would be truly fitting.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:30 pm

swoop42 wrote:
To be honest I'd rather just see Richmond and Collingwood come together to pay for a bronzed statue of Hafey to be displayed on the MCG side of punt road oval which people could admire on the main walkway from Richmond station to the G.

excellant

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:37 pm

We have so many cups and medals that they begin to lose any meaning. We play for the four points, the cups and medals aren't really honoured. Do we care about any that we have now, other than the Anzac Medal? I know the Archer-Hird medal was scrapped this year, because Archer felt no-one cared about it.

So I'm probably with those who'd prefer we help work towards a statue.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:54 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
We have so many cups and medals that they begin to lose any meaning. We play for the four points, the cups and medals aren't really honoured. Do we care about any that we have now, other than the Anzac Medal? I know the Archer-Hird medal was scrapped this year, because Archer felt no-one cared about it.
So I'm probably with those who'd prefer we help work towards a statue.

im thinking it was more than that.

I also think a statue would be far more fitting.

love the Lou Richards one, great it was finished while hes still around.

sixpoints 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:04 pm

swoop42 wrote:
To be honest I'd rather just see Richmond and Collingwood come together to pay for a bronzed statue of Hafey to be displayed on the MCG side of punt road oval which people could admire on the main walkway from Richmond station to the G.

That's perfect.
I'm sure our club would be honoured to contribute. But Tom was a Tiger, and having the statue down at Punt Road would be the right thing.
Flashman 

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:07 pm

I like the statue idea just outside Punt Road, funded by equally by the Pies the Tigers, Geelong and Sydney.

He may have got the flags at Richmond but he did great things at each club and should be recognized for his efforts and contributions thus.

And David you misread the mood of some of the supporters and whilst your post wasn't malicious in any way it made you come across as a bit of a twat (though we all can manage that on here on occasion).
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:47 pm

sixpoints wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

That's perfect.
I'm sure our club would be honoured to contribute. But Tom was a Tiger, and having the statue down at Punt Road would be the right thing.

I think that Collingwood should make some sort of gesture, but as you say he was a tiger and we should let Richmond well and truly take the lead and respect whatever they want to do to honour the man.

I still reckon some sort of in-house coaches award named in his honour and handed out on Copeland night would be very fitting too.

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 1:09 am

Perhaps I misread the mood, but I do mean what I said about the medal being unnecessary and a bit of a silly idea (no disrespect to Tannin or anybody else). A statue outside Punt Road seems like a much more sensible idea.

As for Hafey, perhaps my age does come into it here. To me he's just another of these elder statesmen of the game who I suppose has the Collingwood connection because of coaching us in the late '70s. I'm vaguely aware of his exploits as player and coach, but no, I don't feel any sense of personal grief at his passing. Apologies if you do and you felt that I was too cavalier about it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: