Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Goal kicking - Pies players showing benefits of coaching

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 1:04 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Once or twice, they had to roll it back when he hit the post. Another time, as I remember it, he had a kick from such a tight angle that the ball literally got caught between the goalposts on the way through. Wink

You and I are both fans of McKenna, PnC but I wonder whether we should really plan our goal-kicking strategy around trying to recruit someone who is the equal of the best shot for goal who ever walked the earth?

Interestingly, both Lockett and Hudson bettered McKenna for conversion ratio - Lockett goaled from about 70% of his shots, Hudson from 69% and McKenna from about 65%. Yet I, too, remember Macca as the greatest set shot I ever saw. I think the reason is that Mckenna took many more shots from a distance,and on difficult angles, because his style of play was very different. Lockett relied on aerial power, and Hudson on body work and balance. As a result, both tended to shoot from in front of goal and often from close in (esp Hudson). McKenna's play was built on fast leads, often toward the flank and nearly always 30m+ out from goal. So he often had to slot tight shots from 45m plus. Of course, that is just my theory, and it will probably remain unproven, since there is no data about where exactly he kicked his goals from, compared to the other two. Perhaps he was not quite as great a shot as we remember - but I think he was.

It's an interesting example of how statistics have to be treated carefully.

Correct weight Mugwump. Hudson and Plugger had most of their shots from close to goal, whereas McKenna often used to lead out fast and mark on his chest 40 -50 metres from goal. Without doubt there has been no better kick of the drop punt than McKenna.
John Wren Virgo

"Look after the game. It means so much to so many."

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:06 pm

dicko might want to work with a few others going by tonight's efforts.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:22 pm

John Wren wrote:
dicko might want to work with a few others going by tonight's efforts.

I should've seen the gigantic moz coming. Smile
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Sack Dixon. Mad Wink Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: