Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Melbourne makes offer for Elliot

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:06 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
The article says the offer on the table is two years.

"At least" 2 years

inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:21 pm

Dermie made a good point today that Clubs with an over-supply of the same "asset" it can ultimately be the best outcome for the holding club. In the Pies case we have:

* DeGoey
* WHE
* Stevo
* Steele
* Thomas

as somewhat similar forwards. If we can snag a flag with him this year, get a DeGoey back next year and with Elliott rising 28 next year, it may not be the worst outcome for our overall list Management.

Re-contracting Moore, Grundy, DeGoey etc.. whom are all under 25 years, maybe facilitated more easily if Elliott was to depart. Again, not the overall preference but maybe a pragmatic one. Can't see him leaving for less than a 3 year deal at $600,000+ and can't see the Pies offering more than 2 years at $400,000.

A Dees offer like that via Free Agency rules may lead to a first round draft pick which are always helpful.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:43 pm

^ ^ ^

Possibly but with the elite quality of Pendlebury, Sidey ( and Beams ) a lot closer to the end than the beginning, I would think Collingwood would be looking to get DeGoey and Stephenson much further up the ground as mids.

You don’t set out or plan to invest top 10 picks in stay at home small forwards. Both DeGoey and Stephenson have the quality to fill those big shoes.
As for Elliot, as long as we see ourselves in the current “ window “, I don’t want Elliot playing anywhere but Collingwood
buzzlightyear 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:49 pm

We don't have a first round pick this year, so any compensation pick for a compelling deal should get us a genuine first round pick.

My initial reaction was f..k off Melbourne, but it could be softened if we win the GF

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:02 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Swap for Petracca

Jamie's a free agent so no swap needed.

I could understand Elliott wanting more security as he's had a tough run of it. If the Dees are offering more money but not more years, I think he'd likely stay unless the salary was significantly higher.

Don't see a major risk of him leaving unless he's squeezed out due to other signings/re-signings. Any club would be irresponsible to offer him a long or large contract given his history.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:19 am

IF anything just adds to his incentive to do well this year, althogh hard to imagine him being mroe motivated than last game.
Coz that would improve his negotiating position if he plays really well in the finals and good luck to him, gotta get the bickies while you can in that career. Al;so fi we did lose him after he had a great finals campaign it would increase what we potentially get in exchange, potentially at least a 1st round pick for a (so far) very fragile player.
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:25 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Swap for Petracca

Jamie's a free agent so no swap needed.

I could understand Elliott wanting more security as he's had a tough run of it. If the Dees are offering more money but not more years, I think he'd likely stay unless the salary was significantly higher.

Don't see a major risk of him leaving unless he's squeezed out due to other signings/re-signings. Any club would be irresponsible to offer him a long or large contract given his history.

Don't clubs still trade for free agents, so they will not have to just hope to get him at the
draft? IT would suck if after all we have put into him we get nothing in trade - winning the ship this year would make it all worthwhile though.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:46 am

Johnno75 wrote:
Apparently we are offering 2 years to Billy. Melbourne also offering 2 years on more money. Hopefully a little bit more coin will make no difference and he stays.

i suspect there will be a 10% discount that will be acceptable to Jamie as a thank you for all the injury time.

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:00 am

How many top of top of the tree free agents can the dreamons obtain? It seems all big name potential free agents are linked there and then it's deal done!
It's clubs like Melbourne who can't develop their own, who then try to buy their way into premierships really must have an identity crisis. Piss off Melbourne fc you fickle bunch of wankers.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:05 am

Are we in the off season player hunt and are any of our targets known

A tall defender or forward or other

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:59 am

JDG knocked back a big offer a while back and that’s how I see Billy doing same
Kid was born with Black and White blood

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:09 am

Melbourne wasn't interested all year, but as soon as he's back on the park and playing well (first final), they throw the money around. And they do it a week out from our prelim. It's shit and they should have waited until after the GF. Yeah, clubs talk to opposition players all through the year -- but that's the home and away season, not the finals. We need to be 100% focused on the big prize.

On the plus side, if Billy wants more security and we can get a decent draft pick because of his recent form, so be it
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:28 am

I see this as a positive. It would be a big morale boost for Billy and his confidence will grow with these talks. He is a Pies player and I believe he will remain so, repaying the faith we displayed in him through a pretty horrid injury period.
This will be a positive. Just watch Billy excel in front of the big crowd next week!
Thanks, Melbourne!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:04 pm

I suspect that, in light of his injury profile over the past few years, Collingwood have only offered Billy a short and moderate contract, knowing also that they need salary space to keep Grundy, JDG and Darcy.

Billy will no doubt be very tempted by a biggish offer from the Dees, knowing that he probably only has 3 years left of his career.

I hope he stays, but I wouldn't hold it against him if he accepted a super offer from elsewhere.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 1:09 pm

He will never have success at the Snow bunnies, ever, only big crowd will be on the QB game, before they all flee to the snowfields. Hope he stays, be a Pie for life.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: