Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Favourite year apart from 1990 and 2010

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iamsam Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:47 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the 2007 team. Beating Sydney, then the reigning premiers over in the West, and then getting within a kick off Geelong.

It was a mixture of the old and the new. Buckley, Clement, O'bree, Wakelin, Burns and then Shaw, Daisy, Pendles, Cloke, Swan, Marty Clarke and Sean Russling.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:30 pm

That’s the season I started to regularly attend again, it was good
K 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:37 pm

think positive wrote:
1990 was THE best day of my LIFE!!!

Just don't let hubby know! (Or Junior, but I guess she'd understand.)
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2020 1:57 pm

any year that didn't end in a final
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:49 am

think positive wrote:
1990 was THE best day of my LIFE!!!

I'm with ya there boss. It will be very hard to top that one for me too.
Was certainly a big reward for effort, perseverance and patience.

So to other non flag years, and there are a few to choose from sadly....

Many have mentioned 2001 being the genesis for the 2002 campaign, even so, the first 5 rounds of 2000 were just off the charts too, where we won as many games as we did in the entire 1999, with numerous honorable losses.

1991 was a rollercoaster too, falling just short of the new final 6 as it was then.
1992 was a great year, but ultimately wasted against St.Vomit in the rain.

But I feel the seasons of 1986/1987/1988 laid the foundations for 1990.
So much exciting football in 1986 after a torrid start, with BT at full forward getting lace-out delivery from our midfield, and just missing the five.
Wes Fellowes wins the Copeland, yet misses selection in round 1, 1987.

So many retirements and injuries leaving that list decimated going into 1987, I went to most games that year, expecting to lose, but merely wanting to see 4 quarters of effort, and the player progress. In hindsight, Craig Starcevich was the shining light, along with Michael Christian.
Millane would torment many sides in honorable losses, and go on to win his only Copeland trophy.

1988 was a quantum leap year, boom new recruits in Barwick, Hawke and a kid named Wright from Tassie. Massive improvement in size, fitness and skill across the list, minimal injuries apart from Atkins' knee reco. Honorable but disappointing straight-sets finals losses end this promising campaign.
Daicos wins the Copeland trophy in his most consistent season to date.

Ah, good times. Where did they go?

mikel3030 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:17 pm

2018 - what a ride
The Average Tourist 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:54 pm

iamsam wrote:
I loved the 2007 team. Beating Sydney, then the reigning premiers over in the West, and then getting within a kick off Geelong.

It was a mixture of the old and the new. Buckley, Clement, O'bree, Wakelin, Burns and then Shaw, Daisy, Pendles, Cloke, Swan, Marty Clarke and Sean Russling.

Yep 2007 for me as well the only DVD I ever purchased of us losing was the Prelim. Bucks & Clements last games Travis was a sensation

Watching on the box the week before win in extra time will stay with me forever (Swannie with clean skin)

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:09 pm

piedys wrote:
So much exciting football in 1986 after a torrid start, with BT at full forward getting lace-out delivery from our midfield, and just missing the five.
Wes Fellowes wins the Copeland, yet misses selection in round 1, 1987.

So many retirements and injuries leaving that list decimated going into 1987, I went to most games that year, expecting to lose, but merely wanting to see 4 quarters of effort, and the player progress. In hindsight, Craig Starcevich was the shining light, along with Michael Christian.
Millane would torment many sides in honorable losses, and go on to win his only Copeland trophy.

'87 was a good year full of hope, wasn't it? But bright hopes like Keays and Ryan (who was gonna win the Brownlow one day, some fans thought) did not make it to the 90 side.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:53 pm

Always admired William's work.
Great game plan, simple but effective tactics.
Pity we couldn't draft him.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:21 pm

K wrote:
piedys wrote:

'87 was a good year full of hope, wasn't it? But bright hopes like Keays and Ryan (who was gonna win the Brownlow one day, some fans thought) did not make it to the 90 side.

Keays was evidently an egomaniac, from what my internal "sauces" at the time told me. His debut year was excellent, and I attended his first game in round 4, vs Bitchmond at Waverly, in one of our greatest ever comebacks, to win against the odds; he was two weeks shy of his 17th birthday.
His next season in 1988 was solid in the reserves, however his then apprenticeship as a glazier saw him miss much of the 2nd half of the season with a cut hand.

He played 6 serviceable games in 1990, and arguably behind McKeown, as the unluckiest player not to make the team in September.

We would go on to trade him to the Tiggers, for their 1st round pick, which was intended for Allen Jakovich, to replace BT.
However Fitzroy, in their eternal ineptitude, shocked everybody at that draft by selecting David Donato, leaving us to grab McCartney with that pick.
Jakovich was of course snapped up by Melbourne.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/T/Terry_Keays.html

Matt Ryan was on fire in 1987, and certainly an early season favorite to win that Copeland. Had a very solid 1988 as well, but as we know, some shit went down with fatguts Matthews, and he abruptly quit the club in late 1989.

Matt then went to Sydney a had a great game against us in early 1990, at Victoria Park. Chances are he had in fact stayed, he most likely wouldn't have got any games ahead of boom SA recruits Russell and Francis, and would have spent much of 1990 in the reserves with Keays, Tuddy and Saunders, who were the luckless swingmen at the time, who couldn't consolidate their spots in the senior 20.

https://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/M/Matthew_Ryan.html

I thank both players for their services, which were much needed at the time.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:57 pm

1977. Hell of a ride, hell of a side.
K 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:42 am

piedys wrote:
K wrote:
... But bright hopes like Keays and Ryan (who was gonna win the Brownlow one day, some fans thought) did not make it to the 90 side.

Keays was evidently an egomaniac, from what my internal "sauces" at the time told me. His debut year was excellent, and I attended his first game in round 4, vs Bitchmond at Waverly, in one of our greatest ever comebacks, to win against the odds; he was two weeks shy of his 17th birthday.
His next season in 1988 was solid in the reserves, however his then apprenticeship as a glazier saw him miss much of the 2nd half of the season with a cut hand.

He played 6 serviceable games in 1990, and arguably behind McKeown, as the unluckiest player not to make the team in September.

Matt Ryan was on fire in 1987, and certainly an early season favorite to win that Copeland. Had a very solid 1988 as well, but as we know, some shit went down with fatguts Matthews, and he abruptly quit the club in late 1989.

Oh, really (about Keays)? He blamed burnout from playing senior football too soon.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:09 am

K wrote:
piedys wrote:
K wrote:
... But bright hopes like Keays and Ryan (who was gonna win the Brownlow one day, some fans thought) did not make it to the 90 side.

Keays was evidently an egomaniac, from what my internal "sauces" at the time told me....

Oh, really (about Keays)? He blamed burnout from playing senior football too soon.

I can only relay that from memory, from what I was told by several sources.
I never met the guy, nor do I have any problem with egomaniac sportsmen, providing they deliver on the park when required.
I did like him as a footballer, thought he was unlucky at selection several times but ultimately wasn't as elite as the others coming through from the class of 1986 U/19 premiership team.
I don't blame him from trying his hand at Tigers.
And the Pies did try to get him back to Vic Park once he finished at Punt Road, but he failed to show.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: