Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ex-AFL defender Heritier Lumumba criticises Magpies

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:43 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Very tragic to hear this racist rubbish.

www.facebook/the hybernators
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:45 am

watt price tully wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Still hard to fathom [what he was allegedly called]. <<Is it really necessary to continually attempt to promulgate the term? - the mods>>

The so called culture of racist jokes doesn't appear to be supported by other players at the club during this time. Be interesting to hear Leon Davis, Andrew Krakour, Chris Egan etc etc as to whether they were aware of this racist culture at the club.

Krak has already (a while ago) supported the view put forward by H so has Leon Davis I believe.

Yes, they did. Looking at this thread makes me feel like I'm in a time warp. Shocked

And Krak also said he had not wanted to play in an interstate game at the time (can't remember details without searching, but maybe it was against Brisbane?), but was pressured by club officials into playing (so it wouldn't look bad for the president) and it had a terrible effect on him.

That explains a lot to me. I could never understand at the time why Krak suddenly lost his hunger for the game, after coming back to AFL and then coming back from a knee reco. Now I reckon we know why.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:56 am

lihei wrote:
Attention seeker pops his head up again.....timely. Hopefully we have the 10 year reunion, sans Harry O and his messed up mind.

yep definitely an attention seeker, i mean gees, hes a grown man shouldnt he be able to take a bit of ribbing?? i mean its all his fault hes different and other grown men cant handle that??

are you $£$%^%%$ kidding me???

i am so pissed off about this, that nickname, which isnt hard to trace down, is bloody disgusting and a huge embarrassment to our club and anyone who partook or accepted, allowed it to happen. Game tonight or not, i dont blame him. I have never heard this before, last time i guess we didnt get the whole story. And if this is what it takes for us to finally realize what happened, for the club to do the right thing and apologise, then so be it. while i in know way condone the riots, they are helping no one, how else does the over the top violence when dealing with black offenders get addressed? it hasnt worked before, and while i am always a staunch defender of police and what they face everyday, the record stands. Get rid of the 10% of rogues to stop it reflecting on the good ones. same here.

good on you Harry, and i hope you find you peace.

I didnt agree with the Goodes thing as it was a kid he chose to stand up to, had it been an adult id have no problem with it. but maybe it was just unlucky that was the straw. I still dont like him and the game he played, just as i cant stand duckwood for his cheating game, however, having to put up with this, accepting a nickname, (any nickname that is not nice) and then when you say no, having more ridicule, **** that. just check the suicide rate. Real men do cry guys. and everyone has a right to be treated with respect.

mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:01 am

Just apologize.
We know there have been racism issues in our club for decades. Monkhorst in the 90's towards Michael Long, Vic Park against Winmar, Eddie against Goodes, Harry O situation - list goes on...

Let's make this right and move on.

Go Pies
BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:23 am

Feel bad for him. Some of the comments in this thread clearly demonstrate the issue at hand.
23 YIPPEE!!! 

YIPPEE 23!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:46 am

Just digging up some dirt that's all
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 pm

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/176011/copeland-trophy-harry-o-brien-speech?videoId=176011&modal=true&type=video&publishFrom=1380890401001
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:06 pm

https://youtu.be/OGKU0pOWC9Y
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:07 pm

Harry is not George Floyd, he seems to have a massive chip on his shoulder that hes carried around for years. He was a very good player, but then just went off the rails. I dont believe for a moment Magpie players would have made fun of him over his colour, and Bucks does not have a racist bone in his body. I note H did not play many games for Melbourne, when he scurried off there, so that tells me he had some big personal issues anyway.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:42 pm

Intentional or not, the nickname in question is unforgivably racist (don't $£$%^%%$ say it).

And its racist overtones would have been obvious in the 2000s.

Whatever else his issues, he is owed an apology for that.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:22 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Intentional or not, the nickname in question is unforgivably racist (don't $�$%^%%$ say it).

100% this

and even if some club members didnt say it, they allowed it to happen, so guilty anyway

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:41 pm

WhyPhilWhy? wrote:
Intentional or not, the nickname in question is unforgivably racist (don't $�$%^%%$ say it).

I have Harry on Facebook, he hadn't posted for a couple of years so I was surprised when his statement popped up.

He clearly says what the name was he was called, I'm not clear why using it, in context of the discussion, is not permitted.

Considering both Richmond and Collingwood players are apparently going to do some BLM thing before the game (not sure if taking a knee works anymore, seems NQR) so I can't see why an apology shouldn't be forthcoming.

couple of articles in Fox Sports. First one about his first statement, with confirmation from different sources that what he says is correct. Includes the name

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-heritier-lumumba-collingwood-afl-racism-nathan-buckley-eddie-mcguire-harry-obrien-mushrooms/news-story/89845d57183a7730673c790425d0df82

2nd article is a statement apparently given to Fox Sport as an open letter to his ex team mates.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2020-heritier-lumumba-lumumba-collingwood-racism-lumumba-statement-afl-racism-nathan-buckley-eddie-mcguire-collingwood-football-club-magpies/news-story/92d428a6f6957fdf38f2b2f5303bef18

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:35 pm

I remember him saying that he and Buckley had apologized to each other and that was the end of it. Obviously not. Unless that was only for the "Les" thing
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:51 pm

I have NFI what may be going on in his head. That speech at the Copeland was.....interesting. He now lives in LA, seems to have a kid and is quite engaged in activism . Whether it's just the current mood with the protests has triggered this or something else, I think an apology is in order.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:00 pm

It would take some guts, but if the Prez released a statement/video saying what we've done in the past is not good enough, it would be enormous.

Monkhourst/Long, Winmar/VP, Goodes/Eddie and Harry O could all be featured as mistakes we've already made. Just say sorry and try to repair these relationships and start to make a change.

I just hope that it wouldn't be rubbished and bagged by everyone else just cos.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 2 of 20   

Jump to: