Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Explosion in Beirut

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Israel have certainly been responsible for a lot of atrocities in Lebanon, and have indeed been gearing up for more attacks, but it seems pretty much certain that they had nothing to do with this – even Hezbollah have said so.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israeli-involvement-in-massive-beirut-blast-ruled-out-by-both-sides/

Well that’s something I suppose - I felt sick when I saw it briefly and remembered that post was about to enter the first of back to back to back Zoom meetings so couldn’t read anything else at the time.

That footage is just terrifying!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:59 pm

There is no evidence whatsoever that Israel is connected. Hezbollah, Israel & Tehran regularly Sabre rattle. Uninformed mischievous juxtaposition again.

Hezbollah hasn’t done anything significant recently to Israel: they did cross a border or try to. The reaction was bombing of Iranian depots in Syria quite recently.

However, there are unconfirmed reports of welding close by. The Australian government intelligence (apparently not an oxymoron) does not attribute this to an attack as such.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 8:04 pm

Morrigu wrote:
Hmmm we support Animals Lebanon and follow them and someone posted this link last week - I didnt pay that much attention at that time and I don't know if it is a reputable site but ......

Gantz Instructs IDF to Bomb Lebanese Infrastructure If Hezbollah Harms Soldiers or Civilians

YERUSHALAYIM - Defense Minister Benny Gantz on Thursday instructed the IDF to bomb Lebanese infrastructure if Hezbollah harms IDF soldiers or Israeli civilians.

A senior defense official told Yisrael Hayom that Gantz issued the order to prepare such a response during meetings on Thursday with IDF Chief of Staff Lt. Gen. Aviv Kochavi and other members of the general staff.

Tensions have rapidly escalated between Israel and the terrorist organization since the death of Hezbollah terrorist Ali Kamel Mohsen Jawad, along with two other terrorists, during an airstrike on Damascus International Airport earlier this month.

Hezbollah has vowed revenge for Jawad’s death, leading the IDF to move reinforcements to the northern border in preparation for an attack by the Shiite terror organization.

In Thursday’s meetings, Kochavi presented the IDF’s position on the matter, saying Israel must hold Hezbollah and the Lebanese government responsible for any future attack and its consequences.

According to the defense official, Israel didn’t kill the Hezbollah terrorists who attempted to carry out an attack in the Har Dov area on Monday, and didn’t release footage of the incident, in order to give the terror group a chance to save face and de-escalate the situation, but that Hezbollah was not taking the opportunity.

“If [Hezbollah] tries perpetrating another attack, we will see an unusual response from the IDF against [the organization] and the country of Lebanon,” the official said.

https://hamodia.com/2020/07/31/gantz-instructs-idf-bomb-lebanese-infrastructure-hezbollah-harms-soldiers-civilians/

Just awful as if they didn't have enough to cope with already Sad

Perhaps Animals Lebanon should stick to animals. Mischievous juxtaposition. Then again deliberate misinformation is par for the course for countries in a state of war.

Israel was one of the first countries to offer assistance and sympathy. I don’t recall ever seeing the reverse. Still.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:36 pm

^ perhaps you should pull your fckn head in! Animals Lebanon didn’t post it someone posted on their page with a “ I’m scared - will this affect your work” post - they commented that their primary concern and focus is on animal welfare!! Reasonable for someone to be a bit scared I would have thought - quite an aggressive statement by the Israeli Defence Minister IMO.

We are aware and support their work due mainly in part to the number of lions they have rescued from muppets who think it’s a good idea to buy and house a lion cub in a 14th storey flat in Beirut - those lions have been rehomed at the wonderful Drakenstein LP.

They are currently conducting search parties to find the pets of very distressed people who have been horribly impacted by this and are distressed at losing their companion animals - so I think their focus is right where it should be!!!!

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:53 pm

Morrigu wrote:

We are aware and support their work due mainly in part to the number of lions they have rescued from muppets who think it’s a good idea to buy and house a lion cub in a 14th storey flat in Beirut - those lions have been rehomed at the wonderful Drakenstein LP.

WTAF? Seriously? Shocked What kind of intellectually challenged cum-sock puppet does that?

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:59 pm

^ yep Rolling Eyes

Just one example: http://lionrescue.org.za/project/little-leo/

Sicks Bux Sagittarius

Hal 2003-2019

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:05 pm

It'll be interesting to find out how the fire started.

Last edited by Sicks Bux on Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:36 pm

Morrigu wrote:
^ yep Rolling Eyes

Just one example: http://lionrescue.org.za/project/little-leo/

just...no words.
**** china? **** people!!

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:16 am

Morrigu wrote:
^ perhaps you should pull your fckn head in! Animals Lebanon didn’t post it someone posted on their page with a “ I’m scared - will this affect your work” post - they commented that their primary concern and focus is on animal welfare!! Reasonable for someone to be a bit scared I would have thought - quite an aggressive statement by the Israeli Defence Minister IMO.

They are currently conducting search parties to find the pets of very distressed people who have been horribly impacted by this and are distressed at losing their companion animals - so I think their focus is right where it should be!!!!

A bit hard to pull my head in when I’ve been doing yoga for beginners for a long time; my heads already up my...😉
Mea Culpa: someone else posted it not Animals Lebanon.
As for the statements: like I said earlier many sides to the conflict are rattling sabres regularly. Very aggressive statement indeed to ward off Hezbollah wanting to open a new front. These are said to & fro regularly between The Party of God (Hezbollah), Iran the nation state party of God and Israel (bits of party of god, godless and according to the fundamentalists descendent from primates.

Memo to self: don’t post in my break at work so I have more time to read)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:24 am

So the bomb making chemicals belonged to Hezbollah. They actually stored a lot of the material in Germany and The UK before MI5 and the German version were tipped off by Mossad.

https://m.jpost.com/middle-east/hezbollah-stockpiled-chemical-behind-beirut-blast-in-london-637578

David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:01 am

watt price tully wrote:
So the bomb making chemicals belonged to Hezbollah.

No they didn’t, though you could be forgiven for coming to that conclusion based on that deceptively headlined article. They’re only saying that Hezbollah had stockpiled the same kind of explosive in other places, not that they had anything to do with the ammonium nitrate that caused this explosion.

Tannin Capricorn

Can't remember

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:30 am

watt price tully wrote:
So the bomb making chemicals belonged to Hezbollah.

No.

It was fertiliser. It was not "bomb making chemicals". Ammonium nitrate makes a particularly poor bomb: it is easy to detect ('coz it stinks), and it is not really portable as you need a huge amount of it. There are only two reasons to use it for a bomb: (a) 'coz you are poor and can't afford any proper explosive, and (b) 'coz the particular use you have in mind doesn't require delivery by any orthodox warlike method. (You can't fit enough ammonium nitrate into a warhead to make a decent bang: this rules out delivery via artillery shell, hand grenade, guided missile, smart bomb, dumb bomb, torpedo, or rocket. You need an entire truck to cart enough of it to do any serious damage.)

So it wasn't "bomb making material". It was fertiliser.

Secondly, it had been sitting in a warehouse on the dockside for six long years because nobody wanted it or knew who owned it.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:12 am

so.... a poorly controlled situation caused an .....accident. they do happen hey! who knew
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:17 am

Here's more on the backstory behind the storage of the ammonium nitrate:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/05/world/middleeast/beirut-lebanon-explosion.html

Quote:
The countdown to catastrophe began with a dilapidated, Russian-owned freighter plagued by debts and a disgruntled crew. The ship, the Rhosus, flew the flag of Moldova and was owned by Igor Grechushkin, a Russian businessman living in Cyprus. It left Batumi, Georgia, with a cargo of ammonium nitrate bound for Mozambique, but in November 2013, it made a detour to Beirut.

The captain, Boris Prokoshev, said in an interview on Wednesday that he had joined the ship in Turkey after a mutiny over unpaid wages by a previous crew. Mr. Prokoshev, now 70 and retired, said Mr. Grechushkin had told him he couldn’t pay for passage through the Suez Canal, so he sent the ship to Beirut to take on additional cargo, including heavy machinery.

The machinery would not fit into the ship, Mr. Prokoshev said, speaking from his home in Sochi, Russia. When the owner failed to pay port fees, Lebanese officials impounded it, forcing the crew to remain aboard.

Mr. Grechushkin apparently abandoned it, and the crew, several of them Ukrainians, struggled to obtain food and supplies. Their situation attracted attention in Ukraine, and after nearly two years a Lebanese judge ordered the crew released. Mr. Grechushkin paid for their passage to Odessa, in Ukraine.

That left Lebanese authorities in charge of the ammonium nitrate, which they moved to a dockside storage facility known as Hanger 12. Mr. Prokoshev, who said he was still owed $60,000 in wages, blamed Mr. Grechushkin for playing games with money, and Lebanese officials for keeping the ammonium nitrate at the port.

When he learned of the blast, Mr. Prokoshev said, “I was horrified.”

Besides all of this, it's kind of hard to believe that it sat there for six whole years – and presumably would have indefinitely until something like this happened – without being dispersed, or even distributed to farms and used for its intended purposes? I'm sure there were regulations preventing that, but perhaps a lesson for the future that someone, somewhere can learn from.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:59 am

There were attempts to get it moved on, but unsuccessful.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/08/05/europe/lebanon-russian-ship-blast-intl/index.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: