Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Rest Grundy.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Burns 17 wrote:
David wrote:
I wouldn't mind Lynch getting another crack, though it's a risk given how much is at stake. Having said that, one good thing is that we don't even name the team until Sunday – so if GWS beat St Kilda on Friday night, the result of the Port game may not really affect who we play in Week 1, and so we might get the opportunity to rest Grundy and a couple of others.
. Lynch is absolutely hopeless. Was gifted a game and will never play again

Hope you’re wrong! We all know he’s a long-term project player, and I’d be surprised if they kept him on the list this long only to dump him after a single match.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:50 pm

^

We have a habit of nurturing ruckmen until they're nearly ready to go, then getting rid of them

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:20 pm

This is the list as of 24th August based of 2020 performances
Below are the top 10 ruckmen in the AFL based on Champion Data’s rankings:

Max Gawn (Melbourne)
Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)
Nic Naitanui (West Coast)
Paddy Ryder (St Kilda)
Jarrod Witts (Gold Coast)
Scott Lycett (Port Adelaide)
Marc Pittonet (Carlton)
Riley O’Brien (Adelaide)
Brodie Grundy (Collingwood)
Rowan Marshall (St Kilda)

Grundy was ranked #1 at the end 2019
Every stat measured by champion data he is down on from his 2018/19 averages and some quite drastically

He has the lowest hit outs to advantage % of all ruckman at centre contests and has the lowest hit out to points scored ratio of all ruckman listed (actually ranked 15th in this stat)

Say what you will but stats don’t lie they are generally a fairly good indicator on how a player is performing in there role in direct comparison to a opposition player in the same position
npalm 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:29 am

His output is clearly down on previous years'performances.
He seems to me to be a proud & highly competitive player so this performance drop is unlikely to be an attitudinal problem. It's most likely to be injury related and an injury that can't be fixed by one or two weeks rest otherwise the club would have rested him by now.

If it is injury related then let's hope it can be resolved early in the off-season so that he can come back next year and be a dominant force once again.
We are a much better team when he is firing on all cylinders.

DT 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:23 am

I like CD but it is just one tool and has to be balanced by what we see. Grundy is significantly down but I think there are some signs of improvement. If he can finish strongly it may make a huge difference. Typically he hasn’t performed at the pointy end of the season so hopefully this changes this year
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:41 am

^ I guess 56 hitouts, 21 disposals and a goal in the 2018 preliminary final, backing that up with almost 50 hitouts in both losing West Coast finals that season, then turning up and having 47 hitouts and 21 disposals (15 contested) in pulverising Geelong in last year's QF and then backing up with 73 hitouts against GWS is what a player does when he "hasn't performed"?

FMD.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:18 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

We have a habit of nurturing ruckmen until they're nearly ready to go, then getting rid of them

True.
Say hello Witts and Ceglar.
Not champions but reasonable
players.
Although I thought Witts performed slightly better than Grundy on Monday night.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:32 am

Rd10.1998_11.1#36 wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Maybe we should let the coaching staff and club medicos make the call

You mean the club won't abide by what we decide here on Nicks? Very Happy

Gold😝 lol 😂😆🤣

Lazza 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 9:43 am

stui magpie wrote:
^

Excellent point. Oldies will remember a really promising ruckman named Russell Johnston who Collingwood let go to play in the SANFL (way before the AFL) and he went on to become one of Port Adelaide’s greatest players🥺

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:02 am

Johnston was a fine player but too short for the AFL, even in the 1908s (6'4"). He also had the timing issue that he debuted at 20 for us the year after Peter Moore won his first Brownlow Medal.

By contrast, both Ceglar and Witts have become first rucks and Witts captains his club.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ I guess 56 hitouts, 21 disposals and a goal in the 2018 preliminary final, backing that up with almost 50 hitouts in both losing West Coast finals that season, then turning up and having 47 hitouts and 21 disposals (15 contested) in pulverising Geelong in last year's QF and then backing up with 73 hitouts against GWS is what a player does when he "hasn't performed"?

FMD.

Mate you’ve taken what I posted out of context
Those champion data rankings are for 2020 season by itself alone
I clearly stated several times in recent weeks after seeing him play live he looks to be carrying a groin or high quad injury and is playing hurt for the betterment of the side because even at 75% he’s better than 90% of ruckman in the competition
My point was you can clearly see by the stats he’s down on his output and how when his down on performance it’s a direct link to our teams chances
He’s that valuable

Just as a side note for the rolling champion data stats he’s still ranked the 13th best player in the AFL the highest renked Collingwood players Treloar & Pendles next in line
ronrat 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:32 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Johnston was a fine player but too short for the AFL, even in the 1908s (6'4"). He also had the timing issue that he debuted at 20 for us the year after Peter Moore won his first Brownlow Medal.

By contrast, both Ceglar and Witts have become first rucks and Witts captains his club.

Tony Shaw said he was the best ruckman he roved to in terms of hitting him on the tit. .

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:35 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

FMD.

I clearly stated several times in recent weeks after seeing him play live he looks to be carrying a groin or high quad injury and is playing hurt for the betterment of the side because even at 75% he’s better than 90% of ruckman in the competition
My point was you can clearly see by the stats he’s down on his output and how when his down on performance it’s a direct link to our teams chances
He’s that valuable

Just as a side note for the rolling champion data stats he’s still ranked the 13th best player in the AFL the highest renked Collingwood players Treloar & Pendles next in line

Unless I misunderstand what has been posted, are the Champion Data stats saying that he is the 9th best ruckman in the competition but at the same time, he is the 13th best player in the competition.

Do they award hundreds of points every time he taps it to the grass, to opponents or to his opposing ruckman?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:45 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

FMD.

He’s that valuable

Actually, Qld, my old mate, I was responding to DT, not you.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:13 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

FMD.

He’s that valuable

Unless I misunderstand what has been posted, are the Champion Data stats saying that he is the 9th best ruckman in the competition but at the same time, he is the 13th best player in the competition.

Do they award hundreds of points every time he taps it to the grass, to opponents or to his opposing ruckman?

The 9 ranking is on 2020 stats only for ruckman
On the rolling stats (a separate list including all players which runs year on year) he is ranked 13th
Some of the rucks on the list have had very good 2020 performances but not so much previous or been injured
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: