Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#20 Ash Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marvelos 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Return of the baldfacts wrote:
Big T wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Thing with Ash is that he plays tall, can take a mark and is extremely mobile. We play he and Mihocek in the forward line we have the spine we need since Cox played forward back in 2018. Henry is our medium forward, McCreery is our defensive forward and then we build up our forward line around those four. Kreuger and McStay could change the formula next year. What showed us up last night was being killed by Gawn and Brown in our backline. We need another defensive tall to help out Moore - maybe McStay could fill that role next year.

That's what everyone is missing. McStay is being recruited for defence. And an ageing Howe.

But is McStay any good in defence? Been playing forward for many years, so not sure if he is any good as a defender.

Playing back is a hell of a lot easier than playing fwd, thing is he’s never been played as a deep forward, he’s a workhorse very similar to Checkers, he chases and leads up the ground, don’t know about you but I wouldn’t mind another Checkers in the side.

Or

We play him at FB allowing Moore to move to CHF, for 600k I’d take him every day.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 1:55 pm

Return of the baldfacts wrote:
Big T wrote:
MatthewBoydFanClub wrote:
Thing with Ash is that he plays tall, can take a mark and is extremely mobile. We play he and Mihocek in the forward line we have the spine we need since Cox played forward back in 2018. Henry is our medium forward, McCreery is our defensive forward and then we build up our forward line around those four. Kreuger and McStay could change the formula next year. What showed us up last night was being killed by Gawn and Brown in our backline. We need another defensive tall to help out Moore - maybe McStay could fill that role next year.

That's what everyone is missing. McStay is being recruited for defence. And an ageing Howe.

But is McStay any good in defence? Been playing forward for many years, so not sure if he is any good as a defender.

If you can be an even halfway decent forward, you can be a good defender as it’s just a way easier role. Hell, just look at Jeremy Howe who was recruited by us as a forward and then turned into a borderline AA defender after playing him forward didn’t work

lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:06 pm

I’m not sure that playing him forward didn’t work, just that our needs at the time were greater in defence. I will not discount him being our “break glass in emergency” forward if required. McRea like any top coach will have plans BC&D in reserve regarding Jeremy Howe.
Pebbles Rocks 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:00 pm

McStay played in defence as a junior and a couple of years there about 5 years ago.
He was arguably a better player there.
At the end of the day he has versatility which we really could have done with this year...

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:33 pm

I really like this young man.He’s given our forward line an extra dimension in the last few weeks.He actually leads to the ball,takes marks,and kicks straight.So unusual for Collingwood!We haven’t had a forward like that in a long time.

Jaimie Ellliot is equally impressed.In his post match interview he said ‘How exciting is Ash Johnson?F…’. 😊
think better 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:20 pm

Johnson looks about as relaxed as this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZgLwj9qQRY

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:49 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
I’m not sure that playing him forward didn’t work, just that our needs at the time were greater in defence. I will not discount him being our “break glass in emergency” forward if required. McRea like any top coach will have plans BC&D in reserve regarding Jeremy Howe.

I could also have used Darcy Moore as an example. Or Ben Reid. Or Simon Prestigiacomo (he used to be a centre half forward!). Or even Chris Tarrant (seemed washed up as a forward before becoming an AA defender). It’s not an unusual phenomenon

tbaker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:19 pm

VicParkTragic wrote:
Johnson has the attributes that sees him looking like a cross between Andrew Krakour and Sean Rusling. This is very exciting to say the least.

Yes, but a bigger body so could be damaging and not out-bustled easily.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 pm

Pebbles Rocks wrote:
McStay played in defence as a junior and a couple of years there about 5 years ago.
He was arguably a better player there.
At the end of the day he has versatility which we really could have done with this year...

Good post.

If he joins us, he will be useful as a utility. Though, I suspect they see him as a replacement to Roughead.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:28 pm

Ash has been fantastic since he broke into the seniors.

Knows how to clunk them and I feel confident when he's lining up for a set shot. Looks like an old school forward in some respects.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:04 pm

Ash will also kick more goals once his teammates get used to his leading patterns and give him more opportunities to use his pace. This kid could become an absolute star of the AFL. Although he's 24, he's really just at the beginning of his AFL career, and should be even fitter and stronger next year after another solid pre-season under his belt. The sky's the limit.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:23 am

He has the X factor of an Alan Didak or a Leon Davis ✔️✔️

Something we have lacked for a bit

i hate carlton 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:41 pm

Very very impressed with Johnson.

He's kicking pineapples!

My favourite nicks thread (Laugh at Carlscum): http://www.magpies.net/nick/bb/viewtopic.php?t=66021&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 9:23 am
Post subject: Lovely article on our Ash JohnsonReply with quote

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pie-from-the-sky-inside-the-amazing-journey-of-collingwood-s-ash-johnson-20220817-p5baoi.html
think better 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:07 am

I was just about to post the same one- great story and well written.

I love the idea that everyone in Halls Creek just goes for hangers!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 11 of 20   

Jump to: