Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre-Match. Pies v. Bulldogs. All comments

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Said by Zed 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

With the obvious exception of Pendles being out, I reckon we look better on paper than we did going into last weeks game.

Oleg and Jezza are good inclusions - goes without saying. It was against the dogs when Ash got massively crunched and hasn’t been the same since so it’s an opportunity for him to dispel some demons and get some confidence back. Bytel was okay before concussion so also not a bad in, but like others in their first game back from a head knock expecting him to be a bit gun shy and fumbly…hoping to be pleasantly surprised. And that leaves us with poor Finn who has seen several lesser lights come in to the team and shine on the big stage….this is his opportunity to get back on top of ‘pack next’ and return the faith…or put in a massive game and give us more bargaining power when we offer him (and possibly Ryan) up as part of a trade for Bailey Smith or Lobb.

Going to be all guns blazing at the OK corral at Marvel tomorrow. The dogs are going to come out hard and fast and try score quickly, often and early to break our spirit with imposing scoreboard pressure. But Fly et al have a plan…Pies to build pressure and momentum slowly and then come home like a freight train finishing all over the pooches. Ash to kick 5! The Mighty Pies by 7.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:10 pm

Luke Quaynor is making his debut for VFL Magpies.

https://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/news/1567034/vfl-team-selection-schreiber-returns-for-marvel-stadium-clash

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:17 pm

Of the two debutants Parker impressed me more
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:22 pm

Kreuger’s the only available player with more than one senior game who’s not playing tomorrow night. A bit stiff perhaps but I think these are all good selections (only one I wouldn’t have guessed is Allan out for Bytel, but on reflection it makes sense).

Of the five named on the bench, I assume Macrae will be sub.

Last edited by David on Thu May 30, 2024 7:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:23 pm

Parker gets another look in. Thought he looked promising

And that goal assist was good to see

warburton lad 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:45 pm

Somewhat bemused that Krueger did not get a look in...

Ins: Bytel, Markov, Johnson, Macrae & Howe

Outs: Allen, Richards, Mihocek, Pendles, Cox.

I can't see what the plan B is if, heaven forbid, Cameron got injured.
Krueger would have given us a modicum of cover...

I think they have gone with Bytel because he is more seasoned physically than Allen- that is a good call.

Howe will give us a consistent contest and be able to get to the contests more than Cox so, again, a good call.

Macrae is nowhere near a replacement for Pendles, but we need him to crack in at the centre square and feed off to Nick Daicos, Crisp and Lipinski.

Johnson for Mihocek is also a downgrade, but I have confidence that Johnson will rise to the occasion. Without being a 'Superboot' he has shown the capacity to jag goals in the past. I feel tomorrow is a litmus test for where he is at. I believe in his ability to shine and hope he gets an early one to get his competitive juices flowing.

Markov hasn't the skillset of Richards, but I believe that he can go back to release Sidebottom to go forward and create an authentic goal kicking option...

Overall, we need to back in our 'system' to get the job done.

Whilst I think the margin will be tight, I think this group of players will repay the faith that Craig McRae has shown in them and get the job done.

We are not reigning Premiers because we squib it when things get tough- all available evidence is to the contrary...

Floreat Pica.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:55 pm

I suspect Frampton will play up forward, when not relieving Cameron in the ruck.

I'd love 'Magic' Johnson to have some impact and kick 2 or 3 goals. The kid oozes talent, but has previously lacked the intensity and competitiveness required at this level. Hopefully, his time played in defence in the VFL, was designed to toughen him up and alert him to what is required to play senior footy. If he has improved in this area, he can light up the arena. Fingers crossed, he applies himself as required. No doubt, he will need Frampton down forward as well, to relieve some of the pressure off him.

Like most weeks, the key to this game will be how our depleted midfield works, missing JDG, Pendles and Mitchell. Unless someone like Sullivan or Macrae (despite being clearly undersized) are tasked with tagging the Bont, the only player we have who could physically match it with him would be Crisp. However, that might lead to us losing Crisp's attacking impact.

We can still win this one, and if we do so it will be an incredible achievement, given our delpeted list.

Pies by 12 points.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:09 pm

I struggle to see how playing all of Howe, Johnson and Kreuger forward is any different to featuring Mihocek, McStay and Cox in the 22 alongside Cameron

It isn't as talented sure but in terms of team balance it's the same and one could argue that with a reduction in overall quality you need that 3rd tall to help bridge the gap for impact.

Given our opponent will have 2 forward options of ruck sized proportions playing all of Moore, Frampton and Dean in defence could also be justified this week.

Personally I think removing Frampton seemingly from our defence is a bigger issue potentially than only going in with the 2 talls forward of the ball and Cameron.

Anyway it is what it is, they've made their decision, they've got their reasoning and I hope it proves the right one.

Go Pies!

dmov73 Aries

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 8:13 pm

warburton lad wrote:
Markov hasn't the skillset of Richards

Markov hasn’t the skills of Richard’s? Richard’s hasn’t the premiership medal Markov has. Markov goes on for the completely different role he plays.

Horatio Fin 

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:38 pm

I trust in the structuring/coaching of this team and think the team selected can win this even considering the outs we have.

Last edited by Horatio Fin on Thu May 30, 2024 9:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 9:46 pm

Horatio Fin wrote:
I trust in the structuring/coaching of this team and think the team selected can win this even considering the outs we have.

Agree, we have to have faith that our system will hold up well. I'm sure the coaches will find creative ways to keep us competitive.

On the personnel front, I'll be paying close attention to Ash Johnson. Might be his last chance to show something given how poor he started the season.

shawthing Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 10:15 pm

After Carlton's win tonight tomorrow's game is not an option. Win or we fall further behind the old enemy.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11   

Jump to: