Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#20 Ash Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
themonk 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:29 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot wrote:
I like the idea of a 3-prong tall attack of Mihocek, McStay and Ash "Majic" Johnston, but I'm just struggling to get him into my best 23.
Johnston certainly burst onto the scene in impressive fashion last year with some exciting forward play and some terrific kicking for goal. At one stage last year soon after his debut he was being compared with Phil Carman!
Unfortunately he was curtailed in the last few games with a sore hip injury and had a poor game in the Preliminary Final loss to Sydney.
If he can regain full fitness and confidence he certainly offers a bit of X-Factor to a forward line that oozes class and skill.
It will be fascinating to see how Fly McRae sets up our forward line to take full advantage of the skill available to him.

Sore hip! then why not play Henry?

If true did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:27 pm

themonk wrote:
...did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?

Long bow.jpg

A long bow

Boot 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:11 pm

themonk wrote:
Boot wrote:
I like the idea of a 3-prong tall attack of Mihocek, McStay and Ash "Majic" Johnston, but I'm just struggling to get him into my best 23.
Johnston certainly burst onto the scene in impressive fashion last year with some exciting forward play and some terrific kicking for goal. At one stage last year soon after his debut he was being compared with Phil Carman!
Unfortunately he was curtailed in the last few games with a sore hip injury and had a poor game in the Preliminary Final loss to Sydney.
If he can regain full fitness and confidence he certainly offers a bit of X-Factor to a forward line that oozes class and skill.
It will be fascinating to see how Fly McRae sets up our forward line to take full advantage of the skill available to him.

Sore hip! then why not play Henry?

If true did this decision cost us a flag & potential star?

Unfortunately Oliver Henry was destined to ask for a transfer back to Geelong very early into season 2022 i.e. as soon as he put off a decision to resign till the end of the season was always a warning sign. Also you may recall that Henry broke his hand in the VFL at the end of the season so a reason why he didn't replace the sore Ash Johnston was he wasn't 100% fit with a broken hand so its doubtful he would have done any better than Johnston in the finals last year.
It will always annoy me to see any success that Oliver Henry has at AFL level and I fear he will be a very good player for Geelong as he demonstrated very early from the first season he started at Collingwood that he is a very talented footballer. Just one of the few good players to ever want to leave Collingwood once there.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 8:41 pm

Apparently stays up most of the night playing video games.
Sometimes turns up late for training.
Some players aren't that happy with him.
As I said he needs a mentor.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:59 pm

Jezza wrote:
I don't think he's in the starting 22 if everyone is fit.

He was non-existent in the Sydney prelim when it was crunch time.

It was that idiotic around the corner kick directly in front of goal in Q1 against Geelong in QF that set me off, just when we were on the cusp of breaking them.

You should have heard me lose my shit at that on TV broadcast...

Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm
Post subject: Where in the world is Ash Johnson?Reply with quote

Apparently he hasn't been seen on the training track for some time, but he's not listed as injured.

Does anyone know what's going on?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:25 pm

He was at training today, on the white team in match sim playing on Maynard.
Harrysz 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:15 pm

Thanks Stui
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:20 pm

We are a better side, with him and Jack back in, more potent up forward.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Bucks5 Capricorn

Nicky D - Parting the red sea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:16 pm

How was he looking? I read another forum that he came back from the off season in poor shape.
piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:21 am

Piesnchess wrote:

Better side with him in playing to his potential... Saw some great patches last year. Clearly has the talent, but appears to lack the application (so far)

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:18 am

piffdog wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

Better side with him in playing to his potential... Saw some great patches last year. Clearly has the talent, but appears to lack the application (so far)

On what basis after playing a handful of games can you say Ash Johnston appears to “lack the application” ? Shocked

piffdog 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:34 am

watt price tully wrote:
piffdog wrote:
Piesnchess wrote:

On what basis after playing a handful of games can you say Ash Johnston appears to “lack the application” ? Shocked

Maybe I chose the wrong words. We’ve seen him do some great things (tick) but the fact he didn’t get drafted at a conventional age, then eventually got picked up as a mature ager and now doesn’t appear to be in our best team yet isn’t injured •suggests• he isn’t able to convert talent into consistency or performance or whatever it is that is keeping him from being selected. Add that to the gossip that he came back from the break not in great shape (in fairness I can’t confirm that as fact) and I am left to conclude he isn’t applying himself.

It’s not the handful of games - in fact the glimpses in those is what is convincing me he has heaps of talent - but why isn’t he in the team? Why didn’t he get picked up as a younger guy? He hasn’t just amassed this “talent” in the last 2-3 years, I suspect he has been gifted since he was 12 or 15… for some reason (and maybe it’s because he wasn’t as visible as Melbourne based private schools boys..??) though, whatever god-given brilliance he has wasn’t and still isn’t enough to get him into someone’s best 23 (23 nowadays?).

For the record I think he is super exciting and I hope he can maybe supplant someone like checkers who I think is a blunt instrument who is all application and a bit of talent. Time will tell.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:00 pm
Post subject: PIES GOALKICKER BEING TRACKEDReply with quote

ASH JOHNSON has become a fan favourite at Collingwood, but clubs are monitoring his contract situation for 2024 and beyond.

The 25-year-old earned a one-year extension with a trigger for a second year just before he made his debut in round 18 last year, but plenty has changed since then.

Johnson played the final nine games for Craig McRae, kicking 15 goals including a haul of four against Melbourne on the Friday night stage and three against Essendon in round 23.

With Dan McStay arriving in the off-season, the Halls Creek product started the season out of the senior side but quickly reminded the AFL of his quality with a strong showing against Richmond in round three.

Johnson has since been required to spend time in the ruck in the past fortnight due to the injury crisis at the Magpies and has proven he can play a role there.

Collingwood is keen to re-sign the West Australian for multiple years, but there are several clubs keeping tabs on his status, with the forward currently on the rookie list for his third season after being a mid-year rookie pick in 2021. – Josh Gabelich

Source :
https://www.afl.com.au/news/907670/saints-in-no-rush-don-s-extra-year-eyes-on-pie

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:42 pm

Spent some time in defence today. Might the Club have seen something that will fill the Howe void?
With that leap and wingspan, it'd prove a real headache for defenders.

With Cameron and McStay to come back, maybe the coaches are looking to see if Ash can offer us some further positional options as his career unfolds.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 13 of 20   

Jump to: