Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#20 Ash Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Good observation, LH.

Was surprised to see AJ down back later in the game.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:16 pm

When McStay returns to our forward line, Cameron resumes in the ruck, and Cox is deployed forward, I can see Fly & Co trialling Ash down back against the weaker teams.
He looks like a natural forward, but might he just present us with a Darryl White type and give us some real versatility.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 8:36 pm

Ash's hands could be insured like a super model's legs! Few, if any, have that timing and softness of hands. I marvel every time he lands a grab in a pack.
LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2023 8:24 am
Post subject: Contract negotiationsReply with quote

Collingwood forward Ash Johnson hopes to stay at the AIA Centre long term according to his manager Julian Petracca.

Johnson joined Collingwood in the 2021 mid-season draft and has since played 18 games for the club, booting 26 goals.

The exciting forward inked a contract extension last season with a trigger that will see him through until the end of the 2024 season but has reportedly attracted interest from rival clubs.

Despite that interest, Petracca said he and Collingwood football boss Graham Wright are in discussions about sorting Johnson a new multi-year deal.

“Ash was taken in the 2021 mid-season (draft),” Hemisphere Management's Petracca told AFL.com.au’s Gettable podcast.

“For us, we did his contract halfway through last year and he just did his hamstring off the bone.

“So, for us, he was out for nine to 10 weeks, so we just wanted to get some security and built in the trigger.

“But myself and Graham Wright have had some open discussions around maybe extending him beyond that for multiple years.

“I'll sit down with Ash and his partner around the bye to see what that looks like.”

Petracca believes Johnson is a player that Collingwood is keen to keep a hold of given his unique profile.

He is also confident the former Sturt forward is eager to remain with the Pies.

“I think so (he wants to stay), and the form he's shown, he plays a pivotal role in that forward line,” Petracca replied.

“He offers something different.

“He’s a bit of a mismatch, whether to play a small or tall defender (on him).

“He's got those capabilities of taking a specky and he has that x-factor and can hurt you with six to eight possessions, but he might kick a couple of goals.”

After showing that he can play second ruck on occasion earlier this season, Petracca revealed that he fielded calls from rival clubs about Johnson’s services.

“(My phone has been ringing) a little bit,” Petracca said.

“I think he's shown sort of in those first few rounds when he came in, he can play that sort of second ruck role.

“Developing that is another string to his bow, but I think forward is his predominant position.”

Johnson and Collingwood will go in search of their 11th win from their last 12 games when they face West Coast at Optus Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Source :
https://www.sen.com.au/news/2023/05/31/player-agent-in-discussions-with-collingwood-to-extend-forwards-contract/

inxs88 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:33 pm
Post subject: Ash Johnson Trade bait?Reply with quote

Okay flame throwers. This is a discussion thread. Interestingly Johnson remains unsigned for 2024 and you just wonder whether Macrae and Co. in list management may have seen enough and put him up for trade at years end. Clubs have been circling his Manager and given his propensity to go missing in big games, fumble, drop key marks and fail to exert surety and calm in crucial match day situations, it may be a possibility.

Thoughts?

Ronnie McKeowns boots 

Ronnie Mckeowns boots

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:37 pm

Any offers would be entertained

Jack 'Captain Blood' Dyer
First To Twenty Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:47 pm

Yep. Takes a hanger once a month just to remind us. Drops chest marks most games. Once McStay comes back there's no room...
Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:03 pm

I wonder if he could be transformed into a wingman? He looks good on the move, can use his size, leap and lateral movement to great effect. And he can kick a long goal on the run as we saw today. Maybe he is better suited in the WHE wing role just running up and down the wings. Could be worth looking at. Otherwise, yes I think he is not good enough in the forward line in high pressure games. Mind you, Checkers did SFA today as well but he has creds in the bank.

MONCO: Your life.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:11 pm

You need to be a bit careful from a list profile aspect.
Next year, Cox will be 33, McStay 29, Miochek 31 and Krueger shows no durability. Cox, Krueger and McStay have all missed significant chunks this year and yet we kept winning with Johnson in the team. Currently, McInnes is the only young “ established “ prospect to fall back on and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire either.
I’m not against a trade but I would want to know the footy dept has a better version of Johnson coming to the club as a replacement. If the club can’t land a like for like replacement ( only better ) then I’m not sure going to the draft with a speculative pick in return, would make us any better. Johnson’s future will be an interesting watch.
slangman 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 9:49 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
You need to be a bit careful from a list profile aspect.
Next year, Cox will be 33, McStay 29, Miochek 31 and Krueger shows no durability. Cox, Krueger and McStay have all missed significant chunks this year and yet we kept winning with Johnson in the team. Currently, McInnes is the only young “ established “ prospect to fall back on and he hasn’t exactly set the world on fire either.
I’m not against a trade but I would want to know the footy dept has a better version of Johnson coming to the club as a replacement. If the club can’t land a like for like replacement ( only better ) then I’m not sure going to the draft with a speculative pick in return, would make us any better. Johnson’s future will be an interesting watch.

We haven’t drafted (National Draft) and developed a KPF since Cloke and
Dawes.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:28 pm

West Coast - their management team are obviously so far out of touch it isn't funny..Oscar Allen and their 2nd pick for Ash should be easy.
Boot 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:31 pm

Ash Johnson has great potential and has showed glimpses with some very good games where he has kicked multiple goals. I'd keep him at the club unless we have another proven key forward arrive at the club during trade time.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 11:49 pm

Monco Matt wrote:
I wonder if he could be transformed into a wingman? He looks good on the move, can use his size, leap and lateral movement to great effect. And he can kick a long goal.

A very good point. At times he is laconic and reminds me of Shane Morwood who shone after he was moved onto a wing. Worth a try to see if it works.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 1:22 am

lazzadesilva wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
I wonder if he could be transformed into a wingman? He looks good on the move, can use his size, leap and lateral movement to great effect. And he can kick a long goal.

A very good point. At times he is laconic and reminds me of Shane Morwood who shone after he was moved onto a wing. Worth a try to see if it works.

Now that you mention it, Yes! Didn't Morwood mainly play off the HB line? Ash certainly does move like him though.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:06 am

IN a word, NO, NEIN, NYET, NOPE. NO WAY JOSE.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 14 of 20   

Jump to: