Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Vale / in Memorium

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Go_The_Mighty_Magpies Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:20 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

London Dave wrote:
Eunos wrote:
And now the Dreamons are "retiring" his guernsey.
How many games did he play?
What a joke.

Fair enough to 'retire' it for a season or two, though I tend to agree with you Eunos that it's a bit OTT. We'll have the 'Troy' fest for a while, whilst all the 'grieving' goes on.

I agree going to the point of retiring his guernsey permenantly would be a little OTT. But just because he wasn't a champion footballer doesn't make his life or the tragedy of his death any less significant. A year like they are considering might be appropriate, or even just a game this season dedicated to his honour.

I think the large media focus on him when there are so many other people dead, missing and injured is what is the real joke.

randy13 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:08 am

I've been reading posts on Nick's for a couple of years but only after reading this thread I decided to join because some of the posts frustrated me so much.

I am a Melbourne member (don't own anything tartan, i don't own a car, i've never skiied) and I understand that many of you from other teams may not have heard of or seen Troy Broadbridge play. I agree he was not a champion player (who knows what he could have been!!) but having met him several times, I feel that the reason why Broady will be missed and loved SOOO much by his family, friends, teammates and all melbourne members is because he is just one of the most kind and considerate people you could have ever come across.

Having met several footballers from a range of teams, as much as I love footy players, there does seem to be a common streak of arrogance and other unattractive traits among them, but Broady was an angel. He was an awesome clubman, his wife worked with Jimmy Stynes for Reach and I can imagine that together they were a very charitable, caring couple.

I think Broady will be remembered more as a friend to members and players than as a player which is so much more important anyway. For those of you that think retiring his no.20 is over the top, you are pretty insensitive. I don't understand how you could possibly think that the players or any draftees would want to play in his jumper. He was a club personality because of his big heart and I believe your club retired a jumper for somebody that died drink driving (i'm not saying that was wrong, but there are reasons other than somebody being a footy champion that make players want to retire and honour their mates jumper).

In terms of playing a tribute game or whatever in honour of Broady, I think some of you are being slightly insensitive once again. As was Jason McCartney's big last game, its the AFL's (and us footy fans) way of paying tribute to everybody affected by the tragedy. I thought that McCartney's game was for McCartney to represent everybody affected in Bali and thats what a Troy Broadbridge tribute game would be. Broady is the AFL's representative for the tsunami tragedy.

It breaks my heart that he is gone, some of you need to think outside the football square you live in. Not everything is about who wins, loses and which player plays best. In the end it is just a game and retiring a jumper is part of the process that my group of players feel they need to do to honour/mourn/grieve a lost mate.
Have some respect!
RIP Broady and my love goes out to Trisha, Broady's family, friends and the Melbourne Footy Club players and members.
Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:57 am

Great post randy. You can see how it hurts everyone involved.

Does anyone know when the funeral is?
Eunos 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:05 am

Well, thanks for the abusive PM Randy13, just a great way to start the day.
I would suggest that if you "only registered today" to be able to send it then you have wasted your time.

Now, back to my original post. I saw reported on TV news that the no.20 jumper was to be retired. I took this to mean forever. Further reading on this subject now leads me to believe it will be for season 2005 only.
As he already held the number then thats fair.
Now, can the dreamons among us tell me does MFC get another draft pick or can they elevate a rookie? Or is Troy's contract still in place under the cap which would preclude them from adding to the list?
Serious question.
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:39 am

For what it's worth, footy should be the farthest on their minds at the moment and so it should be.

Life, is more important than a guernsey no., draft pick or whatever. If they choose to retire the guernsey, so be it. Why should we worry. They will have their reasons and it's not a joke. If it was a Collingwood player we would never even have this discussion. Please people show some respect.

RIP Troy. It's been a real tragedy - one death out of many, yes. But any death brings us to the realisation of the enormity of this.

randy13 Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:51 pm

eunos, the pm was not abusive but i admit it was hard trying not to make it abusive after reading your post.

the funeral is this thursday the 20th. trisha chose the date because footy was a significant part of troy's life and his jumper number was 20, thats why they were trying so hard to get his body back by the end of last week.
Daks Libra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:00 pm

randy13, i'm sorry but i really think you're going a little over the top on this one. None of us on here were in any way being disrespectful to Troy, we were just trying to say that The whole number retiring thing is going a little over the top.

What was so wrong with Eunos's post, anyway? he wasn't saying anything disrespectful. Eunos is one of the most respected posters on this board (well by me, anyway) and like most of his opinions, that one was valid.

© Daks 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
randy13 Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:56 pm

Daks wrote:
randy13, i'm sorry but i really think you're going a little over the top on this one. None of us on here were in any way being disrespectful to Troy, we were just trying to say that The whole number retiring thing is going a little over the top.

What was so wrong with Eunos's post, anyway? he wasn't saying anything disrespectful. Eunos is one of the most respected posters on this board (well by me, anyway) and like most of his opinions, that one was valid.

sorry i wasn't aware my post was over the top, just like retiring troy's jumper, hey?

Eunos wrote:
What a joke

sorry, but that sounds a tiny bit disrespectful to me
Daks Libra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:41 pm

randy13 wrote:
Daks wrote:

sorry i wasn't aware my post was over the top, just like retiring troy's jumper, hey?

Eunos wrote:
What a joke

sorry, but that sounds a tiny bit disrespectful to me

No more disrespectful than you Dreamons are towards us.

It's a two way street, mate.. if you don't like it, we don't give a shit.. you're on our turf.

© Daks 2006
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
Eunos 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:42 pm

randy13 wrote:
Pathetic post about Broady's jumper being retired, you are gutless and have no heart.

Thats not abusive at all is it?

the rules wrote:
Supporters of other AFL clubs may be warned just for showing up

I love the smell of yellow in the morning!
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:09 pm

This is turning out to be a bitch fight. Cut it out guys. There are more important things going on.
magpies are 2 good Sagittarius

jacki is hot

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:53 pm

me and my mates went past junction oval yesterday whole we were going to beach. well my mate said look over there and it was tribute to troy boardbrige:

it said sumfin like: R.I.P troy boardbrige etc it was like david hookes on the adelaide oval scoreboard but at junction oval on the left hand side.
crackers57 

Let sleeping dogs lie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:38 am

Just a note on the retiring of Troy's jumper -
Whether or not he was a "champion" footballer has nothing to do with the respect he may have received from within the club. Anyone who has been involved in any football club will know that the most respected, liked, admired people are not necessarily the "best" footballers. The team ethic within any club usually affords these honours to the people who battle and sacrifice the most to contribute to cause. These are in house decisions to be made and are none of our concern.

Johnson#26 

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:19 pm

Reports in the paper today sound like the funeral was a very sad occasion. Must have been very difficult to attend. RIP Troy - rest in peace.
Proud Pies Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:39 pm

Johnson#26 wrote:
Reports in the paper today sound like the funeral was a very sad occasion.

I've never been to a funeral that WASN'T a very sad occasion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Page 14 of 100   

Jump to: