Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#33 Rupert Wills

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:25 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr M missed that whack Rupert brushed aside but I do recall when Mitch Robertson whacked Tay—- his best shot flush on the chin and Adams shook his head as if nothing happened —— that takes the wind right out of a snipers sails
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:39 am

Just read Wills has apparently broken the record for fewest games played to reach 100 career tackles. I've been absolutely loving his tenacity - should put us in good stead for whatever comes next.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:17 pm

I’ve come to the conclusion he’s better at tough than Sier
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:21 pm

When it comes to bears, Sier is the Panda and Wills is the Grissly. Cool
simon tonna 

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:45 pm

there's a reason he was obtained on the list while injured/rehab and with only a few senior games to his name. he showed that in the past before the injury cycle he could do the tuff stuff in a way that worked so well that the coaches must of seen his potential. his clearance rates are not high but those numbers will only get better. I hope with the more mature body and added strength that comes with age he can become a weapon monster midfielder like a Voss or a Yeo.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:06 pm

simon tonna wrote:
there's a reason he was obtained on the list while injured/rehab and with only a few senior games to his name. he showed that in the past before the injury cycle he could do the tuff stuff in a way that worked so well that the coaches must of seen his potential. his clearance rates are not high but those numbers will only get better. I hope with the more mature body and added strength that comes with age he can become a weapon monster midfielder like a Voss or a Yeo.

Wills is 26, 4 years older than Sier. If he doesn't have a mature body by now..............

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:48 am

stui magpie wrote:
simon tonna wrote:

Wills is 26, 4 years older than Sier. If he doesn't have a mature body by now..............

true.
I didn't know he is that age, but my point still remains he has proven enough in the past to remain on the list despite the season ending injuries he has suffered. I do believe he is a major positive to the outcome of the season for us.

pietillidie 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:57 am

Hasn't Willsy found his niche? I'd all but forgotten that given enough opportunity and the right role a percentage of fringe players will surprise. MM was great at developing role players, and although injury forced our hand this is a pleasant lesson to relearn.

Above all, hats off to the lad for grasping the opportunity and wearing the hits for the team. I'd go as far as to say his tackling and body work are crucial to our chances.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:38 am

Just shows yo never know with youhg players. AS late as mid season most people thoguht Wills was not going to make it in the AFL after mediocre contributions in his few games.
I was wondering myself but the jury should not jump to convictions of developing players too hastily. Congrats to teh club for being so patient with the Willserbeast. From being a poor substitute for Sier, he has now surpassed him in the role.
I think it will bring a reaction from oppos to try to counter his effect this final serise, and to develop similar role players next season.
but I think it's too late for them to do much about him for this year, except Capt Blood-style sniping but not the easiest beastie to disable.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:02 am

Wills has always been capable of all these performances, 2 or 3 seasons ago just can remember which year because he has had many issues with injuries but he played the last 7 games an showed strength in tackling, shepherting good tank on him and was hard and added that physicality we needed. Many have always had a high regard for the lad always hoping he would make it back. He may not have the skill of Sier or speed but he lasts all 4 quarters and shows all those attributes everytime.
David Libra

to wish impossible things

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:10 am

Hard to imagine that he’d only played one solitary AFL match in the two seasons leading up to this one, and had only managed another three leading into round 20 – and yet is probably a lock to play in a grand final if we make it. The biggest Collingwood Lazarus story since Rhyce Shaw in 2003, I’d say!

Also, hasn’t played in a loss since 2016! Let’s hope that streak continues. Smile

K 

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:01 pm

Err... Wrong thread...

Wombat, wombat...
E 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:53 am

wills, like Mihocek and Thomas are in the team, not because they are superstars, but because they are playing a specific role inside of collingwood's system and playing it really well. its just like greenwood saved his career by stepping into the aish role across half back that Aish himself agreed to take since his midfield role was taken by better players.

Until the second half of this year, it was pretty clear to all that Sier played the Will role better than wills, although there were doubts about his fitness and that fitness may have actually cost us a flag.

So many playwers come into our system and look pretty good. Even Magden did!!!

we have constructed an amazing system and have complete buy in from the playing group. We have recruited a number of guns and surrounded them with a bunch of role players who look very good in thuis system

Its kind of like late in MMs coaxching career. Blokes like McCaffer, Blair and Lee Brown all looked like absolute guns! They werent.

Wills is the same. He is doing just brilliantly t what he is being asked to do. Having said that, i think Nathan has taken all creativity out of his role since i dont think he possesses it in the way sier did. He is now 100% grunt! And its brilliant!

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:54 pm

In the comparison to Sier, Wills didn’t play since round 18, 2017 due to injury, not because Sier was better at the role.
I’ll take the Wills output both on and off field before Sier.
Rupert "the wombat" Wills is the new spirit animal of the Pies.

Last edited by LaurieHolden on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:13 pm

Go the mighty wombats!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20   

Jump to: