Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#20 Ash Johnson

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdally 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

As always with this kind of idea - it usually depends on the price someone else will pay. If WCE are silly enough to offer something like Oscar Allen - then of course you would swap him for Johnson. Unlikely to think they would offer that though, so we will decline their 3rd rounder for Ash and keep him.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:00 am

He was unhappy at being subbed out. If his manager pushes for a massive long deal he will be traded. Everyone is tradable. He's got a heap of potential and in saying that I can name a lot of ex-players that had the same potential.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:52 am

Culprit wrote:
He was unhappy at being subbed out. If his manager pushes for a massive long deal he will be traded. Everyone is tradable. He's got a heap of potential and in saying that I can name a lot of ex-players that had the same potential.

Two weeks in a row he was justifiably subbed out. Two words "Get Better"

Boot 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 11:58 am

Skids wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:
Monco Matt wrote:
I wonder if he could be transformed into a wingman? He looks good on the move, can use his size, leap and lateral movement to great effect. And he can kick a long goal.

A very good point. At times he is laconic and reminds me of Shane Morwood who shone after he was moved onto a wing. Worth a try to see if it works.

Now that you mention it, Yes! Didn't Morwood mainly play off the HB line? Ash certainly does move like him though.

I don't think Ash Johnston has the tank to be a long term option further up the ground. He's seems to be one of those athletes that have explosive power but can't sustain it.
As for his reported similarities to Shane Morwood, my recollection is that Shane Morwood was recruited at great cost as a potential key forward, like his brother Tony was at Sydney. but when he was found to struggle in that role up forward Leigh Matthews put him to the back flank where he did well with his height and skills. Of course he played in the 1990 Grand Final win for Collingwood in that role. After 1990 he had some injury problems with his knee and lost some of his pace which saw him tried back into the forward line briefly before retiring at the end of 1993.

LaurieHolden Aquarius

Floreat Gymnorhina tyrannica

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:52 pm

What we gauge in matches like yesterday is how well out bottom 6 perform when things get tight, and equally how strong our positional lines stand up under pressure.

Our deficits in inside 50 conversions were laid bare yesterday, and over recent weeks.
If Johnson takes those regulation marks, the inside conversion numbers balance out, as does the scoreboard pressure.

The efforts of our midfield remain undermined by this, and reamins one of biggest risks going into September.

McStay can't come back soon enough in an attempt to sure up our deficits when it comes to inside 50 acores. Sure enough, different style of player,but Johnson has been found wanting too many times when things get willing.

Johnson may well remain a work in progress, but his current output reamins below par for a consistent senior berth, let alone finals.

Take_a_Screamer Leo

.....No.40...Ash Johnson...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:54 pm

Piesnchess wrote:
IN a word, NO, NEIN, NYET, NOPE. NO WAY JOSE.✔️

Persist with Ash

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  
neil Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:54 pm

He is not doing enough
His tank is poor and have any of the training watchers seen any efforts on his part to improve?

It would depend on what was offered for him
An early first then yes

Gerry Cooper 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 6:50 pm

As I see it, Johnson should be playing as the third tall in the forward line. That's the role he is best suited to. The second tall should be the pack crusher etc - that's not Johnson's role at all. The precision marking he likes is not going happen when he is in the middle of a flying pack trying to mark. Also he seems a bit off his game since that big mark when he landed flat on his back. Carrying some injury perhaps?
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:21 pm

Gerry Cooper wrote:
As I see it, Johnson should be playing as the third tall in the forward line. That's the role he is best suited to. The second tall should be the pack crusher etc - that's not Johnson's role at all. The precision marking he likes is not going happen when he is in the middle of a flying pack trying to mark. Also he seems a bit off his game since that big mark when he landed flat on his back. Carrying some injury perhaps?

That's the problem. He is playing the 3rd tall forward behind Cox and Mihocek.

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 9:56 am

I reckon the question list managers always have to ask is "this as good as he is going to get"? Johnson is mercurial, a decent kick and has genuine X factor but his match day disappearing acts and tendencies to not enjoy body contact from opponents doesn't augur well for September.

So with him turning 26 years old at seasons end and rival clubs (plural) circling, a pick in the early 30's maybe a win:win.

derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 11:45 am

On tallent he is worth late first round early second, would we do that deal if it came knocking?

I think if it was a future first round Wright would be falling over himself to sign the paper work.

Happy also to keep Johnson, forwards are always up and down...we forget so quickly the games where he kicks 2 or 3 and looks great.

When Peter Wright was on the market I said at the time the club would loo foolish for not chasing him harder.... sadly I was correct.

But the club has to get real in the next year or two and make a concerted effort to move up the board to land a genuin young key forward ...enough of this stop gap stuff.

Anyway my thoughts

Podpicken Cancer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:41 pm

He is NOT worth a first round pick. Think about it. Let's get out of the Collingwood universe for a minute and compare him with a bit of like for like.

Sam Weideman, same age, same sort of role.

Weideman has 15 goals in 2023, averages 9.5 disposals a game and 4 marks.
AJ has 14 goals in 2023, averages 8.1 disposals, 3.1 marks.

Would you offer a first round pick for Weideman?

mattdally 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 12:47 pm

Exactly - a pick in the 50's is his current value.
skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 1:01 pm

Podpicken wrote:
He is NOT worth a first round pick. Think about it. Let's get out of the Collingwood universe for a minute and compare him with a bit of like for like.

Fair call in the light of those statistics...except, AJ has more Xfactor and more (I Hate this term), potential/upside.

derkd 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 3:59 pm

Podpicken wrote:

I am the first one to shoot down silly 'Collingwood centric' lets trade this player who has only played VFL for X gun from another club or a top 10 pick... so in this instance, I must not look hypocritical, on those numbers yes Ash is only a 3rd rounder, correct. The only factor that changes these things is 'demand' ...we paid a future second rounder to Sydney for Cameron, however ...we were not the only interested club.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 15 of 20   

Jump to: