Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17,#11 Dayne Beams

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:15 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies4shaw wrote:
Thats just silly. People on here want to pretend that hes a 29 disposal, goal per game mid. The reason I wanted him gone is that over 12 finals, he averages about 10 disposals less in finals than during the regular season and a quarter as many goals. If he can fix that, hes a great pickup. If not, we can look forward to more dashed expectations. It isnt like his goal kicking in finals is based on a trivial sample. Hes played 12 finals for 3.9.

It probably doesn't do him justice to look at his finals record seeing as he was still a pretty inexperienced player in 2009-11. I'd argue that as he started to hint at becoming an elite midfielder (2012-) coincided with our teams decline which is no fault of his. So for our 2010 Premiership he was a second year player on the edge of our best 22. That needs to be taken into consideration. A lot to hang on the shoulders of a greenhorn -- in my best John Wayne voice Wink
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:47 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
ANNODAM wrote:
Nope, overs....

Too dear...
Too dear?

Two mates, each died in the wool Roys now Brisbane supporters. One whinged last night. One whinged this morning. They thought that Brisbane had been shafted. In their mind they have received draft picks that they will use to develop players that then want to come to us in a few years' time. Can't say that I blame them, looking at who they have lost.

This argument, even if true (and it's hardly rare for both sets of supporters to be unhappy), has the weakness that it's possible for the deal to be lose-lose.
billy_picken25 Cancer

billy_picken25

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:48 am

Looking forward to a fit Beams playing well and contributing to the team.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:52 am

SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Thats just silly. People on here want to pretend that hes a 29 disposal, goal per game mid. The reason I wanted him gone is that over 12 finals, he averages about 10 disposals less in finals than during the regular season and a quarter as many goals. If he can fix that, hes a great pickup. If not, we can look forward to more dashed expectations. It isnt like his goal kicking in finals is based on a trivial sample. Hes played 12 finals for 3.9.

It probably doesn't do him justice to look at his finals record seeing as he was still a pretty inexperienced player in 2009-11. I'd argue that as he started to hint at becoming an elite midfielder (2012-) coincided with our teams decline which is no fault of his. So for our 2010 Premiership he was a second year player on the edge of our best 22. That needs to be taken into consideration. A lot to hang on the shoulders of a greenhorn -- in my best John Wayne voice Wink

I don't seem to be able to find a list of Collingwood players that enables me to see easily their respective goal-per game averages in finals but the following figures emerge by having a look at some medium size players (ie, not Coventry, McKenna, Todd etc) who played a mix of mid and forward for us:

Daicos - 19 finals, 39 goals (career average 2.2 per game, finals 2 and a bit goals per game)
Burns 10 finals, 6 goals (career average 0.6 per game, finals average 0.6 per game)
Buckley 10 finals, 6 goals (career average 1 goal per game, finals 0.6 per game)
Swan 20 finals, 21 goals (career average 0.8 goals per game, finals 1 and a bit per game)
Lou Richards 14 finals, 20 goals (career average 1.7 goals per game, finals 1.4 goals per game)
Ben Johnson 20 finals, 9 goals (career average 0.3 goals per game, finals 0.45 goals per game)
Pendlebury 21 finals, 7 goals (career average 0.6 goals per game, finals 0.33 goals per game)
Lockyer 12 finals, 6 goals (career average 0.66 goals per game, finals 0.5 goals per game)
Leon Davis 18 finals (some played in the backline), 15 goals (career average 1.2 goals per game, finals 0.8 per game)
Didak 23 finals, 20 goals (career average 1.3 goals per game, finals 0.9 goals per game)
Sidebottom 18 finals, 9 goals (career average 0.7 goals per game, finals 0.5 goals per game)
Wearmounth 20 finals, 22 goals (career average 0.7 goals per game, finals 1.1 goals per game)
Tuddenham 15 finals, 23 goals (career average 1.3 goals per game, finals 1.5 goals per game)
Scott Russell 6 finals, 7 goals (career average 0.6 goals per game, finals 1 and a bit goals per game)
Dale Thomas 18 finals, 11 goals (career average 0.6 goals per game, finals 0.6 goals per game)
Blair 11 finals, 3 goals (career average 0.8 goals per game, finals 0.3 goals per game)
Barham 18 finals, 18 goals (career average 0.9 goals per game, finals 1 goal per game)
Ray Shaw 20 finals, 31 goals (career average 1.4 goals per game, finals 1.6 goals per game)
Wayne Richardson 20 finals, 17 goals (career average 1.2 goals per game, finals 0.9 goals per game)
Tony Shaw 22 finals, 9 goals (career average 0.5 goals per game, finals 0.4 goals per game)
Francis 6 finals, 7 goals (career average 0.7 goals per game, finals 1 and a bit goals per game)
Mike Richardson 4 finals, 8 goals (career average 1.1 goals per game, finals 2 goals per game)

I understand that special pleading is possible. I'm not saying there aren't explanations available in Beams' case. I'm merely explaining why I think it's naive to think that he improves the team at the end of the season, when it matters. There are "explanations" for what happened between 1977 and 1981 that don't involve direct criticism, too.

I'm very confident Beams will help improve Collingwood's chances of making top 4. It's what comes after that that worries me.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:08 am

The picks for Beams is far from overs.
In reality we traded pick 56 and next year's 1st round pick for Beams.
Pick 18 (from points value) has slipped to pick 25 with the picks coming back.
Great result!
King Malta Leo

RIP Flip

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:17 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67, can you give any comments on how you think Dayne and Bucks will get along the second time around?

I know you didn't ask me Wink but all the same;

I think Bucks has developed a lot as a coach in the last few years and one of his major development areas has been his emotional intelligence IMO. I think he's probably the best possible coach a person experiencing the kind of issues Dayne seems to have been facing in the last few years.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:22 am

Streak wrote:
35forever wrote:
What are u on about streak? That's 35 you're talking about!
Oh, wait... are u taking the piss?

Ohhhh, right. Got my numbers confused.

Not taking the piss! Genuine mistake. Flag this post, as proof that I, too, make them.
Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:23 am

King Malta wrote:
I think Bucks has developed a lot as a coach in the last few years and one of his major development areas has been his emotional intelligence IMO. I think he's probably the best possible coach a person experiencing the kind of issues Dayne seems to have been facing in the last few years.

Shades of H's claim. NB himself earlier in the year denied that he's really changed --- sensibly, I think, because he clearly realizes that claiming he changed radically suggests he needed to change radically.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:25 am

Streak wrote:
35forever wrote:
What are u on about streak? That's 35 you're talking about!
Oh, wait... are u taking the piss?

Ohhhh, right. Got my numbers confused.

Not taking the piss! Genuine mistake. Flag this post, as proof that I, too, make them.

I was too scared to ask last night. Thank you 35f for asking for me.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:27 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

With respect your worship, you too are highlighting certain facts and omitting others as some of my best friends might say.

Beams is now a Collingwood player: No wouldas, couldas or shouldas. Time for embracing Dayne back to the (skin) fold

Go Pies.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:28 am

SwansWay wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Well said Pilgrim

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:32 am

K wrote:
King Malta wrote:

Shades of H's claim. NB himself earlier in the year denied that he's really changed --- sensibly, I think, because he clearly realizes that claiming he changed radically suggests he needed to change radically.

Sidey was the mediator between Beams and Bucks, and got them on track. They'll never be best mates, but they at least respect and understand each other now.

But gee, who's ever best mates with their boss with 40+ other co-workers?

As for H's claims, usually the people who accuse others of having no emotional/social intelligence are the ones who lack it himself. Read Daniel Goleman. Wink
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 am

Mr Miyagi wrote:
As for H's claims, usually the people who accuse others of having no emotional/social intelligence are the ones who lack it himself. Read Daniel Goleman. Wink

Yes, Goleman probably lacks emotional intelligence, but alas not money made from writing rubbish. Wink
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:13 am

watt price tully wrote:

Beams is now a Collingwood player: No wouldas, couldas or shouldas. Time for embracing Dayne back to the (skin) fold

Go Pies.

Ill also add that since he was virtually surrounded bY VFL level players, his best wasnt on display. I cant wait to see what he can do now.

And as for the comments from some about Buckleys emotional growth, he didnt suddenly get a care factor, any one who had spoken to him in the past could see the wall around him, hes just chipping at the bricks. Personally I think thats a man thing you guys just dont admit it til there is a puppy and toilet paper add on the telly!

Welcome back Beams, sorry welcome HOME!

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 am

K wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
2 1st Rounders is a Big Price.

Hopefully we Make Finals/Win Flag so Late 1st Round Pick next year

Yep, if we get the Spoon next year, Brissy will be laughing themselves senseless.

As if that is going to happen. We have only won a single wooden spoon in our history. To even suggest that it will accur again in 2019 is absurd.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 149, 150, 151 ... 186, 187, 188  Next
Page 150 of 188   

Jump to: