Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

#17 Callum Brown

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 12:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

That about sums up clubs good fortune
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 4:46 pm

You don't not play players coming up because they are just going to get better and better and case in point is Callum Brown, who provided he keeps his form, is in our best 22.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:09 pm

Anything outside of 40 metres in our F50, must be given off to a designated goal kicker, which he ain't.
But his clean hands and first option disposals are becoming Sam Mitchell-like.
And that, bodes well for the future peeps.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 8:40 pm

Callum ain’t there yet but he will grow—goal kick had improved

The snap goal against Blues was grab kick in quick time

E 

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:08 am

Great to see this positivity about this young kid. He certainly seems to be growing in confidence, and he seems to be at his best when he is taking the game on. See a space and accelerate through it cleverly. Those who said he was slow may have been referring to his 100 meter speed (which isnt really that relevant. His acceleration off of a standing start or changing direction is borderline elite. Right up there with Crisp and Maynard (and they are terrific at it).

With that combination of quick burst speed and sublime hand skills, he has more than enough weapons to be effective at AFL level.

Imagine how excited we would be about this kid if he was his father's height (184 instead of 178)!!!!!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:44 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
It's interesting the effect that a stuff-up by another player has on some peoples' views of a player's effectiveness. Brown was close to unstoppable in the third quarter. True it is that the 'Pies kicked 8 goals but, really, if Maynard and Elliott had taken the chances Brown created for them late in the quarter, it could have been 10.

That's the second week in a row that he has played a major role in closing the game out for Collingwood. Although he got two great goals (one soda generated by his brilliant, hard-running deep into the goal square and the other generated by his evasive skills and turn of genuine speed over the first couple of steps), it's actually his first-touch hand-skill that is going to destroy oppositions, game in, game out as he develops. As he gets stronger, we're going to get used to watching players stream forward on the back of his exquisite distribution.

I do not want to invite stupid comparisons but it is worth observing that Gary Ablett Jnr did not really run the midfield consistenly until he was two years older than Callum is, at present. At the same age, he was also playing predominantly as a high half-forward.

Just a bump - most of those comments (made following the Brisbane game in April) could be repeated about his game last night.
Pie-For-Life 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 9:55 am

Yes Callum is playing some good football, he was good again last night, his tackling is joy to watch, with his never die attitude he often creates turnovers. We should see further improvement in his game, can't wait to see his further progression.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:30 am

He's looking good. Glad he bounced back after being invisible last week.

I still say the player he can be is basically post OP Luke Ball, who was still a fine player. He's got the same tackling intensity and clean hands and, unfortunately, the same inability to kick 50.

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 10:44 am

^^Quicker and a better runner though, so doesn't have to be restricted to purely inside. His skills in close are very good, but doesn't yet have the strength of Ball. As he develops I expect he'll play more inside but will always have the option to be an outside runner as well.

Played a good one last night, 9 tackles and could have had 3 goals if not for WHE giving away a free. Was again prominent late in the game, including some centre square minutes.

winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:27 pm

Really impressed by Callum this year. Getting better each game he plays.
E 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:38 pm

now we can also add to his list of tricks - can run further than anyone else in the league without bouncing..... was that from just outside the center circle all the way to 45 meters out!!
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:52 pm

Who cares?
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 1:55 pm

He is playing good football, and his fitness seems to be great, enabling him to play his best footy, in last quarters when his opponents are tiring. He definitely got away with one last night, so I hope he learns to bounce the ball next time when he's running 25 metres toward goal! Shocked

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat May 25, 2019 2:30 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 2:09 pm

Brown's been one of the highlights of the season in seeing his development grow.

Love his tackling prowess, and you can see his confidence is continually growing with each passing match.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:19 pm

Jezza wrote:
Brown's been one of the highlights of the season in seeing his development grow.

Love his tackling prowess, and you can see his confidence is continually growing with each passing match.

I must admit with the latest batch of father sons I thought we'd be lucky to get a couple of serviceable footballers and was a bit doubtful we'd find a 'star' but I'm happy to be wrong.

The boy is going to go a long way, he's smart and he's happy to do the hard work. Son of a gun.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Player Forums All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 16 of 20   

Jump to: