Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies thumped by Cats. All comments, please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:50 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Pies2016 wrote:
5 from the wing on debut wrote:
I am not a Buckley fan but I did not say that the loss is Buckley's fault. I said that I thought the players choked, for the 3rd year in a row. I don't know why that occurred. That happens in all sorts of sports all around the world. No-one has answers for why an entire team can do that.

I did comment on how Buckley appeared to be reacting, or not reacting to that, whilst the cameras were on him in the coaches' box.

I assume that the one post in 15 pages referring to Geelong being better than us, was my comment in my post immediately above.I posted the same thing before the game too.

5 F T W O D, I wasn’t directly aiming my previous post at you but obviously you are part of the current conversation. All good.

I’m sure there were one or two posts praising Geelong but you know what I mean when compared to the 15 pages of negativity ( and that’s understandable off such a poor showing ) virtually all aimed at Buckley.

The game was over so quickly, any moves were nothing more than shifting deck chairs on the titanic. No plan A, B, C or D is ever going to work if you don’t have the ball in your hands in the first place. The possessions differential might yet be a finals record.

It’s funny how everything is Bucks fault but you wont hear or read anyone praise Bucks for the development of particular players. ( Rudeboy is a bit of an exception )
This year Moore and Adams were both first time A A s. They have only ever been coached by Bucks during their time at Collingwood. Daicos and Quaynor have been huge improvers but you will struggle to find any acknowledgement of Bucks role in their development on here.

On the flip side, you won’t have to look far to see that Bucks is the obvious blame for Grundy and Stephensons woes.
I have no problem reading criticism of Buckley but I will continue to remain bemused by the lack of objectivity or balance that comes with it.

I get it, we live in a world where social media platforms have become a haven for negativity and agenda driven criticism. But surely that’s nothing that a little much needed balance and objectivity cant fix.

Everyone has a bias in what they post but I try hard to give reasoned opinions rather than just "I like him" or "I don't like him". I hadn't considered blaming Buckley for the output of Grundy and Stephenson this year. Grundy badly needs a ruck coach and if he's not injured, to spend time (more?) with a sports psychologist. Stephenson needs time to recover from glandular fever and to get a pre-season under his belt.

I understand that there are positives with Buckley. No coach is all bad or all good. It's a balance and it changes from week to week, season to season. I believe that he is a better coach now than he was when he commenced but I don't think that will be enough to take him past next season.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:52 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I get it, we live in a world where social media platforms have become a haven for negativity and agenda driven criticism. But surely that’s nothing that a little much needed balance and objectivity cant fix.

Agree. Another beef I have is that every poster has the right to whinge on Nicks about the coach, president, club direction, recruitment etc etc however I don’t get why they don’t attend the AGM and speak there direct to the committee🙄 When I was working I went directly to higher management if my own manager was not responding in a proper manner to sort out an issue.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:54 am

^ Absolutely agree Doris and thanks for providing evidence for this.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:10 pm

Just looking at some pocession numbers for the year compared to Semi

Treloar year average. 27. Semi 18

Tay Adams “. “. 23. “. “. 17. He played with bung arm so cut some slack

Pendlebury. “. “ 24. “. “. 14

Oh yes Stevo. 3 and Cox 4 and others didn’t fare much better

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:24 pm

doriswilgus wrote:
If you look at the stats for the game it shows just how far off our best we were that night,We only had 200 possessions for the whole game.When did that ever happen before?I can’t remember such a low possession count before.16 players,yes 16 players,had ten possessions or less.That’s unheard of as well.Pendelbury had 14 possessions and no clearances as well.That has never happened before either.

The lowest for the season before that putrid effort was, I believe, 232 by Adelaide in their uncompetitive round 4 game against Brisbane at the Gabba.
Lazza 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:30 pm

LAL filled gaps in the team by great recruiting and just won yet another NBA title. We need to do the same by recruiting real talent and piss off those who are not good enough or don’t want to be at Collingwood.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:31 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
doriswilgus wrote:
If you look at the stats for the game it shows just how far off our best we were that night,We only had 200 possessions for the whole game.When did that ever happen before?I can’t remember such a low possession count before.16 players,yes 16 players,had ten possessions or less.That’s unheard of as well.Pendelbury had 14 possessions and no clearances as well.That has never happened before either.

The lowest for the season before that putrid effort was, I believe, 232 by Adelaide in their uncompetitive round 4 game against Brisbane at the Gabba.

Look on the bright side.
We were probably down in the handball backwards to a player under pressure category too.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:37 pm

Yes. Silver linings and all that. We didn't see the move I so enjoyed in the Port game, where Treloar took a brilliant tap in the centre, ran straight to centre half back and handballed to Noble who turned around and kicked it straight to full back. That's always the way to put the opposition defenders under pressure....
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:46 pm

Lazza wrote:
LAL filled gaps in the team by great recruiting and just won yet another NBA title. We need to do the same by recruiting real talent and piss off those who are not good enough or don’t want to be at Collingwood.

LA didn't fill gaps. There are 5 starters on the court in basketball, not 18.
LA were a crap team and recruited James and Davis over two seasons. That's two of the top 5 players in the competition and amounts to 40% of the starting five. As soon as Davis announced he was leaving New Orleans, the Lakers became favorites.

We don't have those sorts of stars in the AFL as the structure of the game doesn't allow it. There aren't any players in the AFL that can dominate like the two Lakers recruits can (we may have had one but he gave up footy and went to Philly).Even if we did, how would we be able to recruit 7 or 8 of them to have the same effect? The days of North in the early 70's are long gone.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:47 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Yes. Silver linings and all that. We didn't see the move I so enjoyed in the Port game, where Treloar took a brilliant tap in the centre, ran straight to centre half back and handballed to Noble who turned around and kicked it straight to full back. That's always the way to put the opposition defenders under pressure....

Yes that was funny.
I notice from the first bounce Geelong just moved the ball forward whether ther e was a player there or not.
Every team left in the finals seems to have adopted the Richmond way of moving the ball.
I thought in both finals we did move the ball forward more.
Trouble was against Geelong we didn't get the ball.
I was amazed when JC hartley put up the stats of us getting only 200 disposals.
Long summer to go.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:

Things were much more simple in the old days. Even when Sheedy won the first clearance after half time against us and went the wrong way, he kicked it as far as he could into our forward line rather than putting a team mate under pressure with a handball!

PS. Was it Cox or Lycett that tapped it to treloar? Just wondering?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:53 pm

Tony Francis, too, in the drawn QF in 1990.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:55 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Tony Francis, too, in the drawn QF in 1990.

Just as a matter of interest, I knew that Murray Rance played in that draw but not the next week. I thought he was dropped but asked him a few years ago what happened. Apparently Monky's elbow happened and he still has the plate in his face.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:15 pm

^ He did play the next week - but not in the Semi-final against Melbourne or the Prelim against Essendon.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:24 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ He did play the next week - but not in the Semi-final against Melbourne or the Prelim against Essendon.

My memory failed me then. The elbow must have been in the replay.

I made a similar faux passe when I mentioned to Michael Green that I still recalled him marking at the edge of the goal square in a final against North, playing on to kick the goal but being caught and dragged down by Frank Gumbleton. He was offended and said to me "No, Frank would never have caught me, it was Brent Crosswell".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 16 of 21   

Jump to: